• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird sensory issue

JayK74

To start things off, I haven’t been officially diagnosed, but I do suspect I may fall on the spectrum. One of my reasons I suspect is I have some weird sensory issues; for example I hate bright lights and so I sit at home in the dark. One of my weirder sensory issues is that I absolutely hate to be touched (other than quick high fives). The main thing is like if someone bumps or even grabs my arm, it automatically kinda “locks” up, and then it twitches and then is back to normal. Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else?

To start things off, I haven’t been officially diagnosed, but I do suspect I may fall on the spectrum. One of my reasons I suspect is I have some weird sensory issues; for example I hate bright lights and so I sit at home in the dark. One of my weirder sensory issues is that I absolutely hate to be touched (other than quick high fives). The main thing is like if someone bumps or even grabs my arm, it automatically kinda “locks” up, and then it twitches and then is back to normal. Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else?

Hi JayK74,

I have not been diagnosed either. I have sensory issues to light, and am always closing the blinds at home, and I sleep with a sleep mask to block out light. I don't know about the touching issue, but I don't like being hugged. I also sleep on top of bed covers, and don't like being under the covers. An exception, however, is that I recently started sleeping under a weighted blanket with a soft, plush covering. I have other quirks, like not being able to smile for photos without great difficulty. My biggest issue, however, is chronic insomnia. I have a team of doctors trying to figure out the insomnia.

Anyway, welcome to these forums!

Lots of us self-diagnosed around here...
What helped me feel more certain about the correctness of my own diagnosis were the online AQ and RAADS tests, and just hanging out here for a month sharing experiences with others.

As for sensory issues, I know there's lots of those around here.. I don't personally have them too strongly.. I think I'm slightly more sensitive to light than most people, which I only noticed because people have always asked me why I squint so much.. Apparently it's brighter for me than it is for them..
And, I'm a picky eater, mostly due to the texture, not flavour, of food.

I'm awkward about physical touch, but it doesn't generally bother me.

Hi Jay and welcome. My sensory issues definitely involve touch - don't like being touched, also have to feel every piece of clothing in place (don't know how people can tolerate straps slipping down their arm, or socks slipping down, etc) almost an obsession with soft, can't tolerate stiff or itchy.
Also a picky eater - mostly due to texture, also. Squint and sneeze a lot in the sun and always kept curtains and shades closed. Certain noises can be torturous.

Welcome to Autism Forums. I think you'll find that a great many of us have any number of such sensitivities. Touch, light, smell, sound, texture....you name it. And in different amplitudes.

Low and high pitched sounds and cigarette smoke are things that I'm the most sensitive to. Though I don't like lots of outdoor light and tend to favor 5000k indoor lighting. Can't say I care for tags inside of clothing either.

Last edited:
I don't have severe sensory issues (meaning, ones that stop me functioning on a daily basis), but do have some.

I like plenty of light - in fact I need it and don't like sitting in a dark room, except at night to sleep, then I don't want any light in the room whatsoever, so I have the window blacked out. I like natural light as opposed to artificial light - I don't like bright points of light in my eyes, so always have artificial lighting behind me when I'm working, and have my screen light turned right down, too. I dislike intensely blue LED lights - they just seem intolerably bright to me, but don't seem to affect other people as much.

Unless I give permission, I hate to be touched. I hate people tapping my shoulder to catch my attention, or this social touching which is very common here, even among strangers - touching my arm. I don't need it and don't see the necessity for it, and never, ever touch other people. For other people, this social touching seems necessary and instinctive, but not for me!

Also sound - I hate always hated high pitched sounds and found them painful and unbearably loud, always had difficulty following a conversation in a noisy environment, or when there are more than one person speaking at once. Always prefered quiet environments. Now I have hyperacusis and things are even worse.

New Threads

Top Bottom