1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Upper Body Workout...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Crossbreed, May 15, 2021.

1. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝️

When I exercise, I tend to be more consistent in my lower body workouts than upper. In high school it was cross-country running and I have been an avid bicyclist from that time until now. In both cases, I didn't have to give my exercise routine a whole lot of thought, just go.

Upper body workouts, in contrast, always seemed to demand set-up and planning, counting reps, etc. It always seemed like more of a chore.

I started reading about UBEs as a means to work my upper body with minimal thought, like for my lower body. I found out that I could make an impromptu one by flipping over my spin bike [a DP AeroCycle].

My Fitbit seems to be tracking rotations, too!

I looked into hand-powered trikes (for paraplegics), but those are crazy expensive.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

If you like repetition the Pilates performer machine makes it not as boring, from the video I remember, but try eBay as it was over a 1000 dollars for the metal framed ones, the original ones were a wooden frame.

3. Crossbreed

Thanks. I have an old-school rowing machine (that doubles as a bench press) that works similar to that, but planning is a bear (no video to follow). I have some helpful apps on my iPad, but everything takes time to set up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetwise

if you could alter the legs so it's completely horizontal then you can get the motion correct

5. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have problems with muscle tone, so if i don't do upper body ex, I slump, bad posture, so my lower body thing is just simple walking.

Upper body (cos I have a herstory of posture problems) is 3 fairly simple short things with a small handweight. there's the UP movement, then the get the shoulders back- a throw out movement, then the simple arm raise thingy. not sure how well this works in words, I just do the 3 for posture/upper back stuff, cos, they'll crucify ya, if you don't stand up straight

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. OkRad

OkRad μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην V.I.P Member

A good set of handweights is really helpful. You can get a bench, too. Curls, triceps, pushups, pull ups, flys, etc. They are not too expensive and very effective. Lots of vids on upper body workouts with dumbbells.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Crossbreed

When I bike (or ran), I don't need a video. That seems true for a UBE, too.

8. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Swimming is good if you have access to a pool. Pretty much all of the water sports really, like surfing, kayaking, paddleboad, etc.

I also recommend those as better at building strength, endurance, health in general, rather then just muscle and bulk.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Crossbreed

I'm not a very good swimmer, though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Another group of sports that works out the arms, shoulders a lot is the racket/handball group. Tennis, racketball, etc. I used to go to empty racket ball courts mainly and just hit the ball. Some tennis courts have a practice wall also. Shooting baskets by yourself is good for that area too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. OkRad

OkRad μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην V.I.P Member

I would get a little info on dumb bells if you use them because improper use can cause injury. Proper form is essential.

12. Streetwise

But there are a lot less injuries not about being good it's about keeping it moving I had a guaranteed upper body workout move somebody incapacitated ,I do it every day, I scream like a weight lifter when I rise from a horizontal position, IAM not light

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Crossbreed

A UBE [upper body ergometer] is a stationary bike for arms.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. GadAbout

GadAbout Well-Known Member

You could get wrist weights and wear them when you bike or run. Just a suggestion. I used to ride an exercise bike and do lifts with light hand weights at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crossbreed

I was trying to come up with name for this exercise in my Fitbit notes.
    I decided on [​IMG] "cranking."

I think that it is the perfect complement to cycling.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021 at 10:47 AM
  16. Crossbreed

This isn't my machine, but it shows the appeal of "cranking," ⛮
    The Predator UBE

17. Crossbreed

FYI, there is a UBE with the brand name, Krankcycle, and the trademark, Kranking, so others are thinking along the same lines. [​IMG]