• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Verbal IQ

Hazel87

Why is it that most people on the spectrum seem to struggle with verbal IQ and communication, delays in speaking, etc etc but then there is the 'subsection' for lack of a better term, of people on the spectrum (aspergers) who tend to have high verbal IQs, use sophisticated language early, etc and that apparently it's common for there to be uneven scores in IQ testing. For example, I score well into the gifted range in verbal IQ, I had no delay in speech that I'm aware of, reading, writing has always been second nature to me, it's my primary mode of expression (I suck at spoken word haha) but my scores in numerical reasoning, mathematics score basically into the "retarded" range. I'm not one of those aspies like Bill Gates who can understand technical stuff. I look at math and it's like trying to decode a language I don't speak and I've never been able to get past very basic math and really only with even numbers. Yet I've been able to understand, apply, analyse etc complex concepts, theories, philosophies since I was very young. My understanding is that this isn't uncommon in aspergers but is for the rest of the spectrum? True?

Why? Does anyone have any answers or theories? I feel that neurodiversity is way too complex to box it up into even a wide spectrum the way ASD has been and I think that sometimes hinders our ability to fully understand it. My niece is 25 (my sister and my mom were pregnant around the same time, so were all close in age haha) and she and I are VERY similar. Severe behavioral problems since early childhood, lots of labels, intellectually ahead of our peers in a lot of ways, etc but just struggled to be in this neurotypical society so hard. We both still do, although I think I'm a little better at 'passing' in appearance than her. She doesn't have the issues with math that I do, I suspect she would score well into the gifted range on an IQ test. She's more visual and language like I am, but no math issues. BUT, she doesn't have the issues with socializing like I do. I remember when we were young and we would party and I was down to do so with just her, maybe one other person max, I love to 'party' but only with certain people that I know very, very well... but she was always wanting to hang out with groups and had a lot of diverse friends. Me, I really only connect with certain people, usually we need to share some common primary interest otherwise I can't get past a surface level relationship. So, I don't think she would be classified as aspergers or on the spectrum, at least not by a professional. I do think she has traits though and that there are people with a lot of the traits who are clearly not neurotypical but don't quite fit into the box of the autism spectrum.

This is a whole other topic though, haha but I guess my main questions are, why? Is there any known reason for why aspergers on the spectrum differ slightly from the rest on the spectrum? Also, do you think that there are possibly more people on the spectrum who go under the radar, are misdiagnosed, etc because they don't present some of the key indicators of autism but present a plethora of others?

Motoric control and processing power.

I don't know about all mutism, but at least some of it is the inability to make your mouth parts speak, not the inability to think or form words in your head.

Sometimes, the brain is already busy processing so much information it just has to queue any new input. This is especially true for hypersensitive people – and you really only need one hypersensitivity to be overloaded quicker than people wihout.

I can't say anything for sure about childhood experiences, but I have heard that (probably neurotypical) children who get no real interaction with adults (or other children), never learn to care about social interaction or other people.

It's probably mostly genetic, but exactly which parts are and which are not I don't know.

Good question, scientifically speaking. While not intended as an analogy, in the neurological sense this sort of thing reminds me of country music singer Mel Tillis. A man who sings beautifully, but speaks with a pronounced stutter.

In essence, communication skills can at times be both complex and quite compartmentalized neurologically speaking. Leaving some of us with a somewhat impaired ability to speak directly to another person no matter how good an intellect or our ability to communicate in other non-verbal ways may actually be.

Speech-Language Pathology/Stuttering/Famous People Who Stutter/Singers and Actors - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Good question, scientifically speaking. While not intended as an analogy, in the neurological sense this sort of thing reminds me of country music singer Mel Tillis. A man who sings beautifully, but speaks with a pronounced stutter.

In essence, communication skills can at times be both complex and quite compartmentalized neurologically speaking. Leaving some of us with a somewhat impaired ability to speak directly to another person no matter how good an intellect or our ability to communicate in other non-verbal ways may actually be.

That reminds me: On some British show they did a story on an autistic man who didn't speak at all, but who sang beautifully. He may have been on some talent show.

His father marvelled at the fact that his son could read, and could not imagine where he had picked it up. Guess they never watch anything with subtitles in his house.

That reminds me: On some British show they did a story on an autistic man who didn't speak at all, but who sang beautifully. He may have been on some talent show.

His father marvelled at the fact that his son could read, and could not imagine where he had picked it up. Guess they never watch anything with subtitles in his house.

Reminds me of the first time Simon Cowell skeptically interacted with Aspie vocalist Susan Boyle. And how he lit up when she began to sing.

Why this cluster of symptoms vs. that cluster? Why verbal ability with no math, or math with no verbal?

The answer is that no one really knows, the closest we are, at the moment, is knowing that certain regions of the brain are the centers of activity (i.e. such and such region is the verbal center). The latest studies have shown that the brain is not as compartmentalized as previously thought, throwing about 100 years of assumptions out the window. When you add in the impacts of early development exposures, it is simply too complex a puzzle to give a definitive answer.

Sorry. :(

Reminds me of the first time Simon Cowell skeptically interacted with Aspie vocalist Susan Boyle. And how he lit up when she began to sing.

Simon at least should have known better since Kurt Nilsen. What's with allistics and appearance? I don't think any of them were particularly ugly. Maybe it's just me.

That video "you're not bad at math..." is mildly offense. Starting with the title. The content, while GENERALLY correct (practice and you will get better), is wrong and wrong headed on a number of levels.

Don't think so, compare it to similar arguments made in these contexts:
"You're not poor, you're just lazy"
"You're not bad at [sport], you're just lazy"
"You're not sick/disabled/depressed/[etc], you're just lazy."

That video "you're not bad at math..." is mildly offense. Starting with the title. The content, while GENERALLY correct (practice and you will get better), is wrong and wrong headed on a number of levels.

Sure… you could compare it to that, but I don't see why anyone would take those comparisons seriously. The video is not addressing dyscalculics, but it is talking specifically about math. The title could be better worded. I think it's just to catch attention.

Simon at least should have known better since Kurt Nilsen. What's with allistics and appearance? I don't think any of them were particularly ugly. Maybe it's just me.

If you're referring to Simon Cowell, he's the sole reason why I refrained from watching "American Idol" for all those years he was on the show. Once he left, I was fine with watching. ;)

I can't stand the man on any level or circumstances.

Last edited:

Agreed... it's like telling a non-verbal autistic or someone with dyslexia that if they just tried a little harder they could talk or write well. I definitely have a learning disability in math, a severe one. I tried very hard as a child and even in adulthood to learn math and I studied hard, got a lot of help, I really wanted to become a veterinarian because I excel in everything else but would of course need math to get into vet school and still my math skills are the same. It's like looking at hieroglyphics and trying to make meaning, patterns and sense of them, I'm not lazy, my brain just cannot process numbers and have very, very low numerical reasoning. It took me a while but I've finally come to terms with that and now realize I'm just not made for math and that's okay with me, haha.

Weirdly enough my verbal IQ is my greatest strength. It's 140, which my psychologist said is one of the highest he's seen. I'm really proud of my verbal ability, I consider it my "aspie superpower". My nicknames in high school were "encyclopedia" and "dictionary" because of my ability to remember trivia knowledge and spell pretty much any word I hear or see correctly.
HOWEVER.... My IQ when it comes to working memory, processing speed, and logical reasoning are all very low (in the low to mid 80's). I also have extreme difficulty grasping mathematical concepts, doing math in my head, and, strangely, understanding computer programming languages.
My "full-scale" IQ was 100 (average) when I took the Wechsler IQ test at my psychologist's office, but I've scored as high as 129 on other online IQ tests.
I think the problem may have been that the test at the psychologist's office was timed, and was administered by a person who was watching me the entire time. Being watched and knowing I am timed causes me to fail almost invariably at any task because it makes me extremely uncomfortable and interferes with my concentration. If it had been a written test instead of an interactive test with another person I suspect I could have done better.

New Threads

Top Bottom