• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Van Dweller

SimonSays

Van Dweller
V.I.P Member
When my first marriage ended I went to live in a van...

At first, not only had my long-term relationship just ended, but I had to learn how to live in a van, and that was a steep learning curve in itself. I had to make it my 'special interest', when all I wanted to do was let go of the world and grieve for my loss. The challenge was to create routine and simplicity as quickly as possible, so that I could let go of having to think about how to live like this, and just live like this, in the present, focusing on what mattered, reflecting on the past, almost feeling like I'd been born again and was learning how to live in a whole new world.

I met a few seasoned van dwellers, who offered advice, which helped, even though I wasn't doing it like them. Once I found somewhere I could park and not have to move it unless I chose to, I would walk into town to pick up provisions, as I like to walk everywhere, loved the feeling of knowing I had a private safe space to return to that was my own, and go deeply into everything.

I did that and wrote about it and cried when necessary, then turned my attention to the teachings that I felt connected to; Eckhart Tolle being the main one, and retreated daily, for hours at a time, and I was helped by having a good supply of cannabis. A plant I had grown myself (well, two small ones to be precise) in pots under lights in the loft.

I felt almost obsessed and would go up and sit with them every day. That space became a meditation space where I would feel at peace, connect with their spirit, look at them, care about them, because I knew that at some point they would gift me with some flowers.

When they did, I felt so grateful for having achieved what I’d set out to do, because before, it required me to acquire that plant in a shady and dodgy way which I always found difficult. While I didn't agree with it being illegal, it was, so I had to become a criminal to use a plant that helped me. I didn't mind being the criminal so much, I just didn't want to be around those who were selling it just for money. I didn't know where it had been grown, under what sort of conditions. I didn't want to use a plant as part of my spiritual practice that hadn't come from good energy.

Being able to use my own plant in that van in total isolation was exactly what I needed. Where I parked, there might be two or three van dwellers who would stay the night nearby, but most moved on, they didn't like to stay in one place too long, it was like in their freedom they kept needing to move, or were searching for something but didn't know exactly what. A feeling maybe.

I didn't have to go anywhere to find that feeling. I just wanted to be exactly where I was in the present in this moment. The van was my 21st century cave, and it wasn't big so I had to be mindful in order to not bang my head, which I still did from time to time, reminding me to be more mindful.

I had access to water from the local spring, electricity was being generated by a solar panel, so my phone and laptop were always charged. I had food that I could just eat easily without cooking, and had let go of the need for refrigeration, at least until the winter when I would use an outdoor locker as an energy-free cooler. That brought cheese and yoghurt and other things back on the menu that I'd had to let go of in the warmer weather.

When my chores were done and I was ready, I would pull the blinds down, closing off the view of the sea I had out my window, put on an ET retreat, take a small puff of cannabis, and settle down for what would be a few hours of continuous focus, only really interrupted by my need to empty my bladder, which I would do outside as I was on waste ground, or if it was pouring with rain I might even do it straight out the door! But the best way was to use a plastic fruit juice bottle, and then empty it out later. I just wanted to go straight back and carry on.

Living that life for the time I did, helped me heal in a way that I don't know I would have had I been in any other situation. The van supported me. It was my home. My companion. My cave. My place of safety and sanctuary so that I could just be myself for the first time in a way I'd never been before.

Last edited:
I enjoy the way you write. It paints a very vivid picture in my mind. I'm not keen on dealing with dealers either. As such I try to limit it as much as possible. The whole process of buying it feels shady and doing something outside of the law really piles on the guilt.

When I get my own place I'm looking to learn how to grow a plant of my own. As you suggested - talking to the plant and appreciating their life, vitality and what they will provide.

I've even started talking to my cacti. Felt a little strange at first, but I've started to enjoy it.

Ed

As you suggested - talking to the plant and appreciating their life, vitality and what they will provide.
Many people do talk to their plants. I never did, as it was a silent connection for me. I definitely felt love for the plants. I could feel their potential. They were like my plant daughters and I was raising them.

I used to carry both of them down the ladder and into the backyard whenever it was warm and sunny, just so that they could have some time outside and in natural sunlight. While they were under proper grow lights, nothing is as good as natural sunlight.

I had a variety that I started flowering when they were only 18 inches tall, so that they were no more than 4 feet fully grown. I didn't have a lot of space in the loft, and I didn't know I would be taking them into the yard until the idea came and I realised I could. To be honest I think it was the plants that gave me the idea. It was lovely sitting outside with the plants when they were close to finishing with the wonderful aroma wafting everywhere. Just going into the loft each morning I was hit with such a wonderful scent. I may have said good morning to them once or twice ;)

I see a lot of people doing van conversions and l realise what a gift they give us. Less materialism, less need for space and resources. There should be van parks in America. Where people pay xamount monthly and follow rules and receive electrical outlets, working restrooms, and showers. Maybe a small grocery store. This would help out a certain class of people who don't want shelters, abusive spouses, whatever.

Thanks for sharing this and making me think about a van park. One step more would be postboxes for people to get mail and have a address. It reminds of seeing the gypsy carvans in England.

Guys have it made. They can tinkle anywhere. Lol

When my first marriage ended I went to live in a van...

At first, not only had my long-term relationship just ended, but I had to learn how to live in a van, and that was a steep learning curve in itself. I had to make it my 'special interest', when all I wanted to do was let go of the world and grieve for my loss. The challenge was to create routine and simplicity as quickly as possible, so that I could let go of having to think about how to live like this, and just live like this, in the present, focusing on what mattered, reflecting on the past, almost feeling like I'd been born again and was learning how to live in a whole new world.

I met a few seasoned van dwellers, who offered advice, which helped, even though I wasn't doing it like them. Once I found somewhere I could park and not have to move it unless I chose to, I would walk into town to pick up provisions, as I like to walk everywhere, loved the feeling of knowing I had a private safe space to return to that was my own, and go deeply into everything.

I did that and wrote about it and cried when necessary, then turned my attention to the teachings that I felt connected to; Eckhart Tolle being the main one, and retreated daily, for hours at a time, and I was helped by having a good supply of cannabis. A plant I had grown myself (well, two small ones to be precise) in pots under lights in the loft.

I felt almost obsessed and would go up and sit with them every day. That space became a meditation space where I would feel at peace, connect with their spirit, look at them, care about them, because I knew that at some point they would gift me with some flowers.

When they did, I felt so grateful for having achieved what I’d set out to do, because before, it required me to acquire that plant in a shady and dodgy way which I always found difficult. While I didn't agree with it being illegal, it was, so I had to become a criminal to use a plant that helped me. I didn't mind being the criminal so much, I just didn't want to be around those who were selling it just for money. I didn't know where it had been grown, under what sort of conditions. I didn't want to use a plant as part of my spiritual practice that hadn't come from good energy.

Being able to use my own plant in that van in total isolation was exactly what I needed. Where I parked, there might be two or three van dwellers who would stay the night nearby, but most moved on, they didn't like to stay in one place too long, it was like in their freedom they kept needing to move, or were searching for something but didn't know exactly what. A feeling maybe.

I didn't have to go anywhere to find that feeling. I just wanted to be exactly where I was in the present in this moment. The van was my 21st century cave, and it wasn't big so I had to be mindful in order to not bang my head, which I still did from time to time, reminding me to be more mindful.

I had access to water from the local spring, electricity was being generated by a solar panel, so my phone and laptop were always charged. I had food that I could just eat easily without cooking, and had let go of the need for refrigeration, at least until the winter when I would use an outdoor locker as an energy-free cooler. That brought cheese and yoghurt and other things back on the menu that I'd had to let go of in the warmer weather.

When my chores were done and I was ready, I would pull the blinds down, closing off the view of the sea I had out my window, put on an ET retreat, take a small puff of cannabis, and settle down for what would be a few hours of continuous focus, only really interrupted by my need to empty my bladder, which I would do outside as I was on waste ground, or if it was pouring with rain I might even do it straight out the door! But the best way was to use a plastic fruit juice bottle, and then empty it out later. I just wanted to go straight back and carry on.

Living that life for the time I did, helped me heal in a way that I don't know I would have had I been in any other situation. The van supported me. It was my home. My companion. My cave. My place of safety and sanctuary so that I could just be myself for the first time in a way I'd never been before.

I lived in a van back when I was young and underemployed. California has been a good place for weed. It was decriminalized in 1972 when adult possession of under an ounce became the equivalent of a traffic ticket. 45 years later we finally got around to legalizing it. Amazing how a small but determined minority can bottle up legislation and defeat initiatives favored by a majority of Californians. I never had enough money to buy much and I tended to discard my clothing when I did, so it was rarely a social thing.

Many employers still do pre-hire urine testing for drugs but if you can't stay off the weed for a few weeks for it to clear out, you have a problem. Once hired, most places would never do a retest.

In and of itself I never found living in my van (A rust bucket 1980 Chevy with a carpeted interior and a 350 4 bbl carb.) to be limiting. I got to go wherever I wanted whenever I wanted and all I needed was gas money. I knew the owner of a wargaming shop and I got to park behand it at night if I wanted. Even had sex back there a couple of times.

There is a whole culture out there in the states called "nomads" who just travel around from place to place. Costs far less than rent or a mortgage. They made a very decent movie about it.

Last edited:
@Suzette Those things are wonderful. I bought two from Amazon.

I've been thinking about the Nomad van life for quite some time.
Going through some health problems currently, but, maybe someday. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom