• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Venting a little bit about work...

bchamp

I love my job, funny because I'd never see myself working retail, and customer service.. especially.. Which I'm doing. Well, I'm in a new position(sort of) at work. From cashier to working our self check out. Love it, actually. I'm impressed with myself, and feel as if I fit in really well... I've made my fair share of mistakes.. though which I feel like crap for, but I'm trying to treat them as a learning experience.

Such as... Attempting to provide service to a customer.. I realized soon after they left that I messed up and they walked off without paying at all(wasn't a huge order but still!), nervous over answering customer service calls later in the day. Didn't think to hand the call over to the correct department to give her the correct information.. Instead I told her what I thought was true.. Felt wrong shortly after.

Kinda sucked today though, we have a today of 12 self check out machines with only two of us running it at a time. Guess what happens when someone goes on break? One has to run it for a good 30 minutes by themselves, most of the time at least. Today was bad, just overwhelmingly bad. The machines are super sensitive and will lock up easily requiring an attendant to come to your machine and let you finish. Simple procedure but if someone is requiring a rain check and you have to scramble to find one(when you are out) so you have to call for a supervisor to get more for you... and all these people are dependent on you to leave.. It can really get to you haha.

Then you must find out why they need one, find out the advertised price, and so forth so you can finish them up, and everyone else there. Then you have those who just don't believe you... I mean.. I love knowing state laws, and store policies just for my knowledge. Makes me feel good! Today... this got to my nerves a little bit. A younger looking couple came in to buy alcohol, one had an id, the other did not. I was forced to deny them both alcohol, and told that it is state law requiring both of them to have an ID regardless of who is purchasing. I had to call a manager just to tell them the SAME EXACT THING, and they were still mad at ME... I laughed it off but still. Came back with their ids just to tell me with a sarcastic volume "thank you for being an outstanding member of society". Irritating nonetheless.

I just need to get a tiny bit out of my system, I still love the position but working a more customer service like position does have it's negatives... A lot of them, but it's kinda fun, and enjoy the extra responsibility it gives me.

You sound like you are doing great, even though it's stressful at times. Yes I recall working in a library on the front desk was a job I enjoyed despite the social nature of it. I did have to dial back my Helpfulness a tad, and get quicker gradually. Yes also the Taking too much initiative sometimes. But overall a job I remember with pleasure. Hope you continue to like yours and feel confident as you gain experience :)

Well I've done customer service most of my adult life, OK it's been mostly Charity shops but it still counts, they're a shop, they have customers which I served on the till, only reason I was forced to quit my last job last April was because I decided I could no longer work with the old guy who called me a "Deaf C word" that time, I can't help being deaf!

New Threads

Top Bottom