• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

Hashtags. They're not only everywhere, but there are usually three of them with every ridiculous post now. I even see them on YouTube under the titles of the videos. It just gives people an ever higher feeling of false superiority.
You how they use typewriter symbols in place of swear words? That's how I want to print hashtags,
#$@!!*, #!!%$, #@%!?!!:smilingimp:
I agree with this - I don't get the hashtag thing either. I know it has something to do with Twitter, but I don't use Twitter and don't know how it works, so these hashtags mean nothing to me and are just silly.

I agree with this - I don't get the hashtag thing either. I know it has something to do with Twitter, but I don't use Twitter and don't know how it works, so these hashtags mean nothing to me and are just silly.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* they have the function of causing Twitter's engine to essentially focus on the word, and "categorize" the tweet based on it. Overall it likely affects various search functions, making it easy to see more people tweeting about the same topic, and probably also makes it easier to see just how popular said topic is at the time. Probably also has some effect on notifications with followers.

The real question to me is why everyone starting using it in IRL conversation. That'll never seem anything other than stupid to me.

I get upset by ignorance of all types including misspellings and grammatical errors online. Although I know it is not rational and even unfair, there seems to be something that frightens me about any reminder of how poorly educated/ignorant so many people are. Of course I can come across as arrogant if I say this and it's difficult to explain to people that it's a kind of fear. If you don't know the difference between your and you're it scares me that you are allowed to vote. I will add that usually I can tell if someone on the internet is not a native English speaker and that is quite a different thing. I have a strong compulsion to correct people who are wrong/inaccurate. I do it on Pinterest all the time because I know it's unacceptable in real life with people I know.

I get upset by ignorance of all types including misspellings and grammatical errors online. Although I know it is not rational and even unfair, there seems to be something that frightens me about any reminder of how poorly educated/ignorant so many people are. Of course I can come across as arrogant if I say this and it's difficult to explain to people that it's a kind of fear. If you don't know the difference between your and you're it scares me that you are allowed to vote. I will add that usually I can tell if someone on the internet is not a native English speaker and that is quite a different thing. I have a strong compulsion to correct people who are wrong/inaccurate. I do it on Pinterest all the time because I know it's unacceptable in real life with people I know.

I have the same propensities. My sister refers to this habit of mine as 'getting the red pen out'. I don't fear any of the things that bother you, but I do automatically register mistakes that I recognize (there are many I don't recognize because I'm not that smart).

People constantly hollering my name

People suddenly tapping me (I HATE that!)

Being stuck in a class with everyone smarter than me (stupid nerds with their big brains, while I'm sitting over here with no god dang brain at all..)

Things that confuse me (when am I ever not confused!?)

LOUD NOISES THAT HURT MY EARS

ODORS

STICKY, MOLDY, DRIED UP FOOD STAINS

Spider webs!

Crawly skin!

Itchiness (I'm always itchijg and scratching!)

Constant predictive text and typos!

(Many more later when I think of it)

Starers! I HATE, HATE, HATE people who stare! They just stare like they're are so god dang better just because I'm 'weird'! (So what!? BOO! Got a problem, ya normalist/ablist!?)

People leaving their junk everywhere! (I swear to god, animals areare cleaner than humans)

PEOPLE CALLING ANIMALS FUMB OR STUPID (ARE YOU SERIOUS!? I've met dumber humans and smarter animals!!! "Don't project people emotions onto animals" HOW ABOUT don't project people emotions onto HUMANS!? HM!?)

My plain old had luck..

There are so many things to name that annoy me. That's why I'm always stressed and can NEVER EVER relax! Even if I seem happy, my bad luck/curse always punishes me for it!

Ebay and Amazon sending me emails trying to get me to spend money I don't have on junk I have no interest in. Because of this I usually browse on my private screen.

I understand this one doesn't affect me or many of us anymore, but I was looking back on some old stuff at home and got reminded of this:

Your first day of school after the six-week summer holidays come to an end. After 6 weeks of doing pretty much whatever you wanted (within reason and within the restrictions/rules of your home), having to get up at the crack of dawn on that first weekday back was always a challenge - let alone "getting your head in gear" when it came to your lessons and trying to focus in your first assembly back.
(It was made worse if you'd been given homework to complete over the holidays and you decided to leave it until the last minute to get it done).

This is not particularly weird, but: the fact that just about any website you visit deposits a cookie on your computer. Without your permission. Then you get a cookie notification asking you if it is ok, or if you agree to the cookie. What is the point??? It's not like they are giving you any choice over the matter.

I understand this one doesn't affect me or many of us anymore, but I was looking back on some old stuff at home and got reminded of this:

Your first day of school after the six-week summer holidays come to an end. After 6 weeks of doing pretty much whatever you wanted (within reason and within the restrictions/rules of your home), having to get up at the crack of dawn on that first weekday back was always a challenge - let alone "getting your head in gear" when it came to your lessons and trying to focus in your first assembly back.
(It was made worse if you'd been given homework to complete over the holidays and you decided to leave it until the last minute to get it done).

I can relate to this! My schooldays were decades ago, and now I am on "the other side," and teach at a university. I still get the feelings of dread and impending doom that the slogan "back to school" used to give me all those years ago when I was attending school myself. And, much like in my schooldays, the actual experience of being at work, once the term had started, isn't anything like as bad as the the anticipation. But still, that feeling of the summer, or the Christmas break, being over, and the return to the term-time routine, brings a numbing feeling of dread and desolation. Strange...

The Weather Network, where I go online to check the... weather forecast, what else? They make everything sound like a major catastrophe, using words in ALL CAPS. I guess it's because it's boring to just say things like, "it will rain, there will be snow, it will be cloudy, it will be windy, bla bla bla" It's like the drama queen with a sniffle who claims it's a horrible illness and they're literally dying.

The Weather Network, where I go online to check the... weather forecast, what else? They make everything sound like a major catastrophe, using words in ALL CAPS. I guess it's because it's boring to just say things like, "it will rain, there will be snow, it will be cloudy, it will be windy, bla bla bla" It's like the drama queen with a sniffle who claims it's a horrible illness and they're literally dying.

I've noticed a growing trend for this kind of drama in the UK in recent years. In the old days we just had Weather. Sometimes it was wet, sometimes it was dry, sometimes cold, sometimes hot. These days they have taken up the US style of having storms with names, and generally trying to whip up a feeling of impending tension and drama, when really it is just a bit of weather.

When a website demands that you turn off your Adblocker before you can view/use their content, but when you do turn off your Adblocker the page bombards you so many ads that your browser either slows down to a snail's pace or crashes altogether.

Whenever I try to move a reduced window to a different location on my screen, Windows makes it fullscreen grrr!

Commercials/ads for schools or jobs where the actor proclaims, "If I can do it, you/anyone can do it!" This is assuming that everyone is at the same level of learning when, in fact, people learn differently. What happens if someone can't do it? Then they'll feel like a screw up. Everyone has different abilities and limitations, and that's okay. We're not all meant to do the same thing. I know I'll never be a mathematician, and that's okay. I just have an issue with the message that just because someone is able to do something, we all can.

This morning on my way to work, I overheard this from a college student and it really wound me up.

Just so you know, the bus I catch to work is mainly for college students but since it passes through where I live and goes past my workplace in good time, I catch it as long as the college is open and not closed for half term.
Anywho, while the bus was approaching my stop, I overheard a male college student talking to a girl in the seat behind him. The guy was skinny, wearing glasses, had messy blonde hair with a bluish tinge, had a nose-ring and was on his phone - saying to the girl "It says here that men are (X amount of times) more likely to get struck by lightning than women".
As he puts his phone down, however, he then declared "and that's because all men are stupid".

What annoyed me wasn't the fact that men get struck by lightning more than women as that's scientifically proven - what honestly annoyed me was the guy's conclusion that the reason men got struck more was because of our 'lack of intelligence'.
Thinking about it as I walked to work and contemplating what I would have said if he'd said it a good portion of time before I was due to get off, I would probably have said the following to him:

"Mate, that's utter crap. For starters, Lightning doesn't single you out because your intelligence quotient is below a certain number.
The reason men get struck more than lightning more is firstly because we're more likely to work outdoor jobs like construction, roofing, fitting aerials/satellite dishes, etc. that require us to be in high places and sometimes in bad weather.
Secondly, we're more likely to engage in hobbies or sports that require you to be outside such as Football (soccer to anyone from the USA), Golf, Baseball and Fishing.
Thirdly, when we need something essential we're more likely to brave the bad weather to get what we need while women will usually get what they need another day or wait out the weather to see if it'll clear up". (I've lost count of the amount of times when me or my mum have needed something, I get ready to go and get it and my Mum tells me not to because it's chucking it down outside).
(An additional point my female colleague at work made when I told her was that Lightning travels the shortest way to the ground and that men are on average taller than women - that one got a giggle out of me).

At this point, I would go more into a rant:
"As for your claim that all men are stupid, who's responsible for building and piping up the gas, water and electricity in all the houses we're going past? Who's responsible for building and maintaining the bus we're riding on? Who's responsible for creating and providing the internet used to spread that fact and others around and who's responsible for building your phone that you used to read that fact? The answer to all those questions, buddy, is men - who, according to you, are all stupid.
To add to that, some men are stupid and some men do indeed do stupid things, but some of those stupid things helped changed the world for the better; Columbus was called stupid for wanting to sail west yet he did and discovered the Americas; People were called stupid for wanting to break the sound barrier, but they did and we can now travel around the world faster than we could decades ago; People were called stupid for wanting to go into space and land on the Moon, but we did and that moment where Neil Armstrong declared "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" has become enshrined in history as one of America's greatest achievements".
(My female colleague agreed with me on all of this).

I'd then finish with an insult:
"So to correct you, mate, not all men are stupid - you certainly are though".

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom