• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Visual phobia

Joon87

I think this topic has possibly been covered, but I am new, so am unsure!
I wondered if others have issues with inconsistent images, shapes etc. For example, if there are many holes in something, or lots of bumps (certain knitwear even) I used to feel uncomfortable and couldn't look at it. As a child, I used to be sick when I saw fluff and a certain knitwear jumper that my Dad wore! My family found it amusing, I suppose because it was a very dramatic reaction!
I even started to dislike people who wore knitwear, probably because I didn't understand that it wasn't a personal attack at me :p This sounds very strange, but I am curious as to whether others have any similar phobias? It stopped affecting me as much as I got older, I actually like knitwear now! Yet, I can still feel strange if something isn't visually consistent! It's hard to explain exactly what I mean :/ This also counts for certain textures. I am aware that it is a sensory issue, but I never met anybody who could relate, so I was wondering if this is something other can relate to?

Sorry, I thought there must have been! But I am sure many topics are brought up more than once anyway, or people would run out of things to say.

The reason I linked the thread was because you wanted to know
if other people had a concern like that. I thought you would be
interested to know that at least one other person had mentioned it.

Thank you. I think you misunderstood me... :/ I get a bit nervous posting or seeming repetitive.
I sometimes word things in the wrong way. I hope I didn't seem rude. It just takes courage for me to post, even online where nobody knows me!
I am just very curious about it, and didn't even know it had a name! I am a bit behind in knowledge with these things.

Last edited:
Not really, but it really bugs me if something is not straight like a picture on a wall or not symmetrical, like a stranged shaped milk carton... but it's not a phobia but a preference: if I don't like the shape or a carton of milk, I simply don't buy that brand. If I don't like the shape of a mug or glass, I don't use it.

Buttons or snaps on clothing. Ick ugh yuck blegh. Just... nope. Nope!

I've always utterly refused to wear anything that has either. Frankly I cant even look at the horrid things. No, I dont know why. Doesnt matter why.

You couldnt freaking pay me to put on a pair of jeans. Though my parents tried a few times, way back when. Enough spastic freakouts and this quickly ceased.

@Joon87
"I am just very curious about it, and didn't even know it had a name!
"

I remembered someone mentioning the word, which at the time was new to me.

Trypophobia Driven by Disgust Not Fear of Holes
"Trypophobia, commonly known as "fear of holes," is linked to a physiological response more associated with disgust than fear, finds a new study published in PeerJ."

Implicit Trypophobia Measure: Trypophobia Test
A non-professional instrument developed in the attempt to measure a person's
degree of aversion to objects with holes.

Trypophobia: What Do We Know So Far? A Case Report and Comprehensive Review of the Literature
A case study

Trypophobia: The Fear Of Holes Driven By The Internet – And Mathematics
Article which discusses the idea that trypophobia has been popularized.

@Joon87
"I am just very curious about it, and didn't even know it had a name!"

I remembered someone mentioning the word, which at the time was new to me.

Trypophobia Driven by Disgust Not Fear of Holes
"Trypophobia, commonly known as "fear of holes," is linked to a physiological response more associated with disgust than fear, finds a new study published in PeerJ."

Implicit Trypophobia Measure: Trypophobia Test
A non-professional instrument developed in the attempt to measure a person's
degree of aversion to objects with holes.

Trypophobia: What Do We Know So Far? A Case Report and Comprehensive Review of the Literature
A case study

Trypophobia: The Fear Of Holes Driven By The Internet – And Mathematics
Article which discusses the idea that trypophobia has been popularized.

Thank you, this is helpful! Actually, it is more disgust than a phobia, I used the wrong word!

New Threads

Top Bottom