• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

Being at a store and they ask, "Do you need help with anything?" and I answer , "No thanks, I'm just looking.", but they ask me again like every two minutes. If I needed their help I would ask *them*. But of course then they'd naturally be too "busy". Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.:mad:

They're not being polite or helpful at all, they're being obnoxious, pushy salespeople trying to send me on a guilt trip for not buying anything. Or for buying something but not more things to "go" with it, like that time my mom and I went to a store to buy me a new raincoat, and the woman working there just kept trying to get my mom and I to buy shirts that "went" with the coat we picked. It's an outdoor coat, I don't care what kind of indoor clothes I'll be wearing under it as long as it keeps them dry when it rains.:rolleyes:

Being at a store and they ask, "Do you need help with anything?" and I answer , "No thanks, I'm just looking.", but they ask me again like every two minutes. If I needed their help I would ask *them*. But of course then they'd naturally be too "busy". Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.:mad:

They're not being polite or helpful at all, they're being obnoxious, pushy salespeople trying to send me on a guilt trip for not buying anything. Or for buying something but not more things to "go" with it, like that time my mom and I went to a store to buy me a new raincoat, and the woman working there just kept trying to get my mom and I to buy shirts that "went" with the coat we picked. It's an outdoor coat, I don't care what kind of indoor clothes I'll be wearing under it as long as it keeps them dry when it rains.:rolleyes:
This is extremely annoying and the reason for my reluctance to enter stores. I'm very direct with them and if they approach me more that once or are to pushy, I have no issue with telling them that I will ask them if I need anything, otherwise they should leave me alone. The best approach is to be firm, direct, but polite. Often they are doing this because they are have been instructed by their supervisor to do so, but to force themselves on customers in this way is poor business tactics and counter-productive IMO as it just makes people not want to visit the store.

A few of the things that annoy me:
  • Seeing someone leave a movie I've seen, partway through the film; I worry that they're not getting the "whole picture."
  • Committing an unintended solecism; sometimes, it's intentional, if I disagree with grammatical rules.
  • The sentence, "We're all the same." NO! WE'RE NOT! How presumptuous! Diversity exists!
  • The particular people, in my country (Canada), who say, "I love soccer," when they don't: watch it, play it, understand it, or ever make it a part of their lives. They'll just see it, or hear about it, and suddenly they're a "connoisseur," who will switch interests, 5 seconds later. I remember hearing people, in 2010, assuring me, unsarcastically, that Canada would win the 2010 World Cup. They said this, while the tournament was happening, and Canada hadn't even qualified for it, i.e. our national team wasn't even playing, in the tournament.
  • The enforcement of saying, "Excuse me," after sneezing. Why apologize for an involuntary, biological function? What's next? "I apologize for the urination I committed, in the washroom."

The neighbour's dog that barks non-stop and annoys all the neighbours, not just me, but they do nothing about it.
People using some strange, obscure acronym and expecting everyone to automatically know what they are talking about.
The obscure acronyms really annoy me. You know what I hate even more? Rather than the acronym user explaining what the acronym represents (for example, saying, "'NHL' stands for 'National Hockey League'"), they will blame me for not being "cool enough" to understand its meaning. More generally, I hate it when someone communicates nebulously, and then blames the listener, for not understanding. That's poor communication, for one to not take responsibility for their own lack of lucidity.

The obscure acronyms really annoy me. You know what I hate even more? Rather than the acronym user explaining what the acronym represents (for example, saying, "'NHL' stands for 'National Hockey League'"), they will blame me for not being "cool enough" to understand its meaning. More generally, I hate it when someone communicates nebulously, and then blames the listener, for not understanding. That's poor communication, for one to not take responsibility for their own lack of lucidity.
With acronyms it's a case of 1. being lazy, or 2. people forgetting that on an international forum or website people come from different countries and won't automatically know that NHL means "National Hockey League" - I didn't - I don't live in Canada and don't follow hockey, so why would I? People think that if something is obvious to them, it must be obvious to everyone. Then they accuse us of not possessing a theory of mind.

The enforcement of saying, "Excuse me," after sneezing. Why apologize for an involuntary, biological function? What's next? "I apologize for the urination I committed, in the washroom."

I've not heard of the practice of saying "Excuse me", after sneezing before, which makes me wonder if its a cultural practice that isn't common place in the UK but is in Canada? What do you think? (Or maybe it's just that I've not come across it before?) The only situation in which I can imagine it might be said would be if the sneezing were an interruption to others, say in a meeting.

Last edited:
I've not heard of the practice of saying "Excuse me", after sneezing before, which makes me wonder if its a cultural practice that isn't common place in the UK but is in Canada? What do you think? (Or maybe it's just that I've not come across it before?) The only situation in which I can imagine it might be said would be if the sneezing were an interruption to others, say in a meeting.

I've always been taught to say "Bless Me" after I sneeze or "Bless You" if someone else sneezes - I'm guessing this is the same/a similar thing.

Something that really annoys me is people who feel the need to point out how 'weird' or 'random' they are. Whenever people that I don't know much do anything around me, whether they're just having fun or making random jokes, they just look at me and say stuff like: "stop being so weird guys, we're gonna scare her off". Just talking loudly or being informal is NOT being weird. Everybody is different, you are not 'random' just because you happen to let loose or act spontaneously in front of me. I just don't get it.

It's so funny that this thread is really long - and has been revived. Guess we feel pretty strongly about the (many) things that bug us?! :)

I can relate to many that you've mentioned and there is a metric ton of stuff I find annoying. But, two examples:

DIY shows on TV - they talk to me as though I'm an idiot and - omg - I can't take it. 'Better Homes and Gardens', I think, is an Aussie example.

And hmm...in the same vein, I am deeply disturbed by shows we have here in Australia - morning tv shows. I imagine other countries have similar. They have news and other segments, interviews and introduce products (which is essentially advertising dumb products grrr!) and what really gets me is the quality of what they offer (and their ideas) seems to be so poor. It's like they're appealing to the lowest common denominator in society. I've warned all my kids never to watch them because I believe, if you do, you will actually lose intelligence over time.

Edit: Now I think about it, I don't know if it's that weird to hate these things. But it just seems like people around me don't find them as difficult as I do.

True Movies becoming (temporarily at least) "Sony Movies: Christmas" and playing Christmas films, which it's been doing since the start of September if not before.

Seriously, it's not even Halloween yet and they're already broadcasting Christmas films.
Even worse, some of the Christmas films are pretty recent (one of which was from 2013 and starred Susan Boyle), yet the quality of the films makes it look like someone decided to play a pirated VHS copy.

When it's a nice day and you're waiting for the bus, smokers will usually stand outside the bus shelter to have a puff - which is usually fine as long as the wind isn't blowing towards us.
However, when its a rainy day, smokers instead stand inside the bus shelter to light up and so you either have to stand there and bear it (which I cannot do as cigarette smoke is repulsive to many of us) or you have to stand outside the bus shelter in the rain.
Seriously, why can't the smokers stand outside the bus shelter with an umbrella or just wait until later to have a puff on their cigarettes?

Last edited:
Today is Family Day in Canada, or Heritage day as it's called in Nova Scotia. I know most other people are happy because they have Monday off, the most evil day of the week. But I have no job so it's only a inconvenience to me because the stores are all closed except for maybe the drug store, and it's only because I'm lucky that I have enough groceries to survive until tomorrow when the grocery stores will be open. I've been stuck in my apartment since Thursday. It's either been too stormy or too cold, and people are too germy right now for me to go outside. And it just seems like a dumb excuse of a holiday to me. I've got nothing about my heritage to be proud of, my ancestors were nothing but a bunch of grubby white parasites who came to North America to commit genocide and infect natives with their filthy European diseases. Yeah I'm like, really proud of that. Not.

Small talk - especially about the weather. Yes it rains, this is England, button up.

The mere existence of someone returning from a vacation abroad - I don't want to hear it.

People recanting dreams they've had. Not the nicest thing to hear when you wake up, especially with that morning breath - zip it.

Going out photos. All dolled up and taking photos in a toilet - glamour.

Ricers - not sure why the car modifying community has so many posers.

The news/media and people reading articles out loud. There's numerous reasons I don't read the news, but hearing people melodramatically read out articles and then start discussing how terrible they are winds me up.

Queues - one reason I don't go to theme parks. You spend most of the day waiting in a queue for a ride that lasts a minute or two. That's a poor return on investment.

Pop music - makes me really uncomfortable inside. Especially European and Asian pop music. Nobody can/should sound that happy.

Boring people who adopt/adapt stereotypes. There's all sorts of examples I've encountered over the years. People who live for their racial or sexual identity like it defines their entirety because they haven't got much else rattling around inside their heads.

Not sure what else, that's just an off the cuff set of examples. There's hundreds more. When I vocalise these thoughts I do so in my sarcastic tone of voice. So people who hear me are laughing. I'm not sure if some people realise these aren't just humorous rants - these are my genuine loathes. But nobody is fond of someone who constantly moans, but if you do it whilst making it funny at the same time, apparently that works well. Maybe it's a British thing - self-deprecating humour.

Ed

TV channels playing the exact same movies week, after week, after week, after week...
(Seriously ITV2, how many times can you play the Nanny McPhee movies?)

I absolutely hate when people try to use a pencil erasor that has been reduced to a metal stub. The sound that the metal stubb makes causes me physcial pain and nausea. Just please, either get a new pencil or ask to borrow someone elses erasor.

I hate talking to people who use poor grammer, pronunctiation, and use words incorrectly. I think it's rather hypocritical of me in a way, as I often misread situtions and say the wrong things for the current mood. However, I can not help but be annoyed by other peoples faux pas.

People who do not debate but insist that they know the truth which is only copied from the authorities. And also want to put your life in order and fix a routine for you. In essence those who have no improvisational capabilities or appreciation.

For me it is as follows,

Socially required hugs

Automatic checkouts

Loud exhaust on economy cars

People who expect you and a friend to somehow act different together, my favorite example of this is the you must be bf/gf because you hugged syndrome

Because I'm so spaced out people think that I don't want to have a hug. Actually this has made the whole hugging business awkward. I do not really shy away from the physical and connection part. It is like my spatial awareness has made it hard. So I don't want hugs because I'm limited while I think it would great to have a hug.

Well, mine is a particular thing that I am not sure anyone else can relate to! I belong to a sort of spiritual online forum, and there is this one woman who is friends with the creator of the website. Every night, we go to live chat, to say a prayer for the current pandemic situation, and she has taken it upon herself to do this silly countdown in caps every freaking night because we pray at the same time together. And she is always tipsy, so the chat which had been fun and rated G, becomes sleazy as she shares vulgar topics and makes jokes that are in poor taste. I have had to not come into chat while she is there, because her behavior infuriates me. I block her so that I can't see the inane comments she is making, but then I can't understand what others are referencing when they reply to her. Ugh!

Choceur's Belgian Chocolate Waves - Orange flavour.
Belgian-Chocolate-Waves-A-630x480.jpeg

Put simply, they're so moreish it's pretty much impossible to stop eating them once I start.

New Threads

Top Bottom