• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Waiting to be diagnosed or not with Autism

Lucas

Hello everyone,

My name is Lucas and I'm 23 years old. I have always been a quirky, like one of a kind (not on the good way) entire life, but never knew why. Last week, I came across Asperger's Syndrome. And the more I read about it, the more it made sense. It was as if they were talking specifically about me.

As a kid, I displayed all the symptoms and still do. Although, I have improved on my social skills, that feeling of not belonging is maybe stronger than ever. Out of curiosity, I did the AQ test twice. On one I scored 37 and 40 on the other. I have also done the Aspie Quiz (even though, I have heard it is not very trustworthy) and scored 128 aspie and 62 NT.

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Friday, but I just can't get the thought that I may or not be autistic. I can't focus anywhere else. I just need to know. Have anyone else been and experienced this pre-assessment anxiety? I don't really have anyone to open to about this.

Thank you for taking the time in helping me,

Lucas

welcome.png

When my psychiatrist told me she wanted to assess me for autism spectrum disorder, it was all I could think about for a week. And then I realized that in the end it would not change anything. Other than labeling me and allowing me to better understand myself, it did not change who I was.

By which I mean to say, don’t stress too much. You’re either on the spectrum or you aren’t, but either way you’re still you.

Hi Lucas, Welcome to the group. I’m in the same place as you... but 30 years older! My assessment isn’t until May and I can’t wait. There are a few of us in similar stage... you’ll find lots of support here. Good luck tomorrow, like someone above said, you’ll be you no matter what. But I understand the impatience .

I have been officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Thank you for the support everyone! It's great being around people who understand you.

New Threads

Top Bottom