• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weighted Blanket

I've been wanting one for ages, but I want to make it myself. The only ones I found online are all so damn expensive, and I need to make sure the fabric's really nice (something either fluffy or satiny, or Egyptian cotton) cause I'm quite sensitive to that.

Here's pretty straightforward YT tutorial on making one.

And a more step by step non-video one.
Sewing Tutorial: How to Make a Weighted Blanket (Sensory Friendly) - Mama Smiles

Dammit. I really want one now. As a kid I used to tuck in my sheets real tight and then fill the bed with all the stuffed animals and blankets I could find and then crawl underneath. The weight would be so relaxing. Nowadays I just ask my GF to lay on top of me for 10 minutes or so, which is equally soothing.

I've been researching where to get a good one of these too. I need a good, soft fabric and a decent weight, as I just can't seem to sleep without a heavy blanket(s) over me, even when it's hot. Plus it has to look good, or I'll hate it! o_O

I've been researching where to get a good one of these too. I need a good, soft fabric and a decent weight, as I just can't seem to sleep without a heavy blanket(s) over me, even when it's hot. Plus it has to look good, or I'll hate it! o_O

Exactly! I know I should probably be grateful people are making specialty items like weighted blankets and such, but it all looks so damn dreary. Almost like it's made to be used in a hospital or so. Aren't we known for growing emotionally attached to objects? People are using these every single day, in their homes, it's on the bed, it's on the sofa... it deserves to have some esthetic thought be put into it. I had a look at autism apps earlier, and they too look awful. I'm sure they are functional and the people who use or need those get a lot out of it, but it's al so utilitarian. Brrr. I'll shut up before it turns into a rant.

I made my own. I'ts good when I can't sleep, but it does get hot in summer. I made it out of calico and poly beads, and just have a cottoncover on it. Not beautiful, but it works.

I made my own. I'ts good when I can't sleep, but it does get hot in summer. I made it out of calico and poly beads, and just have a cottoncover on it. Not beautiful, but it works.
Of course, a nice cover could do the trick. :)

I did a quick search for filling material that might be good in terms of heat distribution and buckwheat hulls seem interesting. They are used in 'stay cool' pillows for example, and should have enough weight. It might rustle a bit though, and maybe there'd be issues in the long run (laundry?).

Maybe not quite as effective as a weighted blanket, but I've had one of these for a few years (it's actually made of synthetic material despite the name) and I've found it to be a pretty good lower cost substitute (recommended to me by a former member of this forum I miss :( ):

Amazon.com - Solaron Queen Solid Navy Korean Mink Blanket - Bed Blankets

The one I have is solid navy blue, I slightly regret not getting one with a tiger on it. :p

Amazon.com - King Korean Solaron Tiger Mink Blanket, Navy - Bed Blankets

Some of them are from China, but apparently the ones actually made in South Korea are higher quality (Solaron is a Korean manufacturer).

If yarn isn't terribly scratchy and you have some patience, how about crocheting one or two? (Or buying one.) My mother and grandmother crocheted a blanket each for me when I was younger and they're naturally heavy just from the material. I fold them both in half so it's like having four, and it does great! Does great for my temperature regulation too. For some reason it's a "slow" heat, unlike when I tried just a sheet and comforter and it was a "fast" heat that only seemed to burn my skin but not keep me warm.

Some people make a sort of crocheted top and then hem something of a quilt bottom underneath to have a smoother part touching them. That could always be an option. Sew a yarn blanket to a cloth bottom.

Hmm, I wonder if I could get one then make a cover for it, silk on one side and kimono fabric on the other... My brain is ticking...

There are quite a few to be found on Etsy. Sellers there are usually open to custom orders, so you should be able to get them in any fabric, size and weight you want. And they do seem to be a bit cheaper than the ones I've seen at specialized stores.

weighted blanket op Etsy, een wereldwijd platform voor handgemaakte en vintage items.

As of weight, I'm coming across the following formula: 10% of body weight + 1 or 2 pounds. (Although that probably depends on how big the blanket is too.)

There are quite a few to be found on Etsy. Sellers there are usually open to custom orders, so you should be able to get them in any fabric, size and weight you want. And they do seem to be a bit cheaper than the ones I've seen at specialized stores.

weighted blanket op Etsy, een wereldwijd platform voor handgemaakte en vintage items.

As of weight, I'm coming across the following formula: 10% of body weight + 1 or 2 pounds. (Although that probably depends on how big the blanket is too.)
Thanks for the link doll :)

I'd love to have one of those. I cannot stand trying to go to sleep without some kind of weight on me. I have a very heavy dark gold embroidered comforter that I like to use in the summer, and in the winter I have a dark red velvet one on my bed. I like them because they are heavy but not too hot. I've needed weight to sleep so much that I've been known to pile blankets on the bed in the summer and turn the AC down really low so it's cold enough inside to sleep that way.

I got mine from sensory direct. Am UK based. They offered a 60day no obligation trial. It would just cost you the postage if you didn't get on with it. Was expensive but so worth it. Is very well made and can go in the washing machine! I made a cover for mine by sewing a cheap quilted mattress topper into the inside of a cotton duvet cover to give more padding. Have slept better ever since! Hope that helps! LJ

I have always loved the lead blankets dentists use during x-rays. I love that feeling of weight and I too have wanted a weighted blanket at home but they are very expensive. I used to fantasize about having a lead blanket like the doctor's but big enough for a bed. I hope the next generation of aspie kids has it easier, it's been pretty tough.

I have always loved the lead blankets dentists use during x-rays. I love that feeling of weight and I too have wanted a weighted blanket at home but they are very expensive. I used to fantasize about having a lead blanket like the doctor's but big enough for a bed. I hope the next generation of aspie kids has it easier, it's been pretty tough.

You could probably get some sheets of lead roll at the hardware store and sew it into the middle of two blankets.

Here is an example of the lead. It's expensive though. It would be easy to make a heavy blanket with this, two regular blankets and a couple of flat sheets.

1 ft. X 25 ft. 2-1/2 Lb Lead Sheet (62.5 Lb. roll)

ETA; Depending on whether or not someone would want to drop several hundred on a lead blanket, I could actually make these and sell them on that one site that someone is thinking of starting on another thread. I do lots of decorative needlework and could easily embroider the top side of it or even cover the top side with one of those intricate crocheted bedspreads. I could sew a coordinating colored sheet or other fabric to the back of the crocheted bedspread, put the fabric with the pockets filled with lead sheets inside, and put a back on it in whatever texture of fabric that the buyer wanted. However with all that work, it would take time for the decorative touches and it would be even more expensive after charging for all that. It's an idea though. That way someone could have a weighted blanket on their bed that looks like a very nice bedspread. It wouldn't look utilitarian. I could also make smaller afghan or throw size ones that could be folded and stored on the back of a couch or chair when not in use. Hmmmmmm...... the idea bulb is flickering ;-)

Last edited:
Thank you for the link and the advice. I do not think I could sew a blanket, not practical for me. I looked at the price for the lead you linked to, it is very expensive. I think the weighted blankets on eBay are less costly but I cannot invest in one now anyway. Maybe some day. Thank you for sharing such an interesting idea on how to make my own lead blanket, I never thought it could be possible but you figured it out quickly :)

Here is an example of the lead. It's expensive though. It would be easy to make a heavy blanket with this, two regular blankets and a couple of flat sheets.

1 ft. X 25 ft. 2-1/2 Lb Lead Sheet (62.5 Lb. roll)

New Threads

Top Bottom