• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very annoying and distressing and weird.

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I watch Korean dramas and a strange thing is happening. Each time someone's situation changes and either they have no where to live or just been thrown out and looking around bewildered, I can feel a panic inside of me and yet, I know it is just acting, but it brings all my agoraphobia to the fore front and stops me enjoying watching.

I hate the idea of not knowing what the next move is, in my life and can hyperventilate if I feel threatened.

There are certain types of movies and music that I avoid because the feelings it leaves me with.

And allow severe lonliness to enter. Mmm for me, the best of both evils, is watching still lol
There are quite a few other viewing choices that are neither Korean, nor dramas. How did you get stuck on this one limited genre?

I agree with Pats, there are certain types of films I refuse to watch because I know they bring on discomfort. It's an easy decision.

How did you get stuck on this one limited genre?

I look at different genre from Korean dramas. I believe that since I have never been a tv watcher anyway, I would get the same from other dramas and books if I was reading.

I can't watch movies about animals, if they get hurt. When i watch a movie for the first time I am alert for any hint of animal abuse and will just stop watching it.
Even Shark Week when they start their anti shark fin soup thing, i turn it off.
If something is distressing, don't do it.

This almost sounds like a manifestation of "vicarious/secondary trauma" The result of being continually exposed to certain types of media events that can be emotionally toxic for some. Though this is a condition more commonly prone to those working as medical professionals and first responders.

However I suppose it could happen to most anyone under the right circumstances and repetition of events. For people who watch quite a lot of varied types of television I could see how all this could easily be dismissed. Yet for someone whose television viewing is incredibly narrow even by choice, maybe not.

Especially if it involves an agoraphobic lifestyle watching continuous forms of tragedy in a single genre even for fictional characters. Perhaps where you may find it easier to express your own empathy given that these are not real people. Seems like you are being caught in a "vicious circle" of sorts. Just understand that having difficulties with empathy doesn't inherently mean you lack empathy.

Yeah- stop watching. One's "personal brand of heroin" may not be heroin at all, but rather something else equally harmful. Unlike a job involving trauma, you can easily opt out from watching what is making you so uncomfortable. Find another form of entertainment that doesn't tug so hard at your heartstrings.

Last edited:
When I get too emotionally involved, I have to deliberately detach myself from some shows.

I will tell myself that it's just a show, that this person doesn't exist, that this never actually happened.

Sometimes, I focus on looking behind the curtain - wondering how the actor was able to deliver that performance, what it must have been like for them to stage that event, how they chose that music for this scene, etc.

I have nightmares if I watch those true crime/detective shows late at night and fall asleep while they are playing. I think I subconsciously incorporate the violence into my dreams. I've stopped watching them late at night for that reason.

I can't watch movies about animals, if they get hurt. When i watch a movie for the first time I am alert for any hint of animal abuse and will just stop watching it.
Even Shark Week when they start their anti shark fin soup thing, i turn it off.
If something is distressing, don't do it.

I recently started getting into Animal Planet 2. But my god, when it shows one cute animal hunting another cute animal I get anxiety. I still want to watch it though because they did a great job with filming and a lot of it is really nice, cute, and informative. But those hunting parts and seeing animals fight makes it difficult sometimes.

Like when those snakes were hunting that baby iguana that was running for its life :(
And also one other animal that it actually showed is bloody after it was attacked, but still survived.

Also, if the ending is unsatisfactory or disturbing enough, I will lie in bed that night and make up my own ending.

Generally, though, I've learned to avoid any content that is disturbing to me - anything that is going to demand to be processed and analyzed when I try to go to sleep at night.

Even in the good movies, I'll get choked up over emotional scenes and my wife will turn to me and ask if I'm going to be okay. My daughter has picked up on it, too. She'll look at me and ask, "Are you crying?" I can't even hide it at that point, and I'll just say yes. Sometimes, though, I'll try to deflect it with humor and say, "I'm not cryin'! I'm sweatin' through my eyeballs!" (A quote from the bully, Buford, in Phineas and Ferb. I'll say it in his voice.)

For me it was true crime, in particular. There was a show where victims narrated their experiences. I couldn't be alone at night after that. When i stopped watching altogether, the fears also stopped, though not for a few weeks. Some things we cant control, and the negative effects of those suck. But tv shows that leave negative effects can be controlled by not watching. You can still watch, of course, as can i for the ones that keep me up at night. But then the consequences become a conscious choice.

I've never enjoyed watching TV or movies... ever. It might be the most immediately "weird" thing about me in social situations. ;) The only things I can actually enjoy watching are documentaries and sometimes cartoons.

I think it is because I find it too overwhelming.

I watch Korean dramas and a strange thing is happening. Each time someone's situation changes and either they have no where to live or just been thrown out and looking around bewildered, I can feel a panic inside of me and yet, I know it is just acting, but it brings all my agoraphobia to the fore front and stops me enjoying watching.

I hate the idea of not knowing what the next move is, in my life and can hyperventilate if I feel threatened.
I am not an aspie (my son is) but if i am feeling a little bit stressed I prefer a comedy to watch because it lifts my spirits some ...where as a drama or a fast paced killing or sad movie etc.. tends to make me more stressed.

Sometimes, I prefer watching more heart-warming stories. Depends on mood.
If you know any heart-warming Korean dramas, maybe you can watch those..

Dramas always have "drama", depressing stuff but then they will rise back & be better. But Korean dramas have too many episodes to wait for that good moments..

So maybe Japanese drama is better? They usually only have 8 episodes (1 hour per episode), so you can get to the conclusion & happy ending. Japanese dramas also always have moral values; so usually they are much more beneficial than other dramas (depends on titles, genre etc too).

I have nightmares if I watch those true crime/detective shows late at night and fall asleep while they are playing. I think I subconsciously incorporate the violence into my dreams. I've stopped watching them late at night for that reason.

I watch them sometimes. I find the narrator voice both familiar and soothing and it helps me sleep.

New Threads

Top Bottom