• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

USA home to four super volcanos.

I have always been glad that I lived in southwestern Idaho. We do not have hurricanes, tornados, blizzards or other bad weather. A little snow in the winter and a few hot days in the summer. Now I hear that the whole area is going to blow up someday. It seems that I can not catch a break. Oh well, maybe we will get hit by a asteroid first.

I know my brother didn't appreciate being downwind of Mount St. Helens. :eek:

I was living in north Idaho when I was 9 and we were about 200 miles downwind of it and it turned the sky pitch back during the day. It was pitch back dark for almost 4 days. Luckily, no ash fell at that time. What was really cool about the ash blackout was that there were holes that would break in the ash cloud and you could see the rays of sunshine coming through and hitting the ground, making these shafts of light. It look like something out of a sci-fi movie.

I've read that if any supervolcano erupts, it would cause another ice age. Something we humans simply didn't/can't prepare for with all of our nuclear energy facilities everywhere. Unlike a typical ice age, one caused by a supervolcano would be swift, because it would darken the skies with an ash cloud worldwide.
I try not to think about things like this, If it does happen, it's mother nature striking back and we sort of deserve it considering all the damage we've done since the industrial age began. In my opinion.

We can always hope...

It reminds me of the account of the likely aftermath of a total nuclear war that I read in a book compiled in the early 80s by scientists in Europe (Sweden, IIRC). The entire planet would go completely black for at least a year, followed by a period of smog-like conditions that would last for at least several years. Anybody in the main blast zones (most of the northern hemisphere) who survived the initial war would die soon after from infected, untreatable burns, radiation poisoning, fast moving cancer, or the period of darkness. Humans would be limited to the area south of the southern tropic line (Tropic of Capricorn?), basically Chile, Argentina, southern Africa, Australasia, and some of Oceania. The survivors of the darkness would be thrown into a new dark age, with much of the people returning to hunter gatherers, with some limited agriculture under a feudal-like network of "latifundia", as they were called after the collapse of Rome. It would be a VERY long time before the northern hemisphere could be repopulated, possibly a thousand years or more.

I've read that if any supervolcano erupts, it would cause another ice age. Something we humans simply didn't/can't prepare for with all of our nuclear energy facilities everywhere. Unlike a typical ice age, one caused by a supervolcano would be swift, because it would darken the skies with an ash cloud worldwide.
I try not to think about things like this, If it does happen, it's mother nature striking back and we sort of deserve it considering all the damage we've done since the industrial age began. In my opinion.

On the positive side, we won't have to worry about global warming anymore! :D

The largest active volcano on the planet is Mauna Loa which starts underwater on the big island, (Hilo).

When Halemaumau was active, l flew to Hilo to visit my friend. We went to a road where the lava was glowing and the heat was so intense that you couldn't walk up to the flow but only view it from 300 ft back. She offered the flow liquor, as this particular volcano is thought to be Madame Pele's home ; (fire goddess). If a old lady comes to your home in Hilo, you must give her water, as this is thought to be Pele. It was spectacular to see. People complain of bad luck if you bring back lava pieces back home.

Property on the big island is actually rated on how close it is to the volcano. So property is more expensive farther away and is rated better. The rating numbers go up the closer it is to the volcano

Thanks for bringing up this interesting topic. Wolf Prince

Last edited:
It would certainly be catastropic but (if you subscribe to the evolutionary model/theory) our ancestors did survive the last three eruptions 640k, 1.2 mil and 2.1 mil years ago. Homo Erectus made it thru two of them.

0010.jpg
Way to go Erectus!

o evol.jpg

And Heidelbergensis saw us thru the last one.

00110.jpg
Ur the Man!

So if they could do it, Homo Sapiens sure can.

0002.jpg
Man resting in Heidelberg, GE

Interesting question for me is. If they all go off at the same moment. Several are over due according to scientists.

Interesting question for me is. If they all go off at the same moment. Several are over due according to scientists.

Well you are quite the Debbie Downer. But why stop there? Lets make it even more tnteresting and add an asteroid smacking into the earth at the same time and while we're huddled around our pathethic little fires of broken up Akea furniture an outbreak of Bubonic Plague.

;)

Well you are quite the Debbie Downer. But why stop there? Lets make it even more tnteresting and add an asteroid smacking into the earth at the same time and while we're huddled around our pathethic little fires of broken up Akea furniture an outbreak of Bubonic Plague.

;)

LOL, sounds like the crappy disaster TV movies that ABC (the US TV network) made during the 00s. My fave was the bird flu one (at a time when bird flu was all over the "news" as the next Black Death) in maybe 2007, complete with panic buying and billions dead. The flu killed 2/3 of humanity in 3 months, then mutated and killed the other 1/3 a few months later. The world was finally free of humans, yay! :rolleyes::eek:o_O Save humanity by killing yourself, or nature will do it for you.

;)

Plus a sharknado.

I am surprised Mt Rainer (100 miles south of Seattle) is not on the list. They talk about it erupting all the time. I once had a vivid dream about it happening.

New Threads

Top Bottom