• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weighted blankets

I think the benefits are roughly the equivalent of swaddling to a baby. I imagine the feeling of being tightly wrapped is a psychological throwback to being in the womb, and thus comforting. Just a hypothesis. We just bought a weighted vest for our son, which has similar properties.

i have an extremely heavyweight weighted blanket and a weighted lap blanket and they make me calmer,they give me sensory input but they also make me feel safe.
it helps for my anxiety when its at a low level but i cant lift it often because of my sciatica i have to ask support staff and they usually get rude-like ive disturbed them from sleep, if i ask for it.

My weight blanket I ordered from Amazon came today and all I have to say is "OHH MY GOODNESSSS Where have you been all my life??!?!" :) I'm sitting here all cuddled up in it and it just feels so good! I'm usually pretty overloaded and anxious at this time of day (4 pm), but this just does a good job calming down my nervous system.

I have had my weighted blanket since right after my diagnosis and learning why I didnt sleep worth a crap in the summer time when only light sheets are on the bed. I can't sleep without it. Much like LittleLemon found out, its like "where have you been all my life!" I got mine thru Mosaic Weight Blanket's website. They have a nice tutorial on the hows and whys of weight blankets and someone with ASD or similar disorders. The blanket calms my senses, giving them the input they need so that I can sleep thru the night and feel rested the next day. Mike

I don't care much for weighted blankets. I have always preferred the lightest banket I could get, ideally down or a synthetic equivalent. I don't like most clothing either, probably the same reason. I feel restricted. Even when I'm camping I lay the open bag over me rather than crawling into it.

But, to each their own!

One thing I did notice is that a weighted blanket doesn't leave a lot of empty space around you. Since your body doesn't need to heat up that space, it is warmer than a regular blanket.

Lately I've been feeling a bit stressed and feeling like I need something to hold me down. So I buried myself under a bunch of my pillows, which is something I do from time to time. I never really thought anything of it before, but the weight feels good. So I decided to get myself a weighted blanket. It won't get here until Saturday, though. I'm really looking forward to it.

I have a 15-pound (not price for the British people wondering) one that I often have on me. I game with it on my lap, I wrap it around myself, and I sleep with it on top of my comforter. It's amazing, too. It's great for anxiety and I sleep better. Not great if the weather is really hot, though. After all, those things are thick.

I have a 15-pound (not price for the British people wondering) one that I often have on me. I game with it on my lap, I wrap it around myself, and I sleep with it on top of my comforter. It's amazing, too. It's great for anxiety and I sleep better. Not great if the weather is really hot, though. After all, those things are thick.

Do you recall if it smelled when you first bought it? That's my concern.

Because I've found that new things often can have offensive odors to me and certain kinds of products that are not washable or have components that are not washable can have a horrible vinyl chemical smell that I react to.

I've had my blanket for a little over a month now. I kind of wish it were heavier, but I do like it and I find myself fidgeting and squirming a lot less. It is a bit too much in warm weather, but now that the weather is cooling, it's getting better.

I have two - a 20 lb one on my bed, and a 10 lb one on my chair in the living room. I've had them for a couple years. I LOVE them!

I've always preferred heavier blankets, and I have a cotton chamois blanket that my mom made me as a child (looking really threadbare at this point!) that I used well into my 20s - I only stopped using it when I got my weighted blanket. I can't sleep well if the blankets aren't heavy enough.

Because I've found that new things often can have offensive odors to me and certain kinds of products that are not washable or have components that are not washable can have a horrible vinyl chemical smell that I react to.
God save me from that nauseous "new car smell" that other people seem to like. Who wants to smell outgassing plastic?

i really need one of them at the moment am using 3 quilts and three pillows on top of me when am feeling unwell or upset ...but i end up sweating like anything , i really do need one as i am having a lot of issues at the moment and getting really upset at things

New Threads

Top Bottom