• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Useful Apps for Kids with Autism?

Sasha

Hi there, I'm interested in what apps or other technologies people here are using to help their kids with autism. Do you have anything that's been helpful in your household?

Quite a few people with autism on the forum have children and grandchildren. Dad2autisticsons, Crossbreed, Aspychata, Cig114, Pats, Sabrina, in no special order and several more.

There was a canadian woman who invented an app for her brother, to help him plan and it's now being used in many places: Magnusmode - Creating a more inclusive world

Hi there, I'm interested in what apps or other technologies people here are using to help their kids with autism. Do you have anything that's been helpful in your household?

I am not a parent, but I think it depends on what the specific children with autism or an Autism Spectrum Disorder need support with, how old they are, their developmental level, and their skills and abilities.

If they need support with timetabling, or if they like the idea of a visual timetable, perhaps apps that create a visual timetable might be helpful.

If they need support with social interaction, there may be apps and games that tailor to this need.

If they need help with verbal communication, I know that Alternative and Augmentative Communication is sometimes used; or if they are learning new words, perhaps creating a list of words to practice in everyday life might be helpful.

If they need help with sensory overload or meltdowns, perhaps there are apps that one could use that help with that.

If they could do with support with learning (such as learning the alphabet, numbers, different words, spelling, sentence structure, addition, subtraction, et cetera), there may be apps and games that could help support this.

Tools to help with such issues might not necessarily need to be technology-based but could be.

Last edited:
I don't have kids, and I'm really only replying to follow this thread for a list of apps to check out, but:

Whatever generic notepad app a phone comes with is my go-to tool. Lists, notes to self, writing down specs or recipes or instructions for things I don't deal with often. I also use a physical notepad. Without a notepad in whatever form, I am much less functional. I also rely a lot on Google Maps if I have to go somewhere outside my routine.

My wife and I purchased Amazon Fire kids tablets. They have a small monthly fee, which is included for the first year, so our son has access to all kinds of apps. He can scroll through a list of apps and tap on one that looks interesting, it will download, and then he can give it a try.

We also use the LAMP app for communication.

It may seem counter intuitive, but apps can increase social interaction in some cases. He will often bring an app to us to show us something, or ask for help with an issue, or he will giggle if we repeat a phrase from an app.

I have tried a few things over the years. Currently I use Goally www.goally.co with my 8-year-old. It’s a dedicated device that helps her with routines. It’s been a game changer. I don’t yell as much and she gets to feel more responsible and independent. It took some time for her to adjust to using it but now I just say “go get Goally” and she can do her routine much more independently. Love it.

I have a blog dedicated to promoting Autism awareness and just published a post on apps for Autism. I'll leave a link to the post here: Apps for Kids with Autism. I hope this helps and best wishes!

New Threads

Top Bottom