• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Visual snow anyone?

Iamnotarabot

Well its a bit complicated to explain with words but you can find easely what it its on google.

Is anyone of you experiencing that?

I actually thought it was how we see normally but it isnt, Iv always seen like that, well sometimes its stronger or weaker thought.

I have seen that since I was a child.
I thought everybody did.

I remember watching it particularly, when I was in bed,
at my grandma's house, upstairs, when I'd sleep over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow

I have also had tinnitus for a very long time.
Wow, this affects me, albeit infrequently, I think.
I have the same memory of it. Lying in bed in my extreme youth, staring blankly at what I (maybe) realized shouldn't be there. This happened much more frequently(or I noticed it more) in my youth.
When I see a point of laser-light on something, I see it as if it is... multifaceted, made up of tiny, separate reflections.
I have asked others if they saw this same phenomenon, and always got quizzical looks and negative answers, even after explaining what I was currently seeing.
I still see it. It's mesmerizing. Anyone else?

Wow, this affects me, albeit infrequently, I think.
I have the same memory of it. Lying in bed in my extreme youth, staring blankly at what I (maybe) realized shouldn't be there. This happened much more frequently(or I noticed it more) in my youth.
When I see a point of laser-light on something, I see it as if it is... multifaceted, made up of tiny, separate reflections.
I have asked others if they saw this same phenomenon, and always got quizzical looks and negative answers, even after explaining what I was currently seeing.
I still see it. It's mesmerizing. Anyone else?
Wow... I took this one for granted! I noticed also, when I was younger, sitting on the potty while looking at the checkered bathroom floor. I would see this raining sideways particle storm. Also while walking on sidewalks, seeing a perpetual motion of a waterfall like form; as moving cement towards the lined partitions. I thought it happened cause my mind fell in a focused trance. Funny I never spoke about it...

Isn't it just floaters?

Floater is a often associated with it but its a bit different.
You can find it on google but ill try to explain.

Its like looking at an old tv screen , you have little dots all around your vision , but this isnt floaters, you have floaters at the same time but it isnt the same .
You have also sometimes lines around objects.
After images even when its not very in a strong lighthing , for instance in my flat I have a floor tile and if I look at it a few sec I will have lines in my vision for a sec if I move my head.

You can also have some "waves" in your viison sometimes, it happens for me but its rare to be honest, its like a circle that its closing itself from the outside to the middle of your vision and to me this is synchronized with my pulse when it happens.

Its never ending,;but its easier to notice when you close your eyes, when you look at the sky, or when you look at walls/ in lower light settings.

I forgot to put a survey with the topic :(

Last edited:
Floater is a often associated with it but its a bit different.
You can find it on google but ill try to explain.

Its like looking at an old tv screen , you have little dots all around your vision , but this isnt floaters, you have floaters at the same time but it isnt the same .
You have also sometimes lines around objects.
After images even when its not very in a strong lighthing , for instance in my flat I have a floor tile and if I look at it a few sec I will have lines in my vision for a sec if I move my head.

You can also have some "waves" in your viison sometimes, it happens for me but its rare to be honest, its like a circle that its closing itself from the outside to the middle of your vision and to me this is synchronized with my pulse when it happens.

Its never ending,;but its easier to notice when you close your eyes, when you look at the sky, or when you look at walls/ in lower light settings.

I forgot to put a survey with the topic :(

Can't you add surveys after?
I think so.

That's interesting.

I am sometimes aware of my vision changing with my pulse.
Trying to think.
I don't think I get it.

Now you've made me think of starting through a bright window,closing my eyes and still seeing the image of the window.
I know that's very different.

I started getting the visual snow very strongly around age 10.
When I was taken to the eye doctor and told him about it he had no idea what I was talking about.
I also had the strong after images and sometimes things looked ' squiggley' is best I can describe it.
I also see very well in the dark, as things never look all that dark. I see a bluish tint around things
in the dark so I can still see much better than most.
It would have to be absolute dark, like in a cave with no light to see nothing.
Have seen the snow in this total darkness.

The snow happens only occasionally now. But the other things I still have.
I know what floaters are like and have those, but, it is certainly different to the visual snow.
Floaters show mostly when looking at white, because they are transparent circles or stringy looking
surrounded by a fine line. They move when you blink or move your eyes around.

I just looked at some simulation videos of this and no, I don't have this now, but I think I had it as a child, I remember seeing something like that and for some reason associating it with death. Edit: not sure if that was visual snow at all. It was kind of like my vision narrowing to a band.

Sometimes my vision is kind of grainy, but it doesn't move, I don't think it's the same thing.

Some patterns squiggle and squirm about, again, not the same thing.

Last edited:
Holy Mackerel!
After reading everyone's posts...
I see lots of these things!
And another:
When looking at a large object, I often see a "warp-line", a line, very close to the object, where light appears to be affected by the object's mass, and takes a plunge toward it's surface; akin to the "heat-line" that shimmers above a road, but much, much thinner, and without the "shimmery", just the steady, unwavering "warp". I have analyzed this phenomenon for YEARS! It has always been a source of wonder, to me, that no-one had documented this phenomenon, or "illusion", yet.
I also sometimes see an infinitesimal black outline to things as well.
I should also mention that I am red-green color-blind, but my mind has become very adept at sampling surrounding colors, and filling in the red or green areas--- it's not always right, (~98-99%)--- and when it is wrong, and someone tells me it's true color, the new color "washes through it" and replaces the mistaken color I had been "seeing". I "see" camouflage with about the same(98-99%) success rate--- it just doesn't work on me.(This has been verified, much to the surprise of the "control group", on more occasions than I can count.)
Ohmigosh--- I need to examine so much more, stuff I've taken for granted, or thought that everyone else saw, too!
Edit:
Holy Crap! I see it every time I close my eyes!
"I'm freakin' meowt, man!"
@Iamnotarabot - I have also seen the "waves", and the "clear, closing circle" pulsing with my heartbeat, as well!

Last edited:
That's a lot of response^^'

Pls don't get to focus on that or anything, iv read online that some people get anxious when they notice that I hope I didnt ruin someone 's day :s

That's a lot of response^^'

Pls don't get to focus on that or anything, iv read online that some people get anxious when they notice that I hope I didnt ruin someone 's day :s
Not at ALL my friend! This is amazing!
I've kind of known that I saw psychedelic stuff just never really examined any but a few with depth or persistence.
I'm stunned, thrilled, and more than a little chagrined--- nobody can see/do these psychedelics with me!
"What a long, strange (s)trip it's been!"
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I get floaters in my field of vision when I am tired, but I think that is due to having old eyes. I do not ever remember "visual snow".

Wow! I had forgotten all about this. When I was a child, I remember looking into my room at night and seeing what was like television static juxtaposed over a 3-dimensional world. I said I could “see the dark”. I thought I was the only one.

I get the television static, and the shimmering borders round objects - I thought that was something that everyone got?

Define this, as I've no idea what you're getting at here. When I close my eyes or when in dark spaces, I do see some faint static. No floaters in my field of view, so I'm not concerned about it at all.

If you think this is a cause for concern, try this on for size: I get quick flashes of light accompanied by twitching (only while my eyes are closed) before sleep. If someone with medical expertise can figure that one out, I'd be curious to know.

I've got one:

Typically if I'm in a pitch-black place, or more often in bed with my eyes closed, I'll see shifting/warping/pulsing blobs, throughout my entire field of vision.

The most striking feature of this is not that they are there, not that they're shifting all over, but instead it's the fact that I have no idea what color they are. I'm not sure how to describe it. They do have a color, but it's like some sort of gibberish color that cant be processed. And it's not like the things are hard to spot or anything, they'll be right at the center of vision even and I still cant grasp that aspect.

And no, I'm not colorblind at all.

I always thought this was normal... like a side effect of the brain not currently having any visual stimulus to process, so it just does whatever.

Define this, as I've no idea what you're getting at here. When I close my eyes or when in dark spaces, I do see some faint static. No floaters in my field of view, so I'm not concerned about it at all.

If you think this is a cause for concern, try this on for size: I get quick flashes of light accompanied by twitching (only while my eyes are closed) before sleep. If someone with medical expertise can figure that one out, I'd be curious to know.

When I was 9 years old, the brightness
in the dark, when I was in bed, and my
eyes were shut, was so bright that I had
to open my eyes.

And go to the special eye doctor eventually.
Because all the bright colorfulness I was
seeing meant that I was becoming very
near sighted, very fast.

I had forgotten about having this quite markedly in my teens until seeing this thread.
I guess it never really left. It is no bother through the day, but, laying in bed staring at the dark
ceiling a few nights ago, I realized I still have it.
It's more of a mixed golden/black/whitish grainy looking appearance now, like it's in the air of the dark room.
There are two different types: Pulse and Broadband.
Mine has always been broadband.
To think I had stopped even noticing it at night until being reminded here.

A quote from an article on it as to what doctors think causes it:

Visual Snow

Doctors do not know what causes visual snow, but many believe that thalamocortical dysrhythmia is a significant contributor. Thalamocortical dysrhythmia is a disruption of neural activity between the thalamus and other areas of the brain’s cortex.

https://www.axonoptics.com/2017/03/visual-snow-guide/

I like the above article on the subject. Very thorough.
There are ads on it for glasses, but, the article is good.
Next question would be do people on the spectrum have it more than NTs?
That would be a good research for doctors since ASD is considered to be neurological.

New Threads

Top Bottom