1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vocabulary issues

Discussion in 'Help and Support' started by Penumbra, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Penumbra

Penumbra Member

I don't have many chances to speak aloud with others because I've grown heavily avoidant and I don't go out much. Being around other people I don't know well gives me extreme anxiety. I feel like my grasp on vocabulary has slipped because of it. It doesn't affect me as much while I'm typing because I'm allowed to take my time and edit my phrasing, but I stumble through the basic building blocks of language when I'm trying to speak. It's never been my strong suit, but I used to perform better because I had practice. How can I work on this if I can't handle a social life?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ronald Zeeman

Ronald Zeeman Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

do not feel bad, worse when you recover from a stroke, and computers were never a strong point.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Neonatal RRT

Neonatal RRT Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Most of the vocabulary I have picked up over the years was from reading scientific literature, scientific lectures, and generally being around intelligent people. In my experience, the vocabulary of a person is often a product of what they expose themselves to.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Have the same problem, have to cut my losses and just keep away from people (predators), so lost verbal skills. I think just being aware of it helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have mini discussions through out the day with the pets. The dogs of course, but especially the bird and even a mini african frog. Though sometimes the discussion takes place in whistles, chirps and gurgling. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. BoltzmannBrain17

BoltzmannBrain17 Member

I think you should try to work on your social anxiety. It may be less stressful at times to just live in hermitage and block out the world but ultimately we are social creatures even if we are on the spectrum. Take baby steps. Put yourself in social situations that make you anxious but that you can still handle. And remember that even if you can't overcome your social problems through force of will their are a lot of helpful anxiety medications out there. They've certainly helped me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

I would guess that the anxiety is diminishing your intellectual capacities and the results are not reflective of your actual ability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. UberScout

UberScout Are you there, God? ...Hello? V.I.P Member

Stupid Idiot Googling Translate as can be Swedish conversion to manual conversion language barrier.

9. Gift2humanity

Gift2humanity Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Once, I read online from someone on the spectrum, that text to AS people is like braille to the blind.
    Verbal communication in real time can be too immediate.

Verbal communication is a part of life though, and cannot be avoided, yet at the same time, we cannot pressure ourselves to become perfect, we are autistic, it can get easier though.
    Slowing down our speech helps a lot.

It is perfectly ok, in real time verbal communication to say to an NT, a stranger we may need to phone (mobile phone carriers, utility companies, shop workers etc) "I am autistic and find it challenging to talk, phone etc".

I have co-morbid mental health issues, and am starting to engage with groups, most of them at NT's, I cannot expect Oscar Wilde type vocabulary, from myself, I have to be happy with what I can do, it is ok.

It is also ok to accept that we have this condition for life and while it does present a challenge in verbal communication, with practice we can adapt somewhat, I feel, and it is also a blessing to accept we have autism and know that there are also many good aspects to being autistic.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

If it were not for my faith, I would find things declining too, since I barely go out and my husband is mostly not at home, but 6 day's a week, I get to interect with my spiritual family via zoom and that helps to not be starved.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Aneka

Aneka Well-Known Member

Lack of sleep (even a single night), anxiety like social anxiety and depression all have the same effect: People experience trouble with their memory, amnesic aphasia (unable to remember certain words) and trouble concentrating. It's normal. I've been there quite recently with my f€ed up internship. I even started stuttering, but only at my workplace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I've had the same problem since I don't have anyone to really talk with except my house share partner
    and he is elderly, so he doesn't talk much.
    We don't have common interests and he sleeps most of the time with the tv on either on some news
    channel or car shows.
    We usually eat dinner together, so there is a little convo then. But, being isolated from anyone else
    has taken it's toll on my memory and conversation abilities also.

Speaking slower and getting my thoughts together before I do, helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Gift2humanity

Gift2humanity Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

That sounds difficult.

Are there any local groups where you can interact with people?
    I'm starting to do a few, there is a little walk with one of them on Tuesday, so I am going on that.

I know that I will feel better if I go for a walk today, after my midday meal, I am going to push myself, I will think of how I will feel when I return, better than sitting indoors which is what I have been doing for years, but its getting to me now.

I am struggling to motivate myself to get out, yet I don't fancy sitting in here all day.
    I agree about speaking slower and getting thoughts together, not easy for me, but seems the only way forward.

• Like Like x 1