• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Was I out of line?

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
Well, a question for the women on the site. I know that many dislike unwanted attention. I was on my last flight leg of my trip, from Narita to Bangkok and a little punchy after a trip from start to finish of about 30 hours with 20 of those in the air. There was a young woman seated ahead of me who was up and around a few times. I noticed she was wearing a nice embroidered dress below the knees with a denim jacket. Add a squash blossom necklace and she would not have been out of place on the Big Rez. Y'know how people flying nowadays dress haphazardly, and I was wearing my ranchwear, nothing fancy (like my embroidered skulls and roses black shirt).

So, you know I am hesitant about approaching people, especially women, and I think I am rarely noticed myself, but I thought her quite handsome in that outfit, so I got up and said "Excuse me, miss." And I got her attention. "I think your outfit is nice, especially with the denim jacket." She pulled down her mask and gave me a smile and was about to say something, but I just held up my hand to indicate I was not expecting a reply and went back to my seat.

Was I out of line with this interaction? I know that people frequently travel in their own bubble and I surprised myself as I rarely do such things.

I don’t know about out of line, but I certainly would have thought you were either drunk or making fun of me. Or maybe that you were just a very strange person (not a bad thing). It’s not the compliment that would have confused me - rather, the fact that you got out of your seat and went out of your way to pay it but then held up your hand and walked away without letting me reply.

I actually do weird stuff like this all the time, though, and I think it’s all hilarious. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Don't know. You weren't rude and only she could have said. But you stopped her from talking. Now why in the world did you do that?

;)

I don’t know about out of line, but I certainly would have thought you were either drunk or making fun of me. Or maybe that you were just a very strange person (not a bad thing). It’s not the compliment that would have confused me - rather, the fact that you got out of your seat and went out of your way to pay it but then held up your hand and walked away without letting me reply.

I actually do weird stuff like this all the time, though, and I think it’s all hilarious. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Yep. I'm not good at that. I just thought that a complement was in order, as she evidently put thought into her outfit. She was striking. But I was not out for a connection. Was it rude to act as I did? Since I never get attention, I don't know how to act.

Yep. I'm not good at that. I just thought that a complement was in order, as she evidently put thought into her outfit. She was striking. But I was not out for a connection. Was it rude to act as I did? Since I never get attention, I don't know how to act.

No I don’t think your behavior was rude at all. It’s just that probably she wasn’t sure what to make of it on her end.

Withbthe complement. I didn't want to silence anybody as I just wanted it taken at face value without much discussion. I thinkmher smile meant that shevwas OK with it, whichbwas enough for me.

Not out of line, receiving random compliments are great but I would have been confused by the silencing at the end. Like am I not allowed to say anything back, even a thank you? :p

I get lots of compliments regarding the various hats I wear, I welcome it...

Based on my experiences, most women appreciate a compliment, I will even say it when I don't take a photo of them... And sometimes it is to start a conversation with them so I can ask if I can take a photo of them, as one of my stranger portraits

Prime example below (two photos), one from 11 years ago heading home from a one week vacation in Victoria, BC... The outfit and her hair and hat was stunning! Yes, I complimented her and had a brief conversation, of course... She was very friendly, not everyone is... And did get two photos...

Eva - Victoria 01.jpg

Eva - Victoria 02.jpg

Sometimes I just say what I think and compliment a person if I think they are dressed extra nice
or have an accessory, like a necklace, hat, ring or even unusual shoes.

I did this to a waiter at a restaurant last weekend.
He had a beautiful elongated amethyst in the rough crystal with a gold crowned top on it.
I told him his necklace was beautiful.
He thanked me and then said he liked my glasses which were tinted amethyst purple lens!

Then I went home and tried to find a pendant like that on Amazon or E-Bay!
I wanted one like it sooo bad. :rolleyes:

I get lots of compliments regarding the various hats I wear, I welcome it...

Based on my experiences, most women appreciate a compliment, I will even say it when I don't take a photo of them... And sometimes it is to start a conversation with them so I can ask if I can take a photo of them, as one of my stranger portraits

Prime example below (two photos), one from 11 years ago heading home from a one week vacation in Victoria, BC... The outfit and her hair and hat was stunning! Yes, I complimented her and had a brief conversation, of course... She was very friendly, not everyone is... And did get two photos...

View attachment 78092
View attachment 78093
Nice, and I like leather. Even I look good in my full set of leathers from Schott and Fox Creek.

Not out of line, receiving random compliments are great but I would have been confused by the silencing at the end. Like am I not allowed to say anything back, even a thank you? :p
Yes, that would have confused me too. And probably make me a little irritated, but that’s because I personally don’t respond well to perceived attempts to silence me.

I would say no, not out of line. People do awful things to each other all the time, what you did was not bad.

I would not do it, talk to strangers on a plane or bus or whatever, but that could be because of the culture here I live. We usually don't talk to strangers because we don't want to bother them or get into their personal space. I think it's nice, you can sit on a bus with lots of people around you and no one says anything. :)

View attachment 78100 View attachment 78098

My husband says, "Let's go to Norway!" :smile:

I don't know how he ended up with me - and thinking so highly of me - seeing that I personally interact with strangers if they seem friendly and give off the right vibes.

I wonder if the increased "individual distance" (as this thing is officially called) in Norway has been historically helpful in preventing the transmission of communicable diseases.

Sounds awkward.

That's like a Hit and run complement.

ME: *walk up* hi, thats a amazing "X" you're wearing. You have great taste.
HER: *looks* Well..
ME: *Turns back on her. Walks away.*
HER: heY WHERE ARE YOU GOING!
ME: *HANDS UP* .... talk to the hand baby, cause the face ain't listening..
*calmly walk away in autistic fashion.*
HER: ..what the fuuuuh

No nothing awkward about such an interaction at all..... :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, AWKWARD is the word. Like, you're afraid to continue the interaction. So you Bail. You mustered the nerve to say that one thing, then dissapear. Are you thinking, presupposing, they would not acknowledge you, speak, or barely react? that you're such a non-entity. So in order to preempt a expected negative reaction, you say your piece, then run. Have I got that right? Amateur Psychologist, That I am.

Being Autistic. It can be hard to get a good grasp, of what to do, in the moment. The silencing, was probably a gut reaction. Probably a habit of yours maybe. Interaction, is realtime thing, cant' depend on habits. Need realtime calculations. Need to respond to realtime conditions, which requires body language observation skill.

I just noticed you're 71. Woah . She probably thought you were harmless, therefore was more agreeable, hence, "the smile." Maybe she considered you a grandfatherly figure.

If it was a young male, maybe it would be different. Like, she might think you have ulterior motives. Like, you're trying to get her name & number.

Bottom line. No, I don't think you were out of line. It was a friendly compliment. Maybe just handled clumsily. Which is an all too common occurrence, and inevitable reality that we face.

Now that you mention it, maybe she should have been allowed to say something if she wanted to. But I assumed it was because of covid, she was wearing a mask so I think it was a little considerate to not hang around and make her talk. If a stranger did that to me on a plane now in covid times, I wouldn't want to talk and I would appreciate it if people signaled to me that I didn't have to say anything or remove my mask.
She did pull down her mask though and was supposedly about to respond... but I guess if that were the case, could have added something like, "No need to respond, just wanted to compliment, etc".

Well, a question for the women on the site. I know that many dislike unwanted attention. I was on my last flight leg of my trip, from Narita to Bangkok and a little punchy after a trip from start to finish of about 30 hours with 20 of those in the air. There was a young woman seated ahead of me who was up and around a few times. I noticed she was wearing a nice embroidered dress below the knees with a denim jacket. Add a squash blossom necklace and she would not have been out of place on the Big Rez. Y'know how people flying nowadays dress haphazardly, and I was wearing my ranchwear, nothing fancy (like my embroidered skulls and roses black shirt).

So, you know I am hesitant about approaching people, especially women, and I think I am rarely noticed myself, but I thought her quite handsome in that outfit, so I got up and said "Excuse me, miss." And I got her attention. "I think your outfit is nice, especially with the denim jacket." She pulled down her mask and gave me a smile and was about to say something, but I just held up my hand to indicate I was not expecting a reply and went back to my seat.

Was I out of line with this interaction? I know that people frequently travel in their own bubble and I surprised myself as I rarely do such things.

Overall, I felt your compliment was very fine, based on the information known and given. I mean, you used a polite word, "Miss", said nice and briefer words about her clothing style in a sincere and tactful way, were not asking her to converse with you as she had a mask on and could have thought your hand "up" was just a polite way for you so to say she did not have to take her mask off, risking her to any sickness, and as she may then have felt no pressure to reply, to some stranger.

Also, she would likely have judged your tone of voice, looks, age, and expressions, to see if you were being honest, friendly,offensive, to be feared or flirty. And so I would assume the first two mentioned, if I were like her, if your voice, expressions, posture, age, manner of dress yourself seemed to fit the message given by you to her. For instance, if you were some young guy, with unbuttoned shirt to your navel, and some chain hanging around your neck, used inappropriate language and tone, and had eyes sizing her up, yeah, that could be a problem.

But, yeah, I thought what you did showed more kindness, sincerity and politeness than not, knowing many women can prefer others at least think of their attire sometimes in a fashionable way, and as she may have dressed for a more formal occasion. Some women, however, depending on their personality and mindset at the time could have preferred more space, or have been at least a little surprised by what you said or did, but sometimes it's OK to risk such comment to show how we really feel, if some feeling like that was genuine, coming from your heart, with no ill will intended or anything expected in return.

Personally, I could never though make a habit of doing something nice like that on my end, but just if a rarer such occurrence was present that I felt more justified that, or if I felt the other would definitely be receptive to that. It would be hard for me anyway to initiate appropriate such comments anyway, and as I am not the type to initiate such nice comments about others' physical appearance--men or female- being more introverted and fearful of rejection there. I admit my focus often has been more on others' personalities or actions, and I would take more risks there in stating my nicer feelings there, for those rarer times.

In this age where harassment claims can be given in the wink of an eye, and many can still seem more hesitant to talk to strangers, I find the safer approach for me is to just focus on being polite and somewhat formal, factual, brief, and less loose with my words, but showing compliments too, if a very nice deed or actions was given. Like, my wife thought that mug given to her by your wife in person at our place a couple of days ago was an awesome expression of friendliness showing her kindness! She loved that message on it too, and it gave her a smile and calmness and the needed energy to proceed with the meeting.

How rare is it that "by chance" two on the forum who post somewhat regularly or are known would have some family members meet for an hour, not knowing in advance of that and not expecting such. This is a small world after all. Props to your wife for the important work she does helping others!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom