• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Walking as a stim

I am a bad one for pacing back and forth, although I don't do it as much as I used to. When walking however I can start thinking about things (usually repeating) in my head, then time passes and I often don't remember most of the trip, people say I often appear to stare at the ground as I'm walking. If someone talks to me and I reply, E.g. a beggar asks me for money, my reply often repeats in my head for ages, going round and round, this is apparently mental stimming and it can even happen when I reply on this forum, I can often repeat things in my head and quite a bit of time can pass without me realising. It can happen with music too, although I believe that even NTs can repeat catchy tunes in their heads, it's probably more difficult for many of us to stop it however.

Last edited:
I pace when out of my mind with anxiety and the only way to get back to a safe place mentally, is what ever is causing the anxiety, goes and the times, I have cancelled out, because I cannot deal with the anxiety, but for about 3 year's uptil now, I have only "given in" a couple of times.

On the phone or worried I pace, or walk all over the place aimlessly mostly it seems.....
Sitting my leg is always moving or i find something to tap out the music in my head.

I'm a pacer. When I was younger, my mother constantly nagged me about pacing. She'd constantly say, "Stop pacing, you look like a caged tiger." I also grind my teeth and rock sometimes. If it's not creating a problem, then feel free to stim. Even Bill Gates stims:

The tooth grinding thing just cost me mostly all day at dentist... I snapped my molar and they broke it to . pieces getting it out... My face hurts...

I walk my dogs and disguise my mutterings by directing them towards the dogs. (It is presumed I'm instructing the dogs- doesn't draw attention)

To keep it to myself and try to gain some sort of slight control stimming mentally, I try to bounce the syllables in rhythm with my walking pace.

Strike the ground with a foot and add the next syllable or word, next foot - next part and so on.

Sounds nuts but it amuses me (lightening the tension) and keeps my brain directed and occupied
Often I don't end up thundering like a locomotive into full on anxiety

The tooth grinding thing just cost me mostly all day at dentist... I snapped my molar and they broke it to . pieces getting it out... My face hurts...

Calcium/magnesium is useful regarding tooth grinding.
Relaxes the muscles.

Pacing feels good to me. It makes thinking a lot easier. In the backyard my pacing has created a 20 foot long dirt path that's now 3" lower than outside the path.

Pacing laps around my sofa. Yeah. Helps me think my deepest thoughts. :cool:

Though I was made fun of it by friends and family. Hence the nickname "Judge". My stim.

Last edited:
The last time I went to the dentist he told me I was running out of teeth. I said, "That's okay, when they're all gone I'll get some cool fangs." He was amused.

Seriously, I can tell that some of my teeth are worn because of the grinding I do as a stim and when I'm asleep. My mother used to slap my face until my mouth bled thinking that would stop it. It didn't.

I think there may be appliances which you can wear during sleep which would prevent the tooth grinding.
Yup just checked Amazon- they have a bunch of them. Better than losing your teeth!

I think there may be appliances which you can wear during sleep which would prevent the tooth grinding.
Yup just checked Amazon- they have a bunch of them. Better than losing your teeth!

The last time I went to the dentist he told me I was running out of teeth. I said, "That's okay, when they're all gone I'll get some cool fangs." He was amused.

Seriously, I can tell that some of my teeth are worn because of the grinding I do as a stim and when I'm asleep. My mother used to slap my face until my mouth bled thinking that would stop it. It didn't.

Yes, and if you're particularly lucky,
you won't dislocate your jaw some night
and wake up either unable to open, or
unable to close, your mouth.

I will say, from personal experience, if
you're going to have your jaw unhinged....
go for the 'can't open' option. It's easier
to live with.

Yes, and if you're particularly lucky,
you won't dislocate your jaw some night
and wake up either unable to open, or
unable to close, your mouth.

I will say, from personal experience, if
you're going to have your jaw unhinged....
go for the 'can't open' option. It's easier
to live with.

Yikes, didn't even know this was a possibility.

I find when I go for a walk unless I am listening to music or have company my inner monologue tends to become more of an outer monologue without me realising, I have genuinely walked around holding a dead battery phone to my ear just so it didn't draw as much attention :p

If I may ask in this thread... would foot tapping be a stim? I also use to take the eraser side of the pencil and "comb" above my temple... I know it was anxiety related but I'm also ADHD. Just trying to sort out what is / was what.

If I may ask in this thread... would foot tapping be a stim? I also use to take the eraser side of the pencil and "comb" above my temple... I know it was anxiety related but I'm also ADHD. Just trying to sort out what is / was what.
Many NTs also tap their foot and this does fall within the definition of stimming, but it's usually only to the rhythm of music which I see as different, if you do it regularly and it's not just to audible music then I would say, yes, it is stimming. Also if you kept using the eraser side of the pencil to "comb" above your temple back and forth repeatedly it would also be defined as stimming, but if it was just once occasionally when you are for instance nervous it's different. Most people have subconscious body language which isn't really stimming, for instance if someone scratches their nose it can sometimes mean the person is lying or they might nibble their lips when under pressure, please click here for more examples.

Stimming definition:

"Self-stimulatory behavior, also known as stimming and self-stimulation, is the repetition of physical movements, sounds, or repetitive movement of objects common in individuals with developmental disabilities, but most prevalent in people with autism spectrum disorders."

Last edited:
paced all my life, but only in public during meltdowns when hiding it was the last thing on my mind. paced endlessly in private for a couple years, but no hiding was needed. my solution was moving near the beach. still pacing, but turning around much less often. added benefits are passerby eye contact/greeting is optional, and I can blame my crooked steps on uneven sand. um...that probably doesn't help you.

New Threads

Top Bottom