• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weighted blanket

Bellacat

I've been using a heavy pile of blankets over winter but now it's getting too warm for that and I realize what a significant difference the weight makes. I'm ready to buy one for summer but I can't decide on which size to get.

I have two questions:

1. What exactly happens if the blanket is a little bit too heavy? I definitely want one that is heavier than what is recommended for my body weight, but I'm not sure how far up I should go or what would happen if I went too far.

2. The blankets I've been using add up to about 8.4 kg so I'm debating between 9 or 11 kg. How significant is the difference between those two when in use? I don't know how to decide between them without being able to test them first.

Any other advice would be appreciated!

This is just strictly my personal opinion, but I would go for the 11kg one. Back when I was getting mine. I had my doubts about it at first, So I decided to go for the heaviest one I could get and I've not been disappointed with it. In fact, I wish it was even heavier.

This is a matter of personal preference. I tried one at 25 lbs., the weight recommended for someone my size, and I could not handle it. I returned the blanket and now use one that is 12 pounds. The one I got has a soft, plush fabric, and is a cooling blanket. For me, this works well.

2. The blankets I've been using add up to about 8.4 kg so I'm debating between 9 or 11 kg. How significant is the difference between those two when in use? I don't know how to decide between them without being able to test them first.

Can you test it out first? That is pile all the blankets you have plus some extra weight to see which is the most comfortable for you?

I have a 20 lb one on my bed and a 10 lb one in the living room.

Remember the heavier it is, the more difficult laundering it is going to be. And making the bed. And...a duvet cover is probably a great idea (I have yet to purchase one for mine, but I really should.)

I don't think too heavy does any harm (unless it's REALLY too heavy and you suffocate, but I don't see that being an issue for an adult. I wouldn't put a child under a giant 20 lb blanket.) but it may not be comfortable. I love my 20 lb blanket. Best purchase I've made in years.

I think the recommendation of the blanket being around 10% of one's body weight is to ensure proper breathing. An adult is truly not going to suffocate, but when sleeping the weight of the blanket might cause a person to breathe very flat and that's not ideal either. So I would not go far above that mark, personally.

I decided to go with 9 kg since it's close to what I've been using and I know for sure that works. I think I could use more weight, but I can fold the blanket up to concentrate the weight for times when I crave a little more pressure. The normal blankets add a little too, especially the heavy wool blanket I use for winter.

Thanks for all the input! :)

I know a weighted blanket sounds nice, but it's the wrong time of year to be thinking about buying blankets. Come summer, you're going to exasperatedly throw that thing off at about 2 am and stick your head in a cold shower to stop sweating!

I know a weighted blanket sounds nice, but it's the wrong time of year to be thinking about buying blankets. Come summer, you're going to exasperatedly throw that thing off at about 2 am and stick your head in a cold shower to stop sweating!

Hah, true, but I got the kind that is meant for summer so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I got one for christmas and even though I was shooting for an Oculus Quest and missed by a hair, I found this to be just as awesome!

I have no idea what exactly mine is made out of, its like a mauve/gray/rain colored....fleece, maybe? I dont know, but its REALLY soft and fluffy and if I pull it over myself slowly it tickles a lot and makes me feel cool and I start giggling a lot :p

First night i slept underneath it, I was sooooo relaxed I didn't even know I had fallen asleep. But I do remember having a couple awesome lucid dreams that I can still remember.

I don't know who invented these things but i need to shake their hand.

New Threads

Top Bottom