• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Well, this is all a bit odd.

Hi all.

Im a middle-aged man and have discovered within the last 2 weeks that I have aspergers.
Like anyone in a similar position, this has been both a huge relief but also very surreal and, at times, overwhelming. I am coping well and adjusting to my new life ( that will be a work in progress, its fair to say ).

A lot has fallen into place, but I still have lots of questions. My plan is to get therapy, with my main motivation being protection from those who have bad intentions ( I dont currently have that to contend with ).

Cheers.

welcome to af.png

Alright, welcome to the forum. Everyday is a new one to get more in touch and feel more accepting of yourself.

I came here to figure out someone else and realized l suffered thru the same as the many kind people who contribute their recurring issues such as ruimnation, flapping our hands or stimming, and tactile senstivity, obsession with special interests and of the list continues on.

Welcome!

I was in my mid fifties when I was diagnosed.
Felt the same. It answered a lot of questions, but, seemed unreal I knew nothing about it.

Hi all.

Im a middle-aged man and have discovered within the last 2 weeks that I have aspergers.
Like anyone in a similar position, this has been both a huge relief but also very surreal and, at times, overwhelming. I am coping well and adjusting to my new life ( that will be a work in progress, its fair to say ).

A lot has fallen into place, but I still have lots of questions. My plan is to get therapy, with my main motivation being protection from those who have bad intentions ( I dont currently have that to contend with ).

Cheers.

I was 52. I never had the sense of being overwhelmed or it being surreal. For me it was a relief that I finally had an answer to many of my life's questions, thoughts, and actions. My life hasn't changed for the most part,...but obviously I am much more self-aware of how I am interacting with people, my sensory issues, and how to take care of the health of my brain. Of course,...I now have this forum to interact with, as well. The entire experience has been helpful.

Welcome. I realised I am autistic just this summer at 54. It was a huge relief for me to finally have an answer to why I am as I am. The only thing that really changed for me is more self acceptance. That is a huge deal all by it's self.

Welcome! I hope you find a lot of comfort here.

Welcome! You're still the same you before you were aware, but as you noted, now you may be better able to find tools and resources to help with whatever your needs are :)

Hi @Dave Nicholson and Welcome to the Forums.
There are a number of us in here who were diagnosed later in life.

Do join in the threads but also remember there is a lot of experience reflected in the existing threads, so have a look there.

Alright, welcome to the forum. Everyday is a new one to get more in touch and feel more accepting of yourself.

I came here to figure out someone else and realized l suffered thru the same as the many kind people who contribute their recurring issues such as ruimnation, flapping our hands or stimming, and tactile senstivity, obsession with special interests and of the list continues on.
I always knew I was a good person at heart but found my irritability brought me down, as I couldn't figure out why I was also this way. My lack of patience with people very close to me too, which I now know is because they are aspergers too! I'm already a lot more patient with them, truly empathising now. It feels very nice to be nicer, basically.

Good point there. We have a tendency to check out mentally at the most inopportune times like job interviews, talking to authority figures, taking employment exams. Boredom in all my jobs pushed me up the career path. It also helped me in multitasking positions, where l enjoy juggling lots of mindless tasks to create a outcome to help my employer. I can get irritated when l am bored - l should have prefaced this post.

Last edited:
Welcome! You're still the same you before you were aware, but as you noted, now you may be better able to find tools and resources to help with whatever your needs are :)
Thanks. I think I've markedly changed already and hope I continue to. I feel more "efficient", if you know what I mean. Like I've now switched to high octane fuel. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

New Threads

Top Bottom