• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vocal Stimming?

GU3RIXX

Greetings from Minnesota, USA ✌️ NT mom looking for more information regarding vocal or verbal stimming.

My 5y.o. son was diagnosed with ASD2 at age 2 and this is his favorite if, not, preferred stimming activity.

It's performed in lots of ways, but mostly involves echolalia, screaming, singing, and mechanical or alarm sounds. For the longest time, this was his way of communicating which was pretty entertaining lol

Anyway, he is in Pre-K and has IEP. The teacher has expressed concern as he is "disrupting class" and "affecting other kids' ability to learn" by doing this so they are forced to remove him from the room.

This really bothers me as it seems he's being excluded for doing something that brings him comfort.

Does anyone have any experience with vocal/verbal stimming or suggestions regarding this matter?

I'm also curious to know if this is typical in ASD2 or is it also common in other diagnosis ' on the spectrum...?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your replies!

Last edited:
As someone who does vocal stims sometimes, I dont know that there's really any way to just not do it. But, maybe it's possible to get the volume down a bit, perhaps, though I'm not sure how, that bit probably varies from one individual to the next.

In my case I tend to make a sort of "trilling" sound, I'm not sure what to call it. It's a type of vibration. I dont really know why or exactly how I do that, but I need to do it every now and then. It's not loud though, but the pitch can vary.

One thing I do know though is that if I'm prevented from stimming for some reason, I'll get progressively more and more agitated, which never ends well. That seems to be pretty common for people on the spectrum, from what I've seen.

Bah, there was more I was going to say here but now I cant remember what it was.

Maybe it would help to figure out what's agitating him in class, to cause the stimming? I tend to make different noises for stress relief, and it seems to me this comes from too much interaction. It's a response to stressors such as vocal inflection and speech volume. Like I need to have power over something that agitates me.

I have an autistic co-worker that has more of a verbal "tic", a sort of humming noise after he makes a statement. Very obvious. He's 65 and has done it for the past 35 years I've known him. I am quite certain he is aware of it, but either he can't help it, tried to stop it and failed, or probably doesn't care what other people think.

As a parent, you're correct that if he is being excluded due to his behavior, that is a concern, of course. However, for the sake of the rest of the class and minimizing attention and disruption, you can understand, I hope.

Now, it could be a result of social anxiety and is a stimming behavior. In which case, you may be able to find a way for him to stim in a different way. I hate the idea of medications, but a high dose (400mg) L-theanine works well for me to calm my brain and even out my mood. Consult your physician and do your research, of course.

Children and teachers can be rather unempathetic towards those who are "different" and can make the environment a bit "Hellish" at times. Many of us would have done much better academically if we had access to a private tutor, however, this situation of avoiding people, however nasty they can be, is not good either. He has to learn to deal with people like this, and develop his own "healthy" coping mechanisms for his own well-being and inner strength.

Never expect people to be accepting. As much as we would love to have this illusion that we are a "civilized" society, the reality is that modern human beings are about 3 hairs from being baboons when it comes to tribalistic behaviors.

As someone who does vocal stims sometimes, I dont know that there's really any way to just not do it. But, maybe it's possible to get the volume down a bit, perhaps, though I'm not sure how, that bit probably varies from one individual to the next.

In my case I tend to make a sort of "trilling" sound, I'm not sure what to call it. It's a type of vibration. I dont really know why or exactly how I do that, but I need to do it every now and then. It's not loud though, but the pitch can vary.

One thing I do know though is that if I'm prevented from stimming for some reason, I'll get progressively more and more agitated, which never ends well. That seems to be pretty common for people on the spectrum, from what I've seen.

Bah, there was more I was going to say here but now I cant remember what it was.
Thank you! I am beginning to wonder if this is what's going on.

My son has other fidget toys and a couple of small stuffed animals including his "cheetah friend" that he brings to school with him. The teacher advised that he hasn't "needed" these items for months.

I explained that my son has sensory issues and gets overwhelmed which is probably why he's vocally stimming. Doesn't help that he hasn't had access to his fidgets or other toys.

She's going to try this from now on and I'm feeling hopeful this will help even more after reading these replies.

I have an autistic co-worker that has more of a verbal "tic", a sort of humming noise after he makes a statement. Very obvious. He's 65 and has done it for the past 35 years I've known him. I am quite certain he is aware of it, but either he can't help it, tried to stop it and failed, or probably doesn't care what other people think.

As a parent, you're correct that if he is being excluded due to his behavior, that is a concern, of course. However, for the sake of the rest of the class and minimizing attention and disruption, you can understand, I hope.

Now, it could be a result of social anxiety and is a stimming behavior. In which case, you may be able to find a way for him to stim in a different way. I hate the idea of medications, but a high dose (400mg) L-theanine works well for me to calm my brain and even out my mood. Consult your physician and do your research, of course.

Children and teachers can be rather unempathetic towards those who are "different" and can make the environment a bit "Hellish" at times. Many of us would have done much better academically if we had access to a private tutor, however, this situation of avoiding people, however nasty they can be, is not good either. He has to learn to deal with people like this, and develop his own "healthy" coping mechanisms for his own well-being and inner strength.

Never expect people to be accepting. As much as we would love to have this illusion that we are a "civilized" society, the reality is that modern human beings are about 3 hairs from being baboons when it comes to tribalistic behaviors.

Sadly, I'm beginning to see just how unempathetic society can be towards those who are different.

My husband is also on the spectrum and has shared some disturbing stories from growing up and attending school in Mexico, but now I'm seeing it first-hand. The neurotypical learning environment is obviously not for everyone.

Connecting with other Autistic adults has opened my eyes to these things and helps me make decisions when it comes to my Autistic son.

I'm so happy to have come across this forum and can't thank you enough for your input.

I have developed a stim that's a very deep, barely audible humming sound. I can do it when I'm driving or even out in public. It's easier than ever now that wearing masks is acceptable. Maybe you could work together to come up with some less disruptive stims like that.

Fun stim word
Always in sequence of 5

Kartoffelpuffer​

Kartoffelpuffer​

Kartoffelpuffer​

Kartoffelpuffer​

Kartoffelpuffer​

New Threads

Top Bottom