• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Warning about playing too much video games

Dry eye syndrome - Wikipedia

Because blinking coats the eye with tears, symptoms are worsened by activities in which the rate of blinking is reduced due to prolonged use of the eyes. These activities include prolonged reading, computer usage, driving, or watching television. Symptoms increase in windy, dusty or smoky (including cigarette smoke) areas, in dry environments high altitudes including airplanes, on days with low humidity, and in areas where an air conditioner (especially in a car), fan, heater, or even a hair dryer is being used

I guess this article could be written about reading too much as well.. Or going on road trips.. Or going outside in the wind.. Or going to the desert.. Or taking a plane..

But no, let's make it about the dangers of video games.. :rolleyes:

92cc8e5ba9ce2117759c5b6d8e647c06.jpg

I played too much GTA back in the day, then I got the death penalty after blowing up a cop car with a rocket launcher. Getting this cell phone smuggled into my cell was a real pain.

Seriously, though, this issue also sometimes effects people who use computers at their desk jobs. Why are video games a popular scapegoat?

Maybe it's a generational thing. Most people I've met of my parents generation think video games are a waste of time, yet they'll happily vegetate in front of the TV every evening. I try to explain to them that video games are just a more interactive version of TV. If anything - it's less of a time waster in my opinion. Then again, an addict will often try and justify themselves.

Ed

Why are video games a popular scapegoat?

Honestly, I think it actually STARTED with all that nonsense during the arcade era... parents didnt understand the concepts, they worried about their kids getting "hypnotized" by the arcade units, local papers picked it up, ran the stories, got support... and then it just kept going from there.

People like Jack Thompson didnt help, later on.

It's a popular scapegoat now, and that in fact is the reason why it continues to be a popular scapegoat. A braindead cycle. Path of lowest effort for the most profit.

EDIT: Oh, and it's more than just that now.

Unfortunately, even I have to admit that there ARE genuine dangers in the industry now. Threats that arent clickbait. Issues born of corporate greed... you likely know what I mean. It's just that they arent THIS danger.

But they sure make it even easier to dupe parents into thinking that video games are Satan.

Something I wanted to say to you specifically:

Take news articles like this with a grain of salt. No... with a giant freaking yacht entirely made of salt.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: news articles arent meant to inform you. They're meant to FUNNEL you... towards ads. THAT is very literally the point of an article like this. They use that headline to sensationalize it and get your attention, but they oh-so-conveniently "forget" to mention about 200 other details related to it, like the stuff that others in this thread have already mentioned.

That's one reason why I keep advising people to stop reading this garbage so much. If you wanna know about the world... get the heck out there and freaking experience it. Dont glue yourself to this nonsense, just believing everything they tell you. That's how they getcha.

As a VERY longtime gamer AND a VR user... I can tell you this article is a bunch of silly idiocy that truly is missing darned near all the details. Just focuses on what helps them get those sweet, sweet clicks. Dont fall for it.

People younger and younger are getting diseases that are often related to older ages past 50 years

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ns-back-knee-problems-sedentary-a7436166.html

The culprit is lot of screen time and not enough activity and spending hours looking down at our tablets/phones. Too much video games as well so we sit too much so vein disease it is.

So make sure you take breaks and move your body. Hold your phone and tablet up to your eye level so you are not adding strain to your back and neck. Also make sure you exercise too so you get movement and do some house work so you get movement. Do not sit for hours without getting up.

New Threads

Top Bottom