• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weight loss support thread.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I decided to start this thread because sometimes I could use a kick in the butt to keep going to the gym, or to not pick up Fred Meyer fried chicken for lunch, or to drink tap water instead of Dr. Pepper.

I also am looking for peer support when it comes to weight loss. I could stand to lose about 50lbs, and all of my fat is in the worst possible place - right in the belly, around my organs.

Anybody here want to lose some lbs with me?

Written accountability and a tangible format (e.g. a journal thread) is a great place to start. You have a reasonable goal, you have a why it needs to be done, and you have temptations listed. Tools are there to be used and you are doing that. Kudos.

Do you have any gyms or spas with a sauna in your area? The heat in a sauna makes your body raise its metabolic rate. That burns calories. It also increases the level of growth hormones, that burns fat, repairs muscle and helps keep lean muscle. And it decreases insulin levels and glucose levels in the blood, that also helps to burn fat.

And you get skin detoxification through sweating, your metabolism is stunted when you accumulate toxins and we all accumulate toxins all the time. So that also helps. And the best thing about it; you do it all sitting completely still doing absolutely nothing. :) How's that for convenient.

It's not a magical cure, but every little thing helps. So 20-30 minutes in 150-190 degrees °F now and then is good for the body. :cool: And the mind.

Last edited:
I am on the gaining health mindset, how may I help you?

Well, I am looking for some degree of accountability on my part.

Written accountability and a tangible format (e.g. a journal thread) is a great place to start. You have a reasonable goal, you have a why it needs to be done, and you have temptations listed. Tools are there to be used and you are doing that. Kudos.

Yeah, I do love junk food too much. Time for me to curb that habit.

Do you have any gyms or spas with a sauna in your area? The heat in a sauna makes your body raise its metabolic rate. That burns calories. It also increases the level of growth hormones, that burns fat, repairs muscle and helps keep lean muscle. And it decreases insulin levels and glucose levels in the blood, that also helps to burn fat.

And you get skin detoxification through sweating, your metabolism is stunted when you accumulate toxins and we all accumulate toxins all the time. So that also helps. And the best thing about it; you do it all sitting completely still doing absolutely nothing. :) How's that for convenient.

It's not a magical cure, but every little thing helps. So 20-30 minutes in 150-190 degrees °F now and then is good for the body. :cool: And the mind.

My gym has a sauna. Time for me to put both my gym membership and its sauna to use. My belly is not going to go away by itself.

The belly does take time. So patience is needed. Accountability could start with how many times you go to gym a week and for how long. So l will hit the gym 3 times and l will workout at least 40 mins. I will walk on the treadmill at least 15 mins for 2 months. After 2 months l will change it to 20 mins, etc.

I started jogging to lose weight in 2001 and started with 20 mins. I now can run for about 40 mins. Biking is excellent for people because it's easier on your joints and it does help tone.

The other accountability is eating low calorie food with a cheat day once a week so that you don't feel deprived. And yes, have low calorie popcorn or pretzel sticks when your belly complains. Because the first or second month is hard. Take out a tight part of shorts or pants and watch movies in them. The tightness reminds you not to eat, especially if you use to fit them. This should be called the girdle diet. Lol

Last edited:
I lost weight from my operation in January and subsequent treatments, but I don't recommend that method! Now I'm doing my best to retain the fitness I have and when I finish having treatment I'll build up my exercise again. On days when I am less tired at present, I walk to and from our allotment, so about 5500 to 7000 steps, which I count via an ap I downloaded. I love to walk in nice scenery, it's my main form of exercise, gives me time to think and plan writing, too.

I am also trying to lose weight, starting tomorrow i will cut down desserts and carbs in general. Apparently green tea helps with burning fat too, so i will try that also.

I happen to know of a very good full body excercise that is great for stomachs, so I'll just share that. It's simple, straight forward and no equipment is needed. The burpee. It's a winner. Just remember to keep your back straight, no hunching. 20-50 burpees a day for a month and you will notice a difference somewhere. Compound exercises like this are great.

Burpee (exercise) - Wikipedia
gif.gif

Last edited:
In my experience exercice is mostly for being fit (being able to run, move freely, feel good, lift weigth, go up stairs, etc).

A good nutrition is mostly for losing fat and becoming healthy (organs working fine, better mental health, etc.)

Good speep/rest is when the body do this improvement, when the magic happens. So even if we do exercice and eat nutritive we may see poor results if we dont rest properly.

Exercice + Good nutrition + Good Sleep/rest is the premium way to go.

Be aware that eating less is not eating nutritive, you migth get damage in your organs. This is simmilar to what @Thinx said. So losing fat its not always equal to feel better or be healthier.

Eating nutritive is not about eating less of what you currently eats, but eating more of what your body need. So more veggies, more fruit, more fish, more of those healthy things. Eat plenty of healthy things. Untill you feel no hunger. Eating nutritive is not about feeling hungry. If after that you eat a burger from time to time, your body will already have the good nutrients it need.

Also be patient, starting too strong with exercice usually leads to lessions.

Best of luck.

I decided to start this thread because sometimes I could use a kick in the butt to keep going to the gym, or to not pick up Fred Meyer fried chicken for lunch, or to drink tap water instead of Dr. Pepper.

I also am looking for peer support when it comes to weight loss. I could stand to lose about 50lbs, and all of my fat is in the worst possible place - right in the belly, around my organs.

im on my way. Sometimes I would lose motivation but recognizing my triggers has helped me

Yes agree with @Atrapa Almas , I lost weight both through having lots of stuff removed including unviable organs and 5 litres of built up fluids, then also it was stressfull in hospital plus I went off food, so had to build up eating slowly over weeks. Heinz tomato soup was my saviour!

But eating well and exercise is the best option. I must admit I don't sleep long, and often take breaks from sleep when I wake and read or look here at the forums. I have always been that kind of sleeper, except in my late teens maybe.

for me it helped to have a regular work, because so I´m distracted, because I often ate something because I was bored and had nothing to do in the past. also I recommend (if possible) to eat in a cantina. here I can eat salad, fruits (like e.g. an apple), because I´m too lazy and not interested in cooking at home. also it costs less money and time. and I have to go the supermarket less.

I do no sport and I think it´s possible to be healthy without it and to be slim without it, but I recommend to go outside once a day, e.g. for a walk 30-45 minutes. sometimes more. but I have to say that I walk faster than other people. for me it is comfortable when I walk as fast as possible, but no running.

I think it also depends on the genes and I think my genes are relatively good, because even with years of unhealthy food and less and sometimes nearly no movement, I "only" had 10 kilos too much and not more. and I loose weight very fast, but I recognized that food is not enough, a little movement, like daily walk is also very important.

I would recommend to not do too much, but do it daily or regularly whatever you do. and no unhealthy diets.

I had for 6 years too much weight, but now I nearly have my weight from the time I was 18 and younger. I have no scale, but I weight 75 kilos, which is 165.35 lbs in american size I think. (crazy americans always have other units lol). and which is good for my size.

but I think when you build up muscles, it is normal to have more weight, because muscles weight more than fat.

my thinking is like that: "I don´t want to have beer gut, I want it to be 90 degrees to my chest (flat)." I always just had fat on my gut and not on other body parts.

I always wonder why american sad rappers are often very slim, more often skinny. I think it´s because some of them take drugs and have depression.

in my deception when you can see bones or rips, it is too skinny and not pretty anymore (just my subjective taste).

women can be slim and small, slim and tall or some are not thick, they maybe have muscles or big breasts and roundness, so it´s normal that they have another physique than others, but they are not thick. in my opinion every 3 physiques are equal pretty.

and I also try to do stretch exercises daily, because I heard this would be important (but not to loose weight).

Last edited:

Good for you!! I started walking more. Then I invested in an air fryer, cut out soda, eat nuts, fruit, poultry, beef jerky etc... I'm down about 30 lbs in about 2 months. I hardly feel the cravings for junk but don't deprive myself a treat. I need a gym membership! Praying all goes well. Bravi

I’ve been on a weight loss journey for a little over a year now. I’ve lost 15 kg in 13 months. At first I was mostly focusing on the scale, now I’m focused more on toning and improving strength, endurance and flexibility.

I’ve lost weight through a mild calorie deficit and paying attention to my macronutrients. I tried fad diets and crash diets before, but I just gained the weight back quickly. Counting calories works best for me, and I don’t have to exclude any type of food, so long as I keep everything balanced out.

It doesn’t hurt that I’ve been working out a lot more these last six months. My weight loss has slowed down, but my body composition and measurements have definitely changed for the better. I’m still somewhat overweight, but I am headed in the right direction.

I’m in a few accountability groups already, but I will try to check in here from time to time too :)

Well, according to the treadmill I was just on at the gym, I burned 1000 calories in one hour. Not sure how accurate something like that is, though.

Now it is time for a piping hot shower and an ice cold glass of water.

I signed up for a personal training session at the gym which will take place later this week. I am going to learn some weight training techniques to help burn all this fat away.

I went grocery shopping yesterday, and I avoided all of my danger isles. No chips, no soda, no deli fried chicken, no frozen pizza, no fancy gourmet burgers.

For me, it was was finding an exercise that i actually enjoyed doing. I've always been interested in combat sports so decided to buy a punch bag so I could exercise in the comfort of my own home.

You can get really intense workouts on a bag and found I'd sweat more in 10-15 mins then I ever did doing something else. Initially I was overweight and unfit and 10-15 mins was all I could manage, but I'd be dripping with sweat and felt fulfilled that I'd put everything into that workout.

I didn't change my diet at first and still ate junk but I did lose some weight after 2-3 weeks of doing this 4 times a week. Mentally I started to feel alot better, and then started to think to myself 'if I've lost weight still eating junk, imagine how much I could lose if I took this seriously'. So that's what happened, I cut out the carbs and soft drinks and replaced them with extra meat and flavoured water/ monster ultra.

As I kept consistent with the workouts my cardio increased gradually, from being able to do a 15 minute intense workout to then 20, to half an hour, then 45mins and finally an hour, now I'm about 65 pounds down so far.

Good luck on your journey, consistency is key.

Yeah, I realized one of my biggest danger zones is the mini mart next to my office and their cheap soda fountain drinks which are far larger than what any human should be drinking.

So, no more mini mart for me.

I miss having a real grocery store across the street from the office, though. When there was one there, I often picked up bowls of strawberries or pineapple chunks to snack on. The mini mart has none of that good stuff.

You can do this! I decided today to give up sugar/junk and try to lose some weight. It's funny how i feel so addicted to that food but then when i get off of it after a week, i wonder how i ever wanted it. But then something too overwhelming for me, my emotions and i eat just one sugary/junk food thing and i find myself months later realizing i'm eating this every day.
In a way, i feel like it's 'the man' haha, this food is made by corporations that want us to be addicted to the fat, salt, sugar and that alone gives me motivation not to buy or indulge in it. I watch a lot of nature docuseries and see how the apes eat (which we are about 99% shared dna) and i think this sugar/junkfood is NOT natural! And when eating natural food, they begin to taste so good to me and i feel a level of happiness because i'm doing what my intuition wants, some inner compass feels lined up and i just don't feel so sad anymore. Also walking in nature. I'd like to walk for hours! Thanks for this post and motivation, it's helpful to know others are sharing the journey. Good Luck to you. There's a point when it just flows and is easy, i think.. and it's all in our mind to make that happen. Sorry to blab on so much.

New Threads

Top Bottom