• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wells Fargo: stupid question gets a stupid response

KOZMOZIS @realchrisharold

Wall Street Apprentice
Wells Fargo associate: “You don’t know where Hudson, Wisconsin is on the map!?”

Me: “No, does it matter? There’s a Wells Fargo there and I want to live in the United States. So what does it matter if the place I live in is small, big, tiny, crime riddled etc.?”

Then I hung up on him since he said he wouldn’t pay for a travel expense and bonus to get set up. Then told me to re apply in September, and it was July. I just said; you know what: screw it.

For a job? And you didn't know about the community that you would be living in? Were I that interviewer, I'd think you were so unserious that you would not stay with the job for long, a liability.

"...he said he wouldn’t pay for a travel expense and bonus to get set up."
Wouldn't pay to get what set up?

"...told me to re apply in September"

Re-apply for what?

What was it you wanted to do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson,_Wisconsin

Housing. I’d need a bonus to get an apartment. And I didn’t have the money to buy a plane ticket. It was for a 40HR teller job @$16/hr but, I guess that’s why I didn’t get the bonus or expenses paid for. I mean: as bad as I want a Harvard education - I can’t afford to even upgrade right now. And I don’t want to do the manuals at the free school which are like 5X thicker than the manuals and work they give you at private upgrading schools.

so I have to take the SAT/GMAT and then I think I’m going to apply to the Anderson school of business at UCLA.

"...he said he wouldn’t pay for a travel expense and bonus to get set up."
Wouldn't pay to get what set up?

"...told me to re apply in September"

Re-apply for what?

What was it you wanted to do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson,_Wisconsin

sorry: re apply for - any position. I should have had a cooler head; befriended him - and made him remember my name. So that in the future I could have gained a better position even. But now: I feel remorse. I get angry sometimes and act irrationally and hurt people - emotionally and kill my chances at building my network with the right people. But I talk to some people from Wall Street on a daily basis and I’m good friends with David Gandler: the CEO of Fubo TV.

For a job? And you didn't know about the community that you would be living in? Were I that interviewer, I'd think you were so unserious that you would not stay with the job for long, a liability.

why? Because I don’t know anything about Hudson? I’d learn to adapt. Just like I adapted when I didn’t know where Vancouver was on the map - but knew it was a (big) city. So all I knew about Vancouver was that it was big. Hudson is tiny. So what? I know what a tiny towns vibe is and I know a lot about Wisconsin. He didn’t ask me: what do you know about Wisconsin? I would have told him everything about Madison, the Badgers, Bucky, Aaron, Cheese Nation etc.

I would want to know about the area first before I even move or apply there. How big is the town, what stores are there, is it near any large town or city. What is the population of the town and in the past. Thanks to the internet and google maps, I can look all this up. Just because something is a city or nearby one doesn't mean it's great. Look at Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Gary Indiana, Cairo Illinois, and Flint Michigan.

Think you need to act or mask interest in interviews. That will get you far.

You simply could state, not sure if that is south in Wisconsin? A lead in question, then the interviewer may have jumped in and told you where.

But you could have mentioned a very Wisconsin sound bite since you have so much knowledge. Asked about the Winter there, (chilly cold with snow as deep as 4ft).

Beautiful state. Went to the Dells and loved the tourist part.

I had to look up Hudson, WI because I had never heard of it and I read it as Houston Wisconsin thinking the interviewer was doing it on purpose to test the OP.

I see it's in the same area as Minneapolis because it is right across the state border. Yeah looks like a good area but snowy in the winter.

why? Because I don’t know anything about Hudson? I’d learn to adapt. Just like I adapted when I didn’t know where Vancouver was on the map - but knew it was a (big) city. So all I knew about Vancouver was that it was big. Hudson is tiny. So what? I know what a tiny towns vibe is and I know a lot about Wisconsin. He didn’t ask me: what do you know about Wisconsin? I would have told him everything about Madison, the Badgers, Bucky, Aaron, Cheese Nation etc.

If you are applying for a job in a part of the country as to which you have no connection (raised there. lived there, family there, went to school there), the employer is going to want to know why you would want to live there. They do not want to risk hiring you and investing in you and having you leave in less than a year because you hate Hudson, Wisconsin.

Google the town. Looks like it's had all kinds of trouble since the pandemic started. But then the pandemic will probably evaporate quicker than the soiled corporate reputation of Wells Fargo.

Looks like a "Kobyashi Maru" opportunity. One worth avoiding.

I can't fathom a company paying for moving and travel expenses for what sounds like an entry level job ($16/hr). The interviewer was probably shocked that you weren't local. (What do you mean you don't know where it is? You don't live here?)

Companies pay to move people who have skills that they can't find locally, not entry level people.

Think you need to act or mask interest in interviews. That will get you far.

You simply could state, not sure if that is south in Wisconsin? A lead in question, then the interviewer may have jumped in and told you where.

But you could have mentioned a very Wisconsin sound bite since you have so much knowledge. Asked about the Winter there, (chilly cold with snow as deep as 4ft).

Beautiful state. Went to the Dells and loved the tourist part.

I kind of don't think autism had anything to do with the OP's behavior or unreasonable expectations here.

I kind of don't think autism had anything to do with the OP's behavior or unreasonable expectations here.

You think differently then l do. I think he really can't show interest in an interview. He doesn't seem motivated. This to me as always been part of autism. Not have motivation, interest to achieve something such as a job. We aren't really lazy, we just find it hard to feel motivation. I go through this in relationships also.

But the job itself, the op's expectations of getting said job are of course are a different senerio. Some places in the US did pay transportation for crappy jobs. Right now, my area has a critical need for garbage drivers. The job sucks for lots of reasons. But we are in critical critical need. Policeman are another job that falls into a critical need in some places. There are actually labor shortages in the US to do the aging population and the pandemic, and the general work ethic of the young which strongly resembles a sloth. The other issue is managerial jobs where you do everything for 12.50 an hour which l find also where l live.

Last edited:
You think differently then l do. I think he really can't show interest in an interview. He doesn't seem motivated. This to me as always been part of autism. Not have motivation, interest to achieve something such as a job. We aren't really lazy, we just find it hard to feel motivation. I go through this in relationships also.

It's funny. I go two meetings of autistic support groups each month, and I see that the people whose autism is most profound are the ones who are looking for work, who are most grateful to be employed, who take their jobs really seriously. You think it is going to be easier for autistic folks to find jobs when autistic people themselves, like you, are saying because we are autistic we are less motivated to find work? Shameful.

@rse92

Somehow l didn't do a very good job conveying what l am saying. We all have different aspects of not being emotionally connected to a reality based NT world. You are free to interpret this in any way you see. I refuse to make judgement calls on myself or others. Some of us are very intelligent and we are quite hard to motivate in many positions. I love certain repetitious jobs but other repetitive jobs would drive me to pulling my hair out. It's difficult to explain.

@rse92

Somehow l didn't do a very good job conveying what l am saying. We all have different aspects of not being emotionally connected to a reality based NT world. You are free to interpret this in any way you see. I refuse to make judgement calls on myself or others. Some of us are very intelligent and we are quite hard to motivate in many positions. I love certain repetitious jobs but other repetitive jobs would drive me to pulling my hair out. It's difficult to explain.

When you say "This to me as always been part of autism. Not have motivation, interest to achieve something such as a job. We aren't really lazy, we just find it hard to feel motivation," you aren't just referring to you, you are referring to we.

We as autistic people cannot fall into the trap of blaming character flaws that have nothing to do with autism on autism. Can't perform well in interviews because you take things literally, you can't read nonverbal communication and you aren't good at small talk? That's autism. Can't perform well in interviews because you aren't motivated? That's not.

Wells Fargo is a big company. Maybe you should re-apply because then you can answer the next interviewer well. You might not get asked to work in Hudson, WI, but maybe somewhere else. If you know beforehand, you can look up information on it. Be prepared that if you aren't applying for a specific location that it could be for anywhere in the country. It's very hard to get a company to pay for your moving expenses. Many/some places (fairly) recently, mostly "lower echelon type" jobs, are having a hard time keeping their employees because a number of people have been collecting bonuses and then just ghosting their employer a few days later.

Addendum: Also good to check if you are able to work remotely (full time.)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom