• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

People who claim disability benefits for "bad backs" when there's clearly nothing otherwise wrong with them, yet genuinely disabled people have to literally try and get blood from a stone to claim anything, but the useless Clowns in the DWP are literally falling over themselves to give money to these fakers.
Yeah, that annoys me too. I knew a guy who had a big disability battle going on for years, because he supposedly had a "bad back" and when he got all his money, he took his family to Disney world, bad back and all.:rolleyes:

My brother treating me like a slave because he's too bone-idle to get up and do something himself - always having some kind of debilitating condition that prevents him from doing even basic tasks such as doing the pots or making himself a drink of juice/tea (a bad back seems to be a common one with him).

Hyperbole on weather forecasts which are not out of the ordinary for the time of year. Like saying that an area will be "slammed" by thunderstorms, instead of just predicting thunderstorms.

Hyperbole on weather forecasts which are not out of the ordinary for the time of year. Like saying that an area will be "slammed" by thunderstorms, instead of just predicting thunderstorms.

Then you must be at war with broadcast cable news networks. ;)

Where everything is hyped to a fever pitch. Excuse me....I have some BREAKING NEWS to report! :rolleyes:

Yeah. Media of all sorts is simply out of control. Whether they report the weather or the news.

Last edited:
I like to visit the government weather page, because they simply report the weather, and give warnings when appropriate without the hyperbole. Even more annoying, the mainstream weather forecasters have been getting it wrong - a LOT! Like predicting heavy rainstorms that never happen. :rolleyes:

I like to visit the government weather page, because they simply report the weather, and give warnings when appropriate without the hyperbole. Even more annoying, the mainstream weather forecasters have been getting it wrong - a LOT! Like predicting heavy rainstorms that never happen. :rolleyes:

Good point. The gap between an accurate forecast and all those generic ones across the Internet who consistently get it wrong.

When fangirls saw their handsome or charming male idol's photo on social network, and comment "ovaries exploded".
I was freak out and imaging the actual pain if my ovaries literally exploded.
So, how the phrase was made, it doesn't make any sense at all.

When fangirls saw their handsome or charming male idol's photo on social network, and comment "ovaries exploded".
I was freak out and imaging the actual pain if my ovaries literally exploded.
So, how the phrase was made, it doesn't make any sense at all.

I think that is because of our tendency to take things literally. A couple of weeks ago I was driving around with my son, looking for his sons missing dog. He told me to "keep my eyes peeled", meaning to look for the dog. While I knew what he meant, I could not wonder how much it would hurt to have your eyes peeled. Oh well, it couldn't be much worse than "keeping your nose to the grindstone".

carl-jung-irritates-759x500.jpg

I do not recall if it has been mentioned, but I am very bothered by the use of the word "literally" in non-literal contexts.

I do not recall if it has been mentioned, but I am very bothered by the use of the word "literally" in non-literal contexts.

Just now,
You said
You "literally" couldn't get out of bed.
That really makes me want to literally smack a
Crowbar upside your stupid head!

-"Weird" Al Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

I'm annoyed by the word stupid. When people call others stupid simply based on assumption, they are the ones actually being stupid, for not taking the time to know that person. Stupid is as stupid does.

Cold callers.

TV and radio commercials

Audience laughter in comedy shows

Assistant in supermarket packing two items into ten separate plastic bags when they will all fit into one bag.

Stereotypes. People assuming that because I'm from the UK that I MUST like tea. People just assuming things, like because I'm a northern European living in a Mediterranean country that I MUST like going to the beach and sunbathing - they actually seem quite shocked when I tell them that I don't like going to the beach and sitting in the sun.

The film "Burning Bright".
For those who aren't aware of it, it's a 2010 horror-thriller film about a girl called Kelly and her younger brother Tom (who has severe Autism) trying to survive been trapped in a house with a starving Bengal Tiger.

I thought I'd watch it to pass the time as I was bored and hadn't seen it before and since the Tiger was actually real for the most part instead of just CGI, but angrily turned it off after it showed a dream scene of Kelly suffocating her younger brother with a pillow.
The motivation behind this in the film is that Kelly wants to send her brother away to a place where he can be cared for so she can go to college as her and Tom's parents are both dead, but is unable to do so.

Needless to say, it's stuff like this that really bugs me; we've already had other films showing parents wanting to kill their Autistic kids and a recent news article of a man leaving his adult autistic daughters in a hot RV which resulted in the death of one of them.
I think stuff like this shouldn't be shown in movies, personally, as I feel all it does is bolster the idea that we're more trouble then we're worth.

Trapped with a starving Bengal tiger? That's a plot we've never seen before.o_O

How about the "The Life of Pi". He was trapped on a life boat adrift in the ocean with a Bengal tiger. Excellent movie.

Audience laughter in comedy shows

Yes, if a show is really funny, we at home don't need to be told, "Now is the time to laugh". It's the main reason why I gave up on "The Big Bang Theory", quite apart from it being a perfect example of nerd blackface. "Ooh, look at Sheldon, let's laugh at him because he's different, he doesn't see the world the way us normal people do, and let's never mention the fact he has Asperger's Syndrome, because then we'll be accused of being the small-minded bigots we are".

People eating noisy with mouth open... Reminds me of old cannibal guy from "the hills have eyes" [emoji13]

Not just open mouths. The smell of of people eating. Eating and licking fingers!!!! It makes me sick. Eat and keep it to yourselves. Then Burping loudly when they are done. WTF!!?? Keep it to yourself.

New Threads

Top Bottom