• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very confused on this certain phrase people have used

Julie Gross

None Of Your Business
Do other people get confused about certain phrases people use? There is this one phrase I am confused about and people seem to use it a lot with me and I don’t know why. Like I would say something and mean it a certain way and then someone would give me a response that doesn’t make sense to me. Like I will say I don’t like something and someone says well neither does everyone else and I keep hearing that from people a lot. Or I would say I want something and they would say so does everybody else and I don’t know why people say that to me. I am very confused. I can’t ask them what they mean because it’s hard for me to be verbal sometimes. I was expecting different response then that and are people being rude to me? Are people annoyed with me? I can’t tell.

My guess is that they are implying you are pointing out the obvious.

For example, if I say, "I don't like when we have to work overtime," someone might say, "well neither does anyone else," which is to say, "why are you complaining? None of us like it either and we're not complaining. You don't need to say out-loud that you don't like it, no one likes it."

Or something like that.

Then for the other one, if you were to say, "I want a raise," they would similarly be implying that it's pointless to say out-loud because everyone wants it and so there's no reason to say it because everyone knows that everyone wants it.

I feel like I explained badly but hopefully it made some sense. And it's harder to say since you didn't give specific examples.

As for people being rude or annoyed, I think it depends on how they say it, like if they're smiling or scowling. I don't think the words themselves necessarily mean a person is annoyed but I think it's possible to say this and be annoyed or rude.

Last edited:
My guess is that they are implying you are pointing out the obvious.

For example, if I say, "I don't like when we have to work overtime," someone might say, "well neither does anyone else," which is to say, "why are you complaining? None of us like it either and we're not complaining. You don't need to say out-loud that you don't like it, no one likes it."

Or something like that.

Then for the other one, if you were to say, "I want a raise," they would similarly be implying that it's pointless to say out-loud because everyone wants it and so there's no reason to say it because everyone knows that everyone wants it.

I feel like I explained badly but hopefully it made some sense. And it's harder to say since you didn't give specific examples.

As for people being rude or annoyed, I think it depends on how they say it, like if they're smiling or scowling. I don't think the words themselves necessarily mean a person is annoyed but I think it's possible to say this and be annoyed or rude.
I think you explained it, perfectly!

I have had this said to me a few times, regarding aspergers and I think it is due to having a misconception regarding autism.

If we had a physical disability, one would say that, as a way of comfort, whereas for us, it is actually to say: stop thinking you are so special. Anyway, that is how I interpret it.

I've got three magically kind friends in person and one online! :D Four is a giant number when you're counting magically kind friends! :eek:
I concur, and I have the same stats. You happen to be one of mine, if you don't mind me saying! :cherryblossom::herb: There really should be a duck emoji.

I just like sharing feelings about things I like or want.
It's hard to tell if someone replies with this type of answer if they are being sarcastic or it's a
wow, yeh, everyone wants that.
Depends on what you are saying this about and need to hear tone of their reply and facial expressions.
I wouldn't take it as rude unless they sounded rude or looked smirky.

I hear phrases or use of certain words that I don't get sometimes too.
One I have been hearing a lot lately on TV and commercials is Transparency.
All of a sudden that word is everywhere. "Transparency and trust. That's our way."
I don't get it. Sounds like they are talking about clear glass to me! o_O

One I have been hearing a lot lately on TV and commercials is Transparency.
All of a sudden that word is everywhere. "Transparency and trust. That's our way."
I don't get it. Sounds like they are talking about clear glass to me! o_O

Transparency-
Tracing paper or those acetate sheets for an old school over head projector

I dislike phrases like this, because it is making light or invalidating my feelings over an issue. What does it matter whether everyone else also doesn't like it? Does that mean that I can't dislike it too, or shouldn't have that opinion? How I feel about something is not dependent on what other people might feel about it. And it's usually not true... most people might not want to work overtime, but there might be some who do, because they need to extra money. Generalisations like this are rarely true.

There are also phrases used as a habit or automatic response that change with time and by geography.
In one place I lived I would get the response, “No shxx Sherlock”. Not once a day, but almost every time I said something....
Then there was the decade of, “You can’t win for losing”, which even to this day I don’t understand what it means.
If someone said to me they would like a raise I would agree and then would enjoy figuring out how much more our take home pay would be for different percentages of raise. When the response is Who doesn’t, then it just ends the conversation instead of the beginning of some pleasant thoughts.
I’m not sure NTs are that great at conversations. But they do seem to have a lot of friends, so.....I guess you can’t win for losing! I’m assuming that was the right time to say that!

Confused where do I start. I think that is the reason why I can't keep friends either.
  • "You Guys" did a post on this I just don't get why you would say that if the group is all girls or mixed genders.
  • "Best Friend" again I don't find anything the best there is always something better.
  • "Bestie" not even a real word. Again something is always better.
  • "Forever" again nothing is forever.
  • "Falling in Love" where are you falling too. I am falling down a cliff to my death. Stupid saying seems like I am falling in love to die.

I agree Tony. How about soul-mate!? What is that? A soul is so individual so a mate to that, like socks? Lol
Give me a break.

New Threads

Top Bottom