• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

savi83

Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about social media a lot recently and was wondering if and how you use it?

Most of the people I know add people that they have just met, people that they shared a class with at school (but never spoke to), their colleagues and bosses.

I'm quite a private person so don't understand why people want to share their most personal thoughts and moments with people they hardly know.

I'm on a couple of forums if you class that as social media but avoid Facebook, etc.

I just have Facebook and I use it as a means for family and people to get in touch, and to keep up with new music releases, but that's all. I don't have much personal information. You can use it how you want, share as much or as little as you want, or not at all if you prefer. There is no set 'way' to use it, there are no obligations once you create a profile.

I just have Facebook and I use it as a means for family and people to get in touch, and to keep up with new music releases, but that's all. I don't have much personal information. You can use it how you want, share as much or as little as you want, or not at all if you prefer. There is no set 'way' to use it, there are no obligations once you create a profile.

Pink floyd anniversary today, isnt it?

Pink floyd anniversary today, isnt it?

My mind just hit another brick in your weird wall.... : )

Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about social media a lot recently and was wondering if and how you use it?

Most of the people I know add people that they have just met, people that they shared a class with at school (but never spoke to), their colleagues and bosses.

I'm quite a private person so don't understand why people want to share their most personal thoughts and moments with people they hardly know.

I'm on a couple of forums if you class that as social media but avoid Facebook, etc.

This site is as close as I get to "social" media... I don't get most peoples kind of "social."
This site is for a specific situation with specific sort of like minded people...

I care nothing for the other stuff. I see that other stuff poisoning too many people, and they are addicted to having to one up each other in many cases... or they have to be in everyones business...
Hell I cant seem to take care of my own sometimes... I certainly don't want to dabble in someone else's.

I would rather lay my issues out with people who understand (at least part of me) and let them do the same... Whole different world. Whole different reason to interact, and many times we DO help each other through some tough stuff... That is GOOD social media to me, otherwise that other stuff is mind poop : )

Actually, the one or two that I know personally, I only use whatsapp to communicate, when not seeing face to face.

To others I know in person, I do not have on facebook as friends and the reason is, because how I am offline is quite often I am not online, due to feeling more comfortable online than offline face to face and only a very few do I feel completely ok being around.

I prefer to share personal details with those who I will probably never meet in person and they are of my own sex and have known them for many years due to being on facebook and they are of my faith.

I'm here, on a few other forums and Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I enjoy social media for the most part but ? why people wish to put their personal life on full display on Facebook.

I'm here, on a few other forums and Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I enjoy social media for the most part but ? why people wish to put their personal life on full display on Facebook.

That's the main thing that puts be off social media. People post some of the craziest things for their family, friends and colleagues to see.

I use Twitter, and by use I mean that I follow things that I find relevant such as the news, local council, police, businesses, etc.

I don’t put my most personal thoughts on Facebook. I post about funny things I encounter, and mostly share comics I like. Hardly any serious business. Plus, people aren’t interested in what I’m eating, how my run went, how my day was, or how many filters I can apply to my selfie.

I only really post grumpy cat memes on social media. I gave up on people ever understanding me years ago, so I don't bother putting anything real about me on social media. However I do use to to project a persona if need be, like if I decide to be a photographer, or an author, I'll setup an intricate online profile on the right sites for as long as I need it or am interested.

I've gone on and off FB a few times. I start it up to "reconnect" with friends, usually if I'm in a prolonged period of loneliness. I'd keep it superficial; no photos of me, no personal info, etc. Just a person to contact and connect with.

But we all have "things" we get passionate and possibly obsessive about. And for me one of those things is a topic that comes up constantly in almost everyone's online activities; politics. Oh boy. I ignore it and ignore it and ignore it and then eventually I can't stand seeing what I perceive as "bad" politics coming from EVERYONE- and I snap. I go on lengthy, noble campaigns of personal political conviction; and at some point I realize I'm probably damaging my peripheral, business, and acquaintance relationships and I up and deactivate my account and go hide under a rock, hoping everyone forgets my outbursts- which is a lie. I should say hoping everyone FINALLY UNDERSTANDS HOW TO BE A DECENT HUMAN BEING WITH RESPECTABLE WORLD VIEWS. But that's just wishful (and perspective-based) thinking :p And so I've learned to stay away from it, because it's rare that I meet someone whose politics I agree with, and I seem to be one of a few that can bite my tongue and not talk about it (which, for all my social ineptitude, I at least understand that you DON'T TALK POLITICS AND RELIGION with people you don't know or who disagree with you) until it gets so ridiculous and unbelievable that I'm the one that can't hold my tongue anymore! It's a vicious cycle that I have to avoid social networking and social media to stay out of :p

New Threads

Top Bottom