• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Was anyone else raised in a dysfunctional home? (unsure if I should add trigger warnings?) a vent.

autism-and-autotune

A musical mind with recent revelations
This may be a bit long-winded, but thank you all for reading in advance.

I don't even really know how to begin, so I may just info-dump. It's very ironic that recently it was National Family day in Canada. I don't live in Canada but I'm pretty close to it. My mother is a narcissist with her own baggage while my father (I'm almost one-hundred percent certain) has autism. The childhoods of both of them were tumultuous, at least my mother's was. But having a bad childhood and marrying someone who is a mirror of your own mother is no excuse for taking it out on your children.

I don't want to go into the details of the mental, physical, or emotional abuse which my older sibling and I went through. Taking the past two years to work through my own issues and discover my own autism has been work enough. I grew up as the scapegoat child who always had to live up the to expectations of the older sibling, who was smarter than me and more adventurous (but these were most likely forms of escaping from the house). Seeing as my autism wasn't ever picked up on and I was blamed for my sensory issues, rather than being given understanding and support, I've been feeling very resentful and hateful of my parents now more than ever.

Does the good wash away the bad? Do we feel that 'we deserved' whatever punishment or treatment we received? I'm just so angry. My older sibling loathes our mother for giving them body issues, and for accepting our old childhood friend and her husband as our mother's 'adopted' children. My mother treats her dogs better than she did us. My father was abusive and physically violent towards me, but my older sister? Never. Even spelling it out to her in the privacy and safety of my own home, she only sees him as the victim and not an enabler. "He's clearly being abused by mom," she told me one day after informing me that he'd confided to her once that our mother acts exactly like his mother did. So what? How would you feel if your earliest memory of him was anger?

What puts the nail in the coffin is the breaking of boundaries, for the only and final time. My father emails me often, asking to call, or asking to see me. I decline, as I'm not in the mood, and I say so. I'll reach out when I feel like speaking, I respond. This clearly means nothing, as they made an unannounced and unauthorized visit to our home to inform us of my aunt's death. "We didn't hear from you and I wanted to see you!" was his defense. My fiancee and I live two hours away and we were cooking supper.

I'm proud of myself for not having a panic attack and for grey-rocking the entire time. "We never hear from you! you never call home, You never get back to us. We miss you!" were the words of my mother. "Communication has been difficult lately," I said, stating the obvious and offering nothing in return. All they did was nitpick and interrogate and bully me...at least until my fiancee stepped outside to protect me. Complete 180 from both of them.

That evening resulted in a barrage of emails from all three of them. "Dad needs the support and I can't be there for him," my older sister wrote. I wonder if you'd feel the same if he'd ever spanked you? You hate our mother for reasons of physical and emotional abuse, after all.
"I just wanted to see you and we hadn't heard from you!" from my father. Maybe you should never have been so furious in my childhood.
"It's so hard. We miss you. Family is all that matters. You'll have nothing but regrets one day." from my mother. Maybe you should never have hit me in the garden one summer when I was in my twenties. Maybe you shouldn't have yelled at me about my grades every morning and told me "I'm just looking out for you!" Maybe you shouldn't have ever questioned if I was on drugs during bouts of depression. Maybe you should've been kind and compassionate and understanding and willing to change.

I hate that I have all of these things I wish I could say but am so afraid of doing so.

But no matter what you do with your evidence of abuse, they'll dismiss it; they'll never admit to it. They'll justify it. I'm just so furious and angry. All of this affects my fiancee as much as it does me, and it's just so not fair. Short of ordering a restraining order...

They know nothing of my disorder. I wanted to tell them, and to admit to them that the heart of my fury resides within them; why did you have children in the first place? I wanted to tell them not out of the sake of comfort and confiding, but to scare them, and to unsettle them. Children are extensions of parents, and my parents cannot be vulnerable and cannot have flaws of any kind.

I'm getting that silly pre-regret feeling of typing all of this and neglecting to hit 'post.' Oh well. Thanks for reading. I'll try to get back to as many responses as I can; I'm just...so frazzled right now.

Having a dysfunctional family is damaging and difficult. I can sense the pain and confusion this is causing you.

My family was dysfunctional in many ways. My parents are both dead now and therefore moot. I had cut off my father for decades. I cut off from my siblings except for one brother.

Family is important, but sometimes family members or systems can be dangerous for us.

We can’t escape our families’ influence on our lives.

I can only change my life and try to make my life better, regardless of what happened when I was growing up.

I'd recommend a book The Body Keeps the Score as well as The Myth of Normal.

I think you could deeply relate to both of these. As well as looking up Gabor Maté or Bessel van der Kolk on Youtube as there's plenty to see and learn.

Trauma is often generational. Our parents struggles can be projected onto us - through further trauma, gaslighting, emotional neglect, or outright physical or sexual abuse.

As the first book I recommended states - the body as well as the mind hold onto this trauma. It removes a sense of safety in our lives and can lead to chronic illnesses such as Fibromyalgia, Anxiety, Depression, Chronic Fatigue, eating disorders, addictions, self-harm, suicide etc. Also - a lot of ADHD and Autistic behaviours mimic unresolved trauma PTSD/CPTSD.

Ed

If family is important or not is to be decided by you. The degree of your comunication with them is decided by you. Its your life now.

My family was functional and loving, we had some issues, but generally speaking it was a very good family. And my contact with them is not that much. Should I talk with them more? Thats to be decided by me.

Im glad that you talk about it. Sounds very much like trauma. I am going to quote a part of "trauma and recovery" book that talks about disclosure to the family. It seems you are thinking about it, so it may contain some value for you. I dont imply that your case is similar to this, I put the info here just in case:

IMG_20230222_050016.jpg

IMG_20230222_050129.jpg

IMG_20230222_050234.jpg

Screenshot_2023-02-22-05-03-23-126_com.google.android.apps.books.jpg

IMG_20230222_050406.jpg

IMG_20230222_050451.jpg

simply mine.

This was done under the supervision of a competent trauma therapist, and after having found safety. Im by no means implying that this is your case or that you should do this. I have shared this fragment of the book for education only. You are not alone on this.

Hugs.

My family was certainly dysfunctional. I can't say it didn't affect me, but I realized at a young age that my parents didn't know what they were doing. And though I never doubted they were my parents, I never thought of them as parents. I think this helped me to detach and not take them seriously, even though I wasn't a defiant child.

Whenever I've dwelled on past abuse, it has exacerbated the issue, in my experience. Decades from now, I wonder if we'll look back on this period of trauma knowledge, the inner child, and similar things as one which made people's problems worse. All my parents--or childhood bullies--showed me was how lost or horrible people can be. But, I like being alive and know my purpose.

I used to think it was really weird to have a terrible childhood. But, it isn't. It's weird to not have a terrible childhood.

It took well into my thirties before I could empathize with what my parents were going through and to understand how they could be motivated to think and behave as they did. Much of my parent's BS was merely social and economic unfairness they were experiencing at the time, which was all amplified toward me because children are inescapably a burden on resources. Not that kids are to blame, but kids do create unique stressors, and parent's often lash out.

As my mom has aged she's begun reaching out often to kinda make things right - she won't delve into details but I can tell she feels guilty and finally respects my boundaries. Dad is still dad, and that's it.

I don't think there is anything to excuse taking things out on a kid. However, the social and economic crap you are experiencing today was present when your parent's were your current age - people do drugs for a reason. Maybe take that into consideration moving forward. Or not; there are no rules for this.

I guess the main thing would be to not feel like you deserved it, you know? This way you won't feel so compelled to self-deprecate or seek vengeance. Carrying the fallout of abuse for the rest of your life is just validating the abuse, keeping it powerful, and stealing your time and energy.

And I know that last part sounds like a cop-out, but it's true. If your parent's stole your innocence and potential, hanging onto the outrage keeps the door open for others to pick up where your parents left off.

This may be a bit long-winded, but thank you all for reading in advance.

I don't even really know how to begin, so I may just info-dump. It's very ironic that recently it was National Family day in Canada. I don't live in Canada but I'm pretty close to it. My mother is a narcissist with her own baggage while my father (I'm almost one-hundred percent certain) has autism. The childhoods of both of them were tumultuous, at least my mother's was. But having a bad childhood and marrying someone who is a mirror of your own mother is no excuse for taking it out on your children.

I don't want to go into the details of the mental, physical, or emotional abuse which my older sibling and I went through. Taking the past two years to work through my own issues and discover my own autism has been work enough. I grew up as the scapegoat child who always had to live up the to expectations of the older sibling, who was smarter than me and more adventurous (but these were most likely forms of escaping from the house). Seeing as my autism wasn't ever picked up on and I was blamed for my sensory issues, rather than being given understanding and support, I've been feeling very resentful and hateful of my parents now more than ever.

Does the good wash away the bad? Do we feel that 'we deserved' whatever punishment or treatment we received? I'm just so angry. My older sibling loathes our mother for giving them body issues, and for accepting our old childhood friend and her husband as our mother's 'adopted' children. My mother treats her dogs better than she did us. My father was abusive and physically violent towards me, but my older sister? Never. Even spelling it out to her in the privacy and safety of my own home, she only sees him as the victim and not an enabler. "He's clearly being abused by mom," she told me one day after informing me that he'd confided to her once that our mother acts exactly like his mother did. So what? How would you feel if your earliest memory of him was anger?

What puts the nail in the coffin is the breaking of boundaries, for the only and final time. My father emails me often, asking to call, or asking to see me. I decline, as I'm not in the mood, and I say so. I'll reach out when I feel like speaking, I respond. This clearly means nothing, as they made an unannounced and unauthorized visit to our home to inform us of my aunt's death. "We didn't hear from you and I wanted to see you!" was his defense. My fiancee and I live two hours away and we were cooking supper.

I'm proud of myself for not having a panic attack and for grey-rocking the entire time. "We never hear from you! you never call home, You never get back to us. We miss you!" were the words of my mother. "Communication has been difficult lately," I said, stating the obvious and offering nothing in return. All they did was nitpick and interrogate and bully me... at least until my fiancee stepped outside to protect me. Complete 180 from both of them.

That evening resulted in a barrage of emails from all three of them. "Dad needs the support and I can't be there for him," my older sister wrote. I wonder if you'd feel the same if he'd ever spanked you? You hate our mother for reasons of physical and emotional abuse, after all.
"I just wanted to see you and we hadn't heard from you!" from my father. Maybe you should never have been so furious in my childhood.
"It's so hard. We miss you. Family is all that matters. You'll have nothing but regrets one day." from my mother. Maybe you should never have hit me in the garden one summer when I was in my twenties. Maybe you shouldn't have yelled at me about my grades every morning and told me "I'm just looking out for you!" Maybe you shouldn't have ever questioned if I was on drugs during bouts of depression. Maybe you should've been kind and compassionate and understanding and willing to change.

I hate that I have all of these things I wish I could say but am so afraid of doing so.

But no matter what you do with your evidence of abuse, they'll dismiss it; they'll never admit to it. They'll justify it. I'm just so furious and angry. All of this affects my fiancee as much as it does me, and it's just so not fair. Short of ordering a restraining order...

They know nothing of my disorder. I wanted to tell them, and to admit to them that the heart of my fury resides within them; why did you have children in the first place? I wanted to tell them not out of the sake of comfort and confiding, but to scare them, and to unsettle them. Children are extensions of parents, and my parents cannot be vulnerable and cannot have flaws of any kind.

I'm getting that silly pre-regret feeling of typing all of this and neglecting to hit 'post.' Oh well. Thanks for reading. I'll try to get back to as many responses as I can; I'm just... so frazzled right now.

I'm sorry all you went through and are going through because of them. Your family seems to be projecting their needs and desires onto you, and from the sound of it, they seem to have at least desires that they come into your life for their benefit and not yours, to create more drama and to scapegoat, at best, if not to like intentionally or not to abuse more. No apologies, or admittance of wrong, not that those words may say much anyways, as many persons look at actions and sincerity foremost. And their actions and words seem to me be more manipulation related, selfish intent, not sincerity and true care.

I can just say my sister was narcissistic and I could not deal with her snobbishness, apathy towards us, and entitlement at all and thankfullyI have not talked more than a few words to her in almost 40 years. She even tried to kill our mother about eight years ago by pressuring the nurse to pull the tubes off sooner when she was terminally ill and dying, because she had to get back to her high-status job in another state because of being allowed just a three days absence. Our alcoholic and abusive Dad I emancipated from about forty years ago too. Our mother was just as abusive, and she was domineering and controlling. So much that I feared disowning her. Also, I was never sure if the good side she showed at times was just her manipulative and selfish tendencies to keep us in her life.

Anyway, what I said perhaps pails in comparison to what my wife went through with her family in Canada. An extremely cold, controlling, materialistic and emotionally abusive mother; one who took out a few life insurance on my wife when she was a teen, hoping she could collect there some day, as seen by her statements and other actions too with purpose to inflame her (her daughter/my wife's) fragile mental health. through wild hurtful accusations about her and us, desires to split us apart over the last eighteen years, two years as a live-in couple at her mother's place before marriage and relocating to the states. Although I then was a very emotionally strong and optimistic person, I could not stand her mother for even one day, much less the eighteen years my wife had to deal with her til a late teen, causing her much trauma and suffering.

As for my wife's dad, he was aloof and neglectful, and let his former wife rob him blind in the divorce, refuse him visitation rights with the daughter, and then my wife's mother used that money to buy a second condominium investment property for herself, instead of allowing for the funds from the divorce to go into a trust fund for her daughter. And so you guessed it, once my wife and I married sixteen years ago, after I took her away from her mother in the middle of the night and crossed the border, we never looked back. I cannot even mention her mother and dad's name without her being potentially PTSD hospitalized over them. The amount of problems I had as a child because of my parents, and especially the problems my wife had because of hers, yeah, we are looking forward.

So I am sorry the op had to deal with her family abuses against her too. and for their any current attempts to disrupt the happiness and peace with your fiance further, with possible desires to meddle further and cause more distress for you both. Do things on your terms, as they had their chance as parents and blew it. You are an adult now and may not need that parental bond anymore, if it is causing you more negatives than benefits. Parents are not entitled to anything, once we are adults. How they raised us then will determine what we want, need and can handle from them later, and how we view them now. If they were not there for us then in the ways we deserved and needed, what makes others think they miraculously will change their ways to treat us better? Likely, would be just more of the same. Both of my parents are deceased, but my wife's are still alive and we moved on there. It's way more peaceful without them all.

Last edited:
Short answer to the topic title question: Yes. My childhood experiences resulted in CPTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and required a number of years of trauma therapy and EMDR. Thankfully however, the therapy changed my life for the better and by extension, changed the life of my own family (household) for the better as well. Breaking the chain/cycle is so important.

I never had access to this fancy stuff....so I was left self help books like my Mom. So I reckoned I had a avoidant attachment disorder and I was lucky to work through small issues at a time to avoid being bi-polar as this is term for women.
I think abuse has lasting effects on people with 'disability' and self helps allows you to guide the issue as opposed to a therapist who isn't sure what is autism symptom vs childhood trauma.

Self help is nice if you battle to word your problems to others because it was me writing into my journal how I felt....spending week opening up my feelings, forgiving and letting go. Then I burnt the page and let it go.

It took years before I was able to learn to assert myself or talk about my needs and this is where my Mom was very sharp about self-help

@autism-and-autotune,
I just wanted to recognize your courage for actually hitting the post button. I do believe it is therapeutic to write these things down, but hopefully, even moreso to actually hit post and get the support understanding that you deserve.

It sounds like you have healing to do, and in the face of a problem that still persists. An unannounced visit as you just endured, I think, is one of the most disrespectful, intrusive, and selfish things that someone can do. If there is any understanding that you did not want that, it is vile for your family to impose themselves upon you. Their unwillingness to be accountable for the way that they treated you shows that they may not be able to help in your healing.

I do think family is important, but it is the concept of a family that is important, not the blood lines that determine it. With your fiancé, and other people in your life that you love and feel supported by, perhaps you can create your own new family. Especially now, in our modern age, there are no prerequisites for what determines a family. I hope and believe that you can find people to include in your life that give you what your blood relatives have not given you, and further, can support your ability to be resilient and reclaim your life as your own in the shadow of the damage and hurt that your parents have caused.

Even as understanding grows as we age, and relationships get more complicated, we must have compassion for the children… The child version of yourself… That had to go through such a tumultuous world as a little kid. There is no acceptable reason that children should be brought into a nasty, neglectful, and harmful world. It is not right, it is not their fault, and even as adults, we must protect the children, including the past versions of ourselves that were just doing the best we could to survive.

I had repressed memories, I spoke on another thread. For years I'd forgotten how I'd really felt about my dad hitting me over knuckles with wooden spoon. Many memories are suppressed and depending on severity it can be borderinv onto PTSD and one time it took me a long recovery period which was necessary but I warn you could be vulnerable until exo-skeleton forms so disrupt daily life (exclaimer) and I got through it but can't say it's for everyone

Natural born killers when he's in desert with Mallorie and Indians hypnotise him and the memory of his father was too much

I’ve always understood my life to be tragic. I was second autistic child to an autistic mother. My older brother and mother had some weird control issues and I was their foil. Bro was outgoing type, possibly worst piece of social destruction alive. But he had friends, and I never heard the end of ‘be like your brother.’

Mom dismissed me as stupid, probably never having been told by the school that my IQ is very high. I was pushed into jobs like dishwashing and flipping burgers while still in high school; training for my future.

Decades later, the folks came to visit. When I started talking about my job supervising a secret high tech facility, Mom stopped me cold. With her greatest look of disdain, she said, “Don’t try to tell me you are somebody.”

Having an undiagnosed but severe learning disability, I had learned to teach myself. One thing about computer installations, they are Well documented. A contractor, I was often introduced informally as the ‘guru’ for the system, and was formally introduced as the government’s ‘cognizant authority’ for the complex. With a few college credits and a mountain of manuals.

That’s one little thread in a long life of being underestimated. My own mother thought me an idiot, while she sat in my house, which spoke of some accomplishment. Maybe she thought my wife’s job did that; not likely.

It’s part of my neural package to appear either weird or stupid, because I focus on things that don’t attract their attention. Nowadays , we can mention autism. But I didn’t self diagnose until I was almost 70. Even now, I fight the bitterness of being raised to such an abysmal standard and being used as a battlefield prop.

But then… Mom and bro were born autistic, as well. Some of us don’t read people very well.

It's still narcissism even if reason was you were autistic, actually it hurts.
I never danced or impressed everyone in a musical family. I couldn't act or live up.

Theme in abuse whether narcisstic or not that I had inner critic voice but she was silent, I never felt good enough, or deserving of things. It took years to get rid of that thinking and replace it with being able to relax, and be normally happy.

edit I really do appreciate all your responses! Thank you for giving me much to think about. I'll try to give in depth responses tomorrow; I'm reading all your words and letting them sink in.

This is a for those who are interested in psychology here....
(TV gives us a different view of family, is it a choice to choose not to be abusive or is it reliant on experiencing love in a family?)

By Matthias Kroegerson

Can a person with autism also have narcissistic personality disorder? Or is there just a great deal of overlap in traits?
My depression
My anxiety
My emotional dysregulation
My lack of fear
My black and white thinking
My addictions to smoking, alcohol, and sex
My hate of cutlery scraping on plates
My youthful appearance
My love of science and numbers
My love of psychology and observing people
My lack of object permanence that therapy couldn’t heal
My special interests (flying, fishing, climbing, crypto)
My heightened sexual experience
My obsession with justice and making things “right”
My fascination with visual snow
My asthma, epilepsy and spinal issues
My need to avoid the phone
My need to avoid people in general
My need for control
My lust for suicide
My rich inner world
My fluid gender
My fluid sexuality
My beige food KFC/Krispy Kreme obsession
My troubles with theory of mind
My lack of empathy and yet my abundance of empathy
My ability to love and yet a feeling like somehow I couldn’t
My struggle with external locus of evaluation
The fact I was hyperlexic in childhood
The fact I have ADHD
The fact I am chameleonic
The fact I copy people
The fact I relate to the guy from Mr Robot
The fact I’m constantly in my head
The fact I used to see people as commodities
The fact I can talk about cryptocurrency so much that people around me start to cry
The fact I love my children but cannot cope, beyond what is considered normal, with the amount of information that comes out of them
The fact I travelled across the world to get away from said children and then felt incredibly guilty about it
The fact I get utterly obsessed with people
The fact I intellectualise and process things cognitively instead of feeling them
The fact my heart beats too fast when I stand up
The fact I dominate conversations and interrupt people
The fact that my utterances are either tightly controlled or uncontrollable
The fact things go around and around and around in my head
The fact I couldn’t really come up with many gaslighting examples
The fact people read things into what I say that aren’t true
The fact I’m unusually calm on the outside
The fact my introverted daughter Marion is secretly my favourite
The fact I can self-reflect
The fact that my aunt’s death wasn’t just about grief but the order and familiarity she brought to our home
The fact people were so confused about me here
The fact I never meant to hurt anyone
The fact that my “real self” is a computer programmer living in a cabin in the woods
The fact that when I took off the “narcissistic mask” I felt like I was still wearing one
The fact I remembered this entirely list effortlessly
The fact I have a conscience
The fact I’m kind.

Everything on this list is a sign I’m autistic, not narcissistic. I picked these points deliberately, because the majority are already mentioned in my answers and comments here.
Can you have NPD and autism together? I don’t see why not, however, I don’t think I do, and my psychologists don’t think I ever did. Those traits listed above? They come from a different place.

New Threads

Top Bottom