• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Upper Body Workout...

Crossbreed

Neur-D Missionary ☝️
V.I.P Member
When I exercise, I tend to be more consistent in my lower body workouts than upper. In high school it was cross-country running and I have been an avid bicyclist from that time until now. In both cases, I didn't have to give my exercise routine a whole lot of thought, just go.

Upper body workouts, in contrast, always seemed to demand set-up and planning, counting reps, etc. It always seemed like more of a chore.

I started reading about UBEs as a means to work my upper body with minimal thought, like for my lower body. I found out that I could make an impromptu one by flipping over my spin bike [a DP AeroCycle].

My Fitbit seems to be tracking rotations, too!

I looked into hand-powered trikes (for paraplegics), but those are crazy expensive.

Last edited:
When I exercise, I tend to be more consistent in my lower body workouts than upper. In high school it was cross-country running and I have been an avid bicyclist from that time until now. In both cases, I didn't have to give my exercise routine a whole lot of thought, just go.

Upper body workouts, in contrast, always seemed to demand set-up and planning, counting reps, etc. It always seemed like more of a chore.

I started reading about UBEs as a means to work my upper body with minimal thought, like for my lower body. I found out that I could make an impromptu one by flipping over my spin bike [a DP AeroCycle].

My Fitbit seems to be tracking rotations, too!

I looked into hand-powered trikes (for paraplegics), but those are crazy expensive.
If you like repetition the Pilates performer machine makes it not as boring, from the video I remember, but try eBay as it was over a 1000 dollars for the metal framed ones, the original ones were a wooden frame.

If you like repetition the Pilates performer machine makes it not as boring, from the video I remember, but try eBay as it was over a 1000 dollars for the metal framed ones, the original ones were a wooden frame.
Thanks. I have an old-school rowing machine (that doubles as a bench press) that works similar to that, but planning is a bear (no video to follow). I have some helpful apps on my iPad, but everything takes time to set up.

Thanks. I have an old-school rowing machine (that doubles as a bench press) that works similar to that, but planning is a bear (no video to follow). I have some helpful apps on my iPad, but everything takes time to set up.
if you could alter the legs so it's completely horizontal then you can get the motion correct

I have problems with muscle tone, so if i don't do upper body ex, I slump, bad posture, so my lower body thing is just simple walking.

Upper body (cos I have a herstory of posture problems) is 3 fairly simple short things with a small handweight. there's the UP movement, then the get the shoulders back- a throw out movement, then the simple arm raise thingy. not sure how well this works in words, I just do the 3 for posture/upper back stuff, cos, they'll crucify ya, if you don't stand up straight

A good set of handweights is really helpful. You can get a bench, too. Curls, triceps, pushups, pull ups, flys, etc. They are not too expensive and very effective. Lots of vids on upper body workouts with dumbbells.

Swimming is good if you have access to a pool. Pretty much all of the water sports really, like surfing, kayaking, paddleboad, etc.

I also recommend those as better at building strength, endurance, health in general, rather then just muscle and bulk.

I'm not a very good swimmer, though.

Another group of sports that works out the arms, shoulders a lot is the racket/handball group. Tennis, racketball, etc. I used to go to empty racket ball courts mainly and just hit the ball. Some tennis courts have a practice wall also. Shooting baskets by yourself is good for that area too.

When I bike (or ran), I don't need a video. That seems true for a UBE, too.

I would get a little info on dumb bells if you use them because improper use can cause injury. Proper form is essential.

I'm not a very good swimmer, though.
But there are a lot less injuries not about being good it's about keeping it moving I had a guaranteed upper body workout move somebody incapacitated ,I do it every day, I scream like a weight lifter when I rise from a horizontal position, IAM not light

You could get wrist weights and wear them when you bike or run. Just a suggestion. I used to ride an exercise bike and do lifts with light hand weights at the same time.

...I found out that I could make an impromptu [UBE] by flipping over my spin bike...
I was trying to come up with name for this exercise in my Fitbit notes.
I decided on
full
"cranking."

I think that it is the perfect complement to cycling.

Last edited:
I was trying to come up with name for this exercise in my Fitbit notes.
I decided on
full
"cranking."
FYI, there is a UBE with the brand name, Krankcycle, and the trademark, Kranking, so others are thinking along the same lines.
full

It turns out that cranking is the perfect workout for my new outdoor sport, disc golf. Innova Beginner Discs
full

Planning a workout isn't as overwhelming as it first seems. 8-12 reps in 3-4 sets is usually good, no matter the exercise. As far as the workout routines, just learn what the muscles do, and which lifts work them. I find it easiest to lump upper body into 2 categories: push, and pull. You can find literally thousands of variations of PPL (push, pull, legs) pre-made to follow. Push involves things like bench press, using the pecs, front delts, triceps (chest, shoulders, arms). Pull involves things like rows or pull-ups, and works the biceps, lats, traps, rear delts (back, arms).

Training with weights isn't the same as doing cardio. Many people who are very good at biking or running cant deadlift or squat their body weight. Leg lifts can be intimidating, but they will keep you healthy, when done with good form. People say they're hard on the joints, but that's mostly only with bad form, or too heavy a weight. When done properly, they will help even out imbalances, and improve posture and mobility. One of the most common causes of back pain is merely weak, underused muscles, never being stretched or activated. Cardio is great, but doing both is even better. Playing sports or swimming is definitely a good start, but isn't quite as effective as strength training

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom