• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Was gone a week

Pats

V.I.P Member
I had to make sort of an emergency trip to take care of my daughter's dogs. Her mother and father in law had paid for a huge family vacation to Disney and it's been scheduled for over a year. Couple days before the trip, my daughter's dog, Sadie, has a seizure and kept over night to start her on phenobarb. Probably a brain tumor. Neighbors were going to come in a couple times a day to take care of the dogs, but Sadie could not be left alone and my son in law was going to have to stay behind to take care of her so I went to take care of her. Yes, he was very grateful.

Poor Sadie, disoriented and groggy and when she was awake she'd do this pre-seizure activity but never went into a full seizure. They also put her on prednisone so all she wanted to do was drink water (well, she wanted to eat a lot too but that's her). Her disorientation, she'd have accidents whenever she was waking up so the first couple days, all I did was wash cushion covers, blankets and towels. I finally went out and got some big black trash bags and covered all the cushion with the bags, and then a blanket - easier to wash just the blankets. It did make me feel good that when I got there she was excited and knew who I was - even my grand doggies love when I visit. :) But I tell ya, they kept me busier than babysitting any of the grandkids.

I had access to their computer but couldn't remember any of my passwords to get on anything, so a week with no computer. I got some crocheting done, though. :) And her house is clean with new shower liner, new toilet paper and towel holder in downstairs bathroom - happened to have them in my car. Fridge cleaned out, all laundry done, dishwater empty, whatever needed done. She reminds me of me at that age - still kind of learning how to take care of the house.

I had my grandson stay down here to take care of my dogs. I don't like leaving them. I can tell Cubbie was left outside for long times because my fairy garden is scattered everywhere, the gate I use to block Cubbie is down, and outside is just a mess. So I can tell she got antsy out there. Inside not much better - just messy and a few little dog poops to clean up from Milkbud. So now I'll be cleaning my apartment. Oh - and I had given my grandson money to buy himself a carton of drinks - he didn't - he drank the 12 pack I had just opened and put in the fridge. I keep Mountain Dews down here for my grandsons, but I drink Diet Dr Pepper. That's why I don't like leaving my animals - no one is going to take care of them (or my apartment) the way I do and I always am a bit upset when I get home.

I had to make sort of an emergency trip to take care of my daughter's dogs. Her mother and father in law had paid for a huge family vacation to Disney and it's been scheduled for over a year. Couple days before the trip, my daughter's dog, Sadie, has a seizure and kept over night to start her on phenobarb. Probably a brain tumor. Neighbors were going to come in a couple times a day to take care of the dogs, but Sadie could not be left alone and my son in law was going to have to stay behind to take care of her so I went to take care of her. Yes, he was very grateful.

Poor Sadie, disoriented and groggy and when she was awake she'd do this pre-seizure activity but never went into a full seizure. They also put her on prednisone so all she wanted to do was drink water (well, she wanted to eat a lot too but that's her). Her disorientation, she'd have accidents whenever she was waking up so the first couple days, all I did was wash cushion covers, blankets and towels. I finally went out and got some big black trash bags and covered all the cushion with the bags, and then a blanket - easier to wash just the blankets. It did make me feel good that when I got there she was excited and knew who I was - even my grand doggies love when I visit. :) But I tell ya, they kept me busier than babysitting any of the grandkids.

I had access to their computer but couldn't remember any of my passwords to get on anything, so a week with no computer. I got some crocheting done, though. :) And her house is clean with new shower liner, new toilet paper and towel holder in downstairs bathroom - happened to have them in my car. Fridge cleaned out, all laundry done, dishwater empty, whatever needed done. She reminds me of me at that age - still kind of learning how to take care of the house.

I had my grandson stay down here to take care of my dogs. I don't like leaving them. I can tell Cubbie was left outside for long times because my fairy garden is scattered everywhere, the gate I use to block Cubbie is down, and outside is just a mess. So I can tell she got antsy out there. Inside not much better - just messy and a few little dog poops to clean up from Milkbud. So now I'll be cleaning my apartment. Oh - and I had given my grandson money to buy himself a carton of drinks - he didn't - he drank the 12 pack I had just opened and put in the fridge. I keep Mountain Dews down here for my grandsons, but I drink Diet Dr Pepper. That's why I don't like leaving my animals - no one is going to take care of them (or my apartment) the way I do and I always am a bit upset when I get home.
Sad to hear. Generally, I prefer dogs over people.

Wow that was kind of you Pats, and lovely for poor Sadie, sad to hear about her illness. Bet you are glad to be home, and with your own doggies. And they're likely just as pleased! I saw the pic of the fairy garden you posted on another thread, really sweet! Hope the fairy folk have their garden restored soon...

If I had a pet that was just diagnosed with seizures and put on new, strong meds, and had to be away for a while, I would board the animal with the veterinarian (if they do that) or another clinic, so they could have both care and medical monitoring. I did board two cats when I went into the hospital for spine surgery. They seemed healthy and happy when I returned, and I know the vet techs there were very loving.

Still, it was generous of you to fill in, Pats. I'm only mentioning an alternative for people that don't have a family option.

Fell asleep early last night and slept late. Great to be in my own bed. Without having to wake up at 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. to let the dogs out, 8 a.m. to give a pill, feed them breakfast, feed the fish.
Oh - but I did enjoy playing with their Alexa. "Alexa, wake me up to George Harrison." :) So before I left I told Alexa to play Grand Funk's Inside Looking Out at 7 p.m. yesterday and this evening at 6, it should be playing Baby Shark. LOL

That was good of you to do what you did for them, and especially for the animals:) No one ever has looked after my pets or place as well as I do. So it was probably no surprise for you Pats. Must have been a little frustrating though.

Even having Charlie at the Vet's while on vacation, he returned only for me to discover that he could barely walk. They left him the entire eight days confined to a cage! Poor cat. The next time I posted a list of things that the vet techs had to do for his well-being. I assumed erroneously that they knew how to care for an elderly feline.

That was good of you to do what you did for them, and especially for the animals:) No one ever has looked after my pets or place as well as I do. So it was probably no surprise for you Pats. Must have been a little frustrating though.

Even having Charlie at the Vet's while on vacation, he returned only for me to discover that he could barely walk. They left him the entire eight days confined to a cage! Poor cat. The next time I posted a list of things that the vet techs had to do for his well-being. I assumed erroneously that they knew how to care for an elderly feline.
that's terrible!!!

Welcome back @Pats
I had my grandson stay down here to take care of my dogs. I don't like leaving them.
I hate leaving my pets too. Especially my dog. I feel better about the cats because there are two of them and they go to a nice quiet place but you just know my dog will be sad at a motel.

I got some crocheting done, though. :) And her house is clean with new shower liner, new toilet paper and towel holder in downstairs bathroom - happened to have them in my car. Fridge cleaned out, all laundry done, dishwater empty, whatever needed done. She reminds me of me at that age - still kind of learning how to take care of the house.
Wow. You wouldn't like a trip to Australia, would you? :p

New Threads

Top Bottom