• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

If the late Richard Burton (a Welshman-married to Elizabeth Taylor) can be taught to speak so beautifully then there’s hope for us all.

LOL. Richard Burton. (The Klansman) He along with so many other of his peers who meet what amount to a "brick wall" in acting. All those Brits who do such an amazing job imitating a generic American dialect.

Yet when they attempt Southern dialects, most of them fell on their faces. Including some held in very high esteem, such as actor James Mason. (Mandingo)

Sorry but why should I learn to speak "Posh" just cos Indian and even some UK based call centres don't understand me? It's THEIR problem, not mine.

It's ultimately incumbent on you to have to deal with them on their terms- not your own.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, but rather business expenses and logistics. Employers who choose to control their overhead costs through the use of a lesser-expensive foreign labor pool. A labor pool that isn't going to be trained to cater to some 43+ dialects in the United Kingdom and will likely have a regional accent of their own for us customers to suffer through.

Been there, done that too. It's not something you can escape short of finding a specific vendor who promotes the idea of using domestic employees for their own call centers. But even then there's no guarantee they will understand your particular dialect.

If speaking "posh" helps enables you to have a better customer service experience, do it. Or be forced to learn your own skills in trouble-shooting as I have done in some cases. Those are realistically your only choices in such matters.

Yes, it's annoying as hell. I agree. But it's a business dynamic that isn't likely to change either. The notion that "the customer is always right" is one that is indicative of a bygone era.

Last edited:
Though out of necessity I tend to speak with a generic "yankee" accent. What I find remarkable about Britain though is the short distances that can define such radically different accents. Over here you usually have to do some traveling before you run into accents you may have difficulty understanding. Also migration, transportation and communications are eroding regionalism here as well.

I have a very generic British accent. I'm glad I don't have a Cardiff accent (the city I'm from) as it's...horrendous :p. People (English people) have on occasion said that I sound Welsh, but I don't in any way.

This was the only video I could find with a pretty decent 'Cardiff accent', if you ignore that random bit at the start, he then does the accent - although it's nowhere near as bad as some people you hear with a really strong accent.

I have a very generic British accent. I'm glad I don't have a Cardiff accent (the city I'm from) as it's...horrendous :p. People (English people) have on occasion said that I sound Welsh, but I don't in any way.

This was the only video I could find with a pretty decent 'Cardiff accent', if you ignore that random bit at the start, he then does the accent - although it's nowhere near as bad as some people you hear with a really strong accent.

Do you know who Matthew Rhys is? I seldom hear his native accent as he's been playing a Russian pretending to be an American for six years now. (The Americans)

I believe he's from Cardiff. Interesting accent, though not as bad as others IMO.

Great tv series that just ended, if you haven't seen it. ;)

Do you know who Matthew Rhys is? I seldom hear his native accent as he's been playing a Russian pretending to be an American for six years now. (The Americans)

I believe he's from Cardiff. Interesting accent, though not as bad as others IMO.

I had no idea who he is :p but his accent sounds like it's more Welsh than Cardiff. I looked him up on Wikipedia and he is indeed from Cardiff, but he attended a Welsh medium school, so that would probably account for the more 'Welshy' accent.

I had no idea who he is :p but his accent sounds like it's more Welsh than Cardiff. I looked him up on Wikipedia and he is indeed from Cardiff, but he attended a Welsh medium school, so that would probably account for the more 'Welshy' accent.

He has a flawless generic American accent. But then he's in good company with so many talented actors from the UK.

He plays what we call an "illegal". Not south of the border, but rather an unregistered agent of a foreign power. In this instance he and his "wife" are deep cover KGB agents having been in the US for many years. Living directly across the street from his neighbor who works in the counterintelligence division of the FBI.

A story of real espionage...without all the fictional trappings of author Ian Fleming.

He has a flawless generic American accent. But then he's in good company with so many talented actors from the UK.

He plays what we call an "illegal". Not south of the border, but rather an unregistered agent of a foreign power. In this instance he and his "wife" are deep cover KGB agents having been in the US for many years. Living directly across the street from his neighbor who works in the counterintelligence division of the FBI.

A story of real espionage...without all the fictional trappings of author Ian Fleming.

Oh that sounds really good Judge- is the name of the series The Americans? Is it on a network or special channel?

Hearing people call the United States OF America as just "America". Also there are two Americas, north and south. I live in Canada, which is a country in North America. I usually refer to the other country as the USA, the US, or just "the states", but I would rather have my tongue yanked out than call it America. However, I still refer to people from the US as Americans. If I called them "United Stations" I'd get some weird looks.

Steel guitars, and "fart cans" on cars.
Oh, and political/religious bumper stickers and stick family decals.
family_decals.png

Though I would purchase the one on the right....

When you and your family or friends are eating mixed chocolates from a tin/tub/box (such as Roses, Heroes, Celebrations, Quality Street, etc.) and someone eats one of the chocolates before then putting the empty wrapper back in with the rest of the chocolates.
Whenever this happens, I can't help but think "Seriously, put the wrapper in the bin!".

Today I went to the 8 items or less checkout at the grocery store with three items, and the woman in front of me clearly had way more than eight items but the cashier just rings them all in.

If I were the cashier, I would just scan the first eight items and give them the total. And when they ask why I didn't scan all of it, I'll say "Because you can only pay for eight items or less at this checkout. You'll have to pay for the rest of them at a different checkout so the customer behind you who actually has under eight items won't have to wait." And then their reaction at my "rudeness" would probably make a great cringe video for YouTube.

When you are placed on hold with a customer service representative, and then are forced to listen to a loop of horrible music which then becomes an unwanted ear worm!

Or when they say "your call is important to us." That is one of the biggest, filthiest lies ever told, along with "you may feel some slight discomfort", and "one size fits all".:laughing:

Hashtags. They're not only everywhere, but there are usually three of them with every ridiculous post now. I even see them on YouTube under the titles of the videos. It just gives people an ever higher feeling of false superiority.
You how they use typewriter symbols in place of swear words? That's how I want to print hashtags,
#$@!!*, #!!%$, #@%!?!!:smilingimp:

New Threads

Top Bottom