• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Was told I'll need to improve my "communication skills" if I want to be hired directly :/

nope

Right now I'm a contractor. In general people like my work, but I was recently told if I want to be hired directly I'll have to improve my "communication skills," which really means my speaking ability.

I've had issues with speaking my whole life. I've made significant progress in the past three years but I doubt I'll ever improve to the point I could come across as "articulate" or "professional."

Here's the thing: I'm not currently diagnosed with anything. If my speaking ability is the only thing that's stopping me from getting hired directly, should I get an official diagnosis and request a reasonable accommodation?

Right now I'm a contractor. In general people like my work, but I was recently told if I want to be hired directly I'll have to improve my "communication skills," which really means my speaking ability.

I've had issues with speaking my whole life. I've made significant progress in the past three years but I doubt I'll ever improve to the point I could come across as "articulate" or "professional."

Here's the thing: I'm not currently diagnosed with anything. If my speaking ability is the only thing that's stopping me from getting hired directly, should I get an official diagnosis and request a reasonable accommodation?
yep.but be aware employers are sly! they won't admit if you felt descriminated against that your disability is the problem! they'd say you were lazy or another lie :) so be alert

What Streetwise said is true, employers will discriminate against people who are disabled or that they think are awkward or unfit, even if it is "illegal" in some places.

I agree with the other posts, unfortunately. Discrimination laws are difficult to enforce. What type of work are you into? I'm able to use email quite a lot at my job which makes things a little easier. Verbal communication is still required at times, but if it the talk stays on the job at hand I can make it through. Is it mainly the verbal communication that you struggle with? If you are a good writer that can help you, although that is difficult to prove in an interview.

I agree with the other posts, unfortunately. Discrimination laws are difficult to enforce. What type of work are you into? I'm able to use email quite a lot at my job which makes things a little easier. Verbal communication is still required at times, but if it the talk stays on the job at hand I can make it through. Is it mainly the verbal communication that you struggle with? If you are a good writer that can help you, although that is difficult to prove in an interview.

Yeah. I'm pretty good at writing and email has been my main method of communication as a contractor. I'm still hoping there's still some way for me to work for the company directly so I won't have to go through more interviews (and everyone here already knows me anyway), which is why I wondered if getting an official diagnosis might help.

Yeah. I'm pretty good at writing and email has been my main method of communication as a contractor. I'm still hoping there's still some way for me to work for the company directly so I won't have to go through more interviews (and everyone here already knows me anyway), which is why I wondered if getting an official diagnosis might help.

I think an official diagnosis has both good and bad points and which it turns out to be in your situation, probably depends entirely on whether the company wants to comply with reasonable accommodation or not. If you have a very good relationship with somebody who is in that company or knows the people there well, perhaps you can ask.

I do not know if this will work for you, but I have been going to Toastmasters for a couple of years. I have not become a great public speaker from it, but I have improved enormously from it. It might be worth a try for you also.

What Streetwise said is true, employers will discriminate against people who are disabled or that they think are awkward or unfit, even if it is "illegal" in some places.

It's illegal everywhere, certainly in the UK.

I just had an email from Argos, based on my answers to the questions I have not been successful and can't apply again for 3 months, I'm very sorry but WTH?!

I just had an email from Argos, based on my answers to the questions I have not been successful and can't apply again for 3 months, I'm very sorry but WTH?!

The supermarket Asda also have that policy (or did ) theirs is (or was) six months. Couldn't reapply for six months if unsuccessful. I didn't reapply so don't know if it's still the same Rich ?

The supermarket Asda also have that policy (or did ) theirs is (or was) six months. Couldn't reapply for six months if unsuccessful. I didn't reapply so don't know if it's still the same Rich ?

Read the post, I said Argos, not ASDA.

Different companies.

The first protocal of all small businesses is to make money and so, if there is a hint of disability, they are less likely to want to hire you and I am talking about SMALL businesses, since their outgoings and incomings are greatly reduced, compared to a coporate business and thus, what you could try doing is asking them to be more clear on what you need to improve on, especially if you do get clients, which proves your worth and you need to point this out, if they are sceptical.

I mean to say you need to improve your communication skills; what exactly do you need to improve?

I am sure that there are speech improvement centres you could join?

Or, go to one of the bigger firms, where a disabiliy will be rather lost and thus, more accomodating goes on.

The first protocal of all small businesses is to make money and so, if there is a hint of disability, they are less likely to want to hire you and I am talking about SMALL businesses, since their outgoings and incomings are greatly reduced, compared to a coporate business and thus, what you could try doing is asking them to be more clear on what you need to improve on, especially if you do get clients, which proves your worth and you need to point this out, if they are sceptical.

I mean to say you need to improve your communication skills; what exactly do you need to improve?

I am sure that there are speech improvement centres you could join?

Or, go to one of the bigger firms, where a disabiliy will be rather lost and thus, more accomodating goes on.

Meh, Argos are one of the biggest Businesses in the UK, they're no small company.

perhaps while in process of getting a diagnosis you can get some speech therapy. its really up to you if you want a ASD diagnosis or not. if ts just your speech ppl have problems with, perhaps you only need that

re: "go to speech therapist"

I considered this a few years ago and even did a research on speech disorder, although I no longer remember every detail. I do remember that what I have would be called "cluttering," and apparently it's not something a speech therapist would be able to help with unless it's a symptom of (or accompanied by) a more "legitimate" disorder like aphasia or dysarthria. Also, I've never been to a therapist of any kind before but I imagine a long-term regular trip isn't something I'd be able to afford.

I also had a similar problem. When my mentor told me to turn in the rough draft of my research report, I attached the electronic report onto the "replied" section in the email without any headings or message. He criticized me that I need to have a better communication skill, if I wanted to pursue my dream in the future. He said that I had to send a separate email noting the reason for the email, or else that he would never know that I sent it or the reason for my email. I didn't write those because I thought they weren't necessary, since we just had the conversation 5 minutes prior to the email. Then he kind of laughed at me.

Meh, Argos are one of the biggest Businesses in the UK, they're no small company.

In which case, discrimination is going on there, for if they are a big company, it shows them to be a greedy company if they refuse to hire those who are not the "norm".

What specific problems with speaking do you have?

I know a lot of local contractors who have problems with education and intellectual ability - unlikely to change.

Break it down into small bits. When do your problems arise?

Is it you cant think of anything to say or is it a deeper problem?

What do you feel is lacking?

Give an example,to clarify.

The key is not to be afraid of offending people when you speak, and leave your diagnosis in the past.I've learned this very recently (I'm 30) and my confidence has rocketed since. Also, as someone who has experience, you don't want to be hired directly - all that micromanaging, all that corporate politics and BS; if I were you, keep your autonomy in your job and stay a contractor. Good luck.

Argos, you don't want to be working for a retailer anyway. You're paid tuppece to follow illogical orders and policies & when you question anything, your so-called "manager" calls you in for a chat because "they have concerns". Is that really what you want to do with your life? Start on your own, cause offence, create disturbances, change the status quo and too bad for anyone who doubts you. Just saying :)

New Threads

Top Bottom