• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Well my fan club is at it again

smith2267

For those who haven't been following, I spend most of my time playing a facebook RPG. It is a pretty closed community, and I am about as popular there as you would expect an aspie to be.
They have spread evil rumors about me, sent me hate mail (including on my birthday), done their best to drive me off the game and to destroy the group of players I founded. And now they have goaded me into losing my temper and gotten my FB account suspended or maybe in glitch limbo, I don't know which.
Oh, and they love to accuse me of lying about my ASD. Some of the hat4e mail has been about that.
I am depressed, but still fighting them...

I can relate. I was kinda the equivalent of a "Guild Master" on an MMO. Never had my guys turning on me, but I can imagine how it must feel. Seen it happening to other people as well. My best advice, if you feel like is affecting you too much, take a break from the game.

Most interest-group communities will face splits because of deviant opinions. In where I live, the brony, bus and Japanese culture (Toku) communities all faced splits, and the ones bearing the brunt of the conflicts would most likely be people with Autism and other learning disabilities.

As a result of our desire to keep our interest alive, I and a few friends decided to found an alternative interest group based on these interests, specially for all of us, the bullied and the oppressed. It's invite-only, and only for Singaporeans, because the other founders (excluding me) think that we should be 'uniquely Singapore'.

I have my disagreements with my group already. If the rest of them really want to keep a 'Singapore culture' and think my ideas are of a threat to them, then there will be more splits in the group.

So, logically, in my view of different interest groups, it's all about rallying some members and following the leader, and then keeping all the people who think different out from the groups.

Dr. Temple Grandin might have said that interests are integral for getting those on the autism spectrum socializing with other people. (Temple Grandin | Counseling for those with Autism Spectrum Disorders) I agree on this, only on the premise that the clearly defined goals and objectives she did mention achieve a desirable outcome for all who are involved. If the group is exclusionary in the first place, then this talk of 'interest-based group' being beneficial for those with ASDs is pointless, because without a common objective, there will be conflicts and then, the whole thing carries on without end.

Interest-based groups don't work with Aspies, unless the group is for everybody in the group, including the Aspies. Most groups aren't there for all members with the same interest.

Don't fight them. Don't form another group.

If you really do, perhaps you can share your interests in another more supportive group, where everyone has the common aim to bring out the love and passion of your passion, together, instead of being subject to popularity contests.

New Threads

Top Bottom