• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Updates to stem/business qualifications

Lysander

Hey guys,

I've been noticing a lot of info tech/stem job postings are very abruptly putting heavier emphasis on social behavior. Whereas in the past, similar job posting tended to discuss, I don't know... qualifications?

Many of the new job postings that I've been looking at do not even mention professional credentials.

I took a screenshot of this job posting for a business administrator.

Screenshot_20190131-215905.png

I mean, of course the skills listed above could lend themselves to a business administrator. But that is also an unnecessarily repellant job posting.

Just my observations. Maybe it's a legal loophole employers have found to try and weed out asd applicants who tend to lean on experience and job qualifications.

But I mean, they would never do that.

I don't know anything about the field, but it says "to provide multiple team support," which sounds like a social position to me, just based on the words.

But again, I have knowledge in the field.

Maybe the core qualifications are implied as part of the job title, and these are the additional criterion?

Just my observations. Maybe it's a legal loophole employers have found to try and weed out asd applicants who tend to lean on experience and job qualifications.

Exactly. They would never do that most likely because they simply don't have to.

Our wants and needs are indicative of such a small social minority that they don't need to "weed out" much of anyone. The brutal truth being that in most cases we aren't even on their radar. Then factor in competition in a job requiring social skills and the overwhelming number of Neurotypical applicants who would apply to them.

The curse of being in a statistical one-digit percentile of a social/neurological minority.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback everyone. It's a comfort to realize I was definitely over thinking this one.

Hey guys,

I've been noticing a lot of info tech/stem job postings are very abruptly putting heavier emphasis on social behavior. Whereas in the past, similar job posting tended to discuss, I don't know... qualifications?

Many of the new job postings that I've been looking at do not even mention professional credentials.

I took a screenshot of this job posting for a business administrator.

View attachment 51450

I mean, of course the skills listed above could lend themselves to a business administrator. But that is also an unnecessarily repellant job posting.

I immediately thought of Dilbert's pointy haired boss, as opposed to , say, Dilbert or Alice. I.E., those who manage vs those who actually get things done.

It is sad, but true, that the art of recruiting appropriate talent for a job today involves using somewhat vague "trendy" language that may not even be relevant to the needs of the job. This job posting doesn't express what the job entails in terms of definable, practical skills. You are right to question it, but it isn't any kind of conspiracy. The person who composed the job posting probably doesn't really know what the person for the job would actually be doing. This write-up for an employee could apply to a call-center, a complaint department, or a wedding dress factory. A potential candidate can't judge their suitability for the position if they don't know what type of operation he/she is managing. There is no mention of a product or a sphere of business. I am envisioning lots of phones and computer screens, and lots of turnover. I'm curious to imagine what kind of CV would result in an interview.

I think I'd apply for the job and see what it's all about. The job ad and the job can be a bit different.

New Threads

Top Bottom