• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird Blood Types?

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
I am wondering if anyone else has rare or slightly rare blood types? A- here.

how do you guys get to know your blood type?
ive never been told mine.

My dr did it but I also did 23 and Me back when they had health reports and to make sure I also bought a kit online and it actually was accurate and easy. The only hard part was I had to stick my finger. I get vaso vagal with blood and even have gone into vaso vagal seizures on blood draw. So that was a bit hard but not too hard. I had no seizure :)

I don't know, mine's O+ and so is my spouses.

map_of_O_blood_in_the_world.gif

Modern Human Variation: Distribution of Blood Types Distribution of blood types worldwide

I donated blood in high school. I'm O-. My blood has no antigens. I'm the universal donor but I can only have another O- donate to me.

how do you guys get to know your blood type?
ive never been told mine.

I found out when I became a blood donor, but don't volunteer to donate just to find that out as it costs money to enrol you and process your details, blood etc. If, however, you're interested in becoming a donor anyway, then do so as soon as possible.

For the record, I'm B-, the same as my mother.

A quick Google Search found more information about blood types and related information than can easily be related.

About a third of Humans are O+ and another third are A+. The rarest blood types are AB- (1%); B- (2%). The rest are mostly single digit between 4% and 10%. Look it up?

The US military puts the blood type of the soldier on (his) dog tags. Every Blood Donor is told (his) blood type. There are many other reasons and ways to find or be given (your) blood type.

I am A-.

I am wondering if anyone else has rare or slightly rare blood types? A- here.

It's not that rare. The 2 common ones are O-pos and A-pos. The rest are all less common but not 'rare'. Also varies according to part of the world. US is as follows:

• O-positive: 38 percent.
  • A-positive: 34 percent.
  • B-positive: 9 percent.
  • O-negative: 7 percent.
  • A-negative: 6 percent.
  • B-negative: 2 percent.
  • AB-positive: 3 percent.
  • AB-negative: 1 percent.

It's not that rare. The 2 common ones are O-pos and A-pos. The rest are all less common but not 'rare'. Also varies according to part of the world. US is as follows:

ACtually A- is 8%. A+ is 30%, but A- is 8%. I tried to give blood but they said I was too skinny. They gave me a pamphlet about A- and said it's needed but still would not let me give.

A- donor but A+ recipient. Don't ask me how that works ;)

Your blood group conists if two things, the blood type (the letter) and the Rhesus factor, + or - (ie present or absent).

The letter means the antigen on the red blood cell, which can be A or B (or both - AB).
We need to give people the same letter blood as their blood type to stop the antibodies of different types attacking their antigen - so A can receive only A, B can receive only B, but AB can receive either A, or B, or AB (as they have both).
For example, if you gave an A person a B blood donation the antibodies in B would attack the antigens in A.

Blood type O does not have antigens so we can *give* it to anybody (A, B, AB or O), but a person with blood type O can ONLY *receive* O blood as any other blood would attack. This is why O is the most needed blood type for donations, as we can give it to anyone.

The + or - is the Rhesus factor, a third antigen. + means the antigen is present, - means it is absent. So people WITH Rhesus factor (Rh+) can receive both + or - blood, as neither will attack. But people *without* the rhesus factor can only received Rh-, otherwise they would be attacked.

So the universal donor is O negative, as it can be given to any blood type - it has no antigens and no rhesus factor so will not attack. (From the recipient's perspective, the best type to be would be AB+, as you could receive any type of blood).

It gets a bit more confusing when you separate cells and plasma, but there is a handy little diagram here:

Blood Types Chart | Blood Group Information | American Red Cross

ACtually A- is 8%. A+ is 30%, but A- is 8%. I tried to give blood but they said I was too skinny. They gave me a pamphlet about A- and said it's needed but still would not let me give.

As I said in my original post, "Also varies according to part of the world". Those are the figures for the US at the time of publishing. It's not an exact set value as populations change and migrate and specific data will also vary depending on sample size etc.

There are many reasons people are not allowed to give blood, including weight/health/age, medication, recent tattoos, recent travel, pregnancy, unprotected sex (especially if at risk of HIV), recent viruses (even the common cold). It also varies according to part of the world. Personally, I am not allowed to give blood as I am in the UK and have received transfusions myself meaning there is a risk of me transmitting CJD.

AB positive. I found out when we did a unit on punnet square blood types in eighth grade and they had someone come in and did blood tests on everyone for an experiment. I and one of my friends were the only ones in the grade with an AB blood type.

The dashes after the letters threw me fir a minute. I read, "A negative positive." Haha.

New Threads

Top Bottom