• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Update

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
The Dr who refered me to the Autism centre contact me. They were appalled and so very affirming to me and said that was totally unfair. She got the report and said it was wrong.

She is refering me to a collegue who will help to find a more accurate Dx. She said I am not harmful and never hurt anyone. I was in tears. I have been isolated since that screening.

I will update you all . I am exhausted. One day TBI, next autism, next just plain nuts, next not nuts, next neuro troubles, next...........these things cause a person a tremendous amount of distress, more than the accident did.

I am very glad I found you guys. Even if I am not autie (which I still may be a tad), I am certainly not NT, so you understand me more than other people do. THANK YOU FOR being here.

Doesn't matter, you're still one of us. Whatever you end up being diagnosed as OKRad you're welcome here. Females spend a huge amount of time, if they pursue diagnosis of any sort trying to break the stereotypes. Commonly they used to be diagnosed as hysteric, schizophrenic, menopausal, now they are often diagnosed with personality disorders as adults.

I'm glad the doctor was understanding! That sounds like a nightmare of a first screening. I hope things start going better for you from here :)

Good to know your doctor is taking care of you. Remember that a label is just that, a label. It doesn't determine who you are. You are who you are regardless of how someone categorizes you.

And as Mia said, you are welcome here.

Oh how pleased I feel for you, OkRad.

I was once told that I do not have social anxiety and that I was just wanting attention. I went into surreal mode and tried to defend myself, but was condemned on the basis that I got there on my own and well dressed, so there is no way I have a mental issue. I was so shocked and distressed, because she even suggested I was trying to spunge off the government, that I could not even say how much courage I needed to get out the door and if it were not for my sunglasses and a book or music, I would not be in her room.

Today, though, have my husband who would support me better and even my dr said it is obvious I have chronic social anxiety. However, she also said there is no way I have autism and mocked me. She was basing her findings on her classic autistic clients. I had no strength to battle her or my husband, who agreed with her, despite him knowing me and always complaining about my aspie traits, that I just sat there wanting to stand up and scream at them.

A few who know me, recognise I am an aspie and so, when I can afford to do so, will get a formal diagnosis of social anxiety.

And back to you. It must make you feel on cloud nine, that finally someone listening?

Theses so called experts should be struck off for causing unnecessary emotional pain.

I'm glad the doctor has got back to you, and I really hope that you get some definitive answers from someone who actually knows what they're talking about soon.

Well you're part of the community so it makes no difference to me if they switch your diagnosis or not.

It's not nice to get ping-ponged around all over the place with saying what condition or conditions you have. I sort of get that a bit myself.

Thank you, friends. I can say I am sure hoping things get better. I have a lot of neuro issues bleeding over with psych, so that is the confusion but I am going to a very well known place. Still, psychology is still in the middle ages in my thinking!

I will let you know what they say!!!

Thank you, friends. I can say I am sure hoping things get better. I have a lot of neuro issues bleeding over with psych, so that is the confusion but I am going to a very well known place. Still, psychology is still in the middle ages in my thinking!

I will let you know what they say!!!

The negative stereotypes surrounding mental health issues are a big hindrance to advances. Physical ailments get the vast majority of funding for research and there is a huge push to make sure everyone has access to health care. But universal health often excludes mental health. The professionals who genuinely want to help often lack the resources that their counterparts in physical health have access to. There have been improvements, but we have a long way to go.

Oh how pleased I feel for you, OkRad.

I was once told that I do not have social anxiety and that I was just wanting attention. I went into surreal mode and tried to defend myself, but was condemned on the basis that I got there on my own and well dressed, so there is no way I have a mental issue. I was so shocked and distressed, because she even suggested I was trying to spunge off the government, that I could not even say how much courage I needed to get out the door and if it were not for my sunglasses and a book or music, I would not be in her room.

Today, though, have my husband who would support me better and even my dr said it is obvious I have chronic social anxiety. However, she also said there is no way I have autism and mocked me. She was basing her findings on her classic autistic clients. I had no strength to battle her or my husband, who agreed with her, despite him knowing me and always complaining about my aspie traits, that I just sat there wanting to stand up and scream at them.

A few who know me, recognise I am an aspie and so, when I can afford to do so, will get a formal diagnosis of social anxiety.

And back to you. It must make you feel on cloud nine, that finally someone listening?

Theses so called experts should be struck off for causing unnecessary emotional pain.

A pediatrician tried to convince me that my son does not have autism even though he already had a diagnosis. The pediatrician looked up classic autism symptoms and wasted an hour of my day trying to convince me that the psychologist who made the diagnosis was wrong. That was the last time I took my kids to see her.

Don't be so eager to accept your Doctors dx, because some doctors are better than others.

I have been treated for depression on and off for 30 years, to the point of doctors questioning whether I had a mental illness at all (yes, the psych said all my issues were medical; the medical community agreed, but no one did anything).

Several years ago, I read a description of Asperger's Syndrome and saw a few things the *jumped* out at me. I asked my doctor, who refused to test me. He said, "You don't have it; you can tell by looking at someone." Then he went on to say, "Of course, I can't stop you from self-diagnosing."

Personally, I found that to be insulting and condescending, so I left the issue slide. However, when I was forced to seek treatment for sensory and anxiety overloads, the doctor asking me questions said, "Have you ever heard of Aspergers?" I said yes.

She said girls present differently as boys and are more social. Since my diagnosis (as well as ADHD medication), I have realized that we do not experience words and thoughts the way others "hear" them.

We have a language of our own, that no one "looking in" will be able to describe, because they'll be using their own frame of reference and not ours.

Several years ago, I read a description of Asperger's Syndrome and saw a few things the *jumped* out at me. I asked my doctor, who refused to test me. He said, "You don't have it; you can tell by looking at someone."

I had basically the same experience when I saw the first GP I asked to refer me. The second one I saw said "I don't know enough about aspergers to make any comment, so I'll refer you to the people who do."

Doesn't matter, you're still one of us. Whatever you end up being diagnosed as OKRad you're welcome here. Females spend a huge amount of time, if they pursue diagnosis of any sort trying to break the stereotypes. Commonly they used to be diagnosed as hysteric, schizophrenic, menopausal, now they are often diagnosed with personality disorders as adults.
mia, i couldnt agree more,my classical aspie sister was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder at 19 because our ancient family doctor said girls cant have autism-yet he had been involved in my assessment and diagnosis as a toddler,perhaps the issue is with high functioning autism.

one of my most favourite support staff ive ever had!! was unknown to me a member on wrong planet and such a typical aspie-she then got a job in the residential home i lived in;she had been diagnosed with personality disorders including anti social pd if i remember correctly -all because her doc thought females dont have autism,she had to travel to sheffield [i think baron cohens clinic] to get assessed as an aspie,i really related to a lot of crap she gets and we both connected greatly,she helped me greatly when i was stuck in hospital in severe pain with a severe infection and pyschosis flailing- being forced off an opiate without the slightest of tapering [stupid stupid consultant],they assumed i was making pain up as i cannot communicate pain either through body language or verbally.
anyhow i am going away from the point,she really cheered me up and i wish we had lots of aspies like her in the care industry,i wish she was on this forum.

anyhow i am going away from the point,she really cheered me up and i wish we had lots of aspies like her in the care industry,i wish she was on this forum

I wish there were aspies/auties in the care system. It makes sense cause they do understand quite a bit better than others. Think I mentioned to you that I worked for one summer at a care facility, the residents accepted me right away. And I got along with pretty much all of them. Realize now that it was probably because I was like them and understood them.

I wish there were aspies/auties in the care system. It makes sense cause they do understand quite a bit better than others. Think I mentioned to you that I worked for one summer at a care facility, the residents accepted me right away. And I got along with pretty much all of them. Realize now that it was probably because I was like them and understood them.
maybe that is your 'calling' mia! leo kanner did say the key to autist success is to find your niche,your passion,you sound like youd fit the job perfectly,all we want is someone who cares,understands and quite possibly relates to our issues/traits without that falsified corrupt feeling you get from staff whove had a bit of autism training and think they know how your autism presents and why you may present with challenging behavior.
you could move countries and come work at my place ;) actually no dont...the pay is total crap,minimum wage.

The Dr who refered me to the Autism centre contact me. They were appalled and so very affirming to me and said that was totally unfair. She got the report and said it was wrong.

She is refering me to a collegue who will help to find a more accurate Dx. She said I am not harmful and never hurt anyone. I was in tears. I have been isolated since that screening.

I will update you all . I am exhausted. One day TBI, next autism, next just plain nuts, next not nuts, next neuro troubles, next...........these things cause a person a tremendous amount of distress, more than the accident did.

I am very glad I found you guys. Even if I am not autie (which I still may be a tad), I am certainly not NT, so you understand me more than other people do. THANK YOU FOR being here.

My Psychiatrist was skeptical and condescending when I notified her of my diagnosis. I get the general feeling that each of us know more about Asperger's than most professionals in mental health. They may be eager to dismiss a diagnosis due to their own fears concerning their lack of knowledge, or they are just quick to snub anything they dont understand because they are in a position to do that. Also, there is significant overlap between several diagnoses, which again, as people have mentioned are just labels.

Is that the argument she gave about you not having autism, or did I got it wrong? There's plenty of autistic people who wouldn't even hurt a fly, so this would be BS.

No, the argument about the idiocy of calling people they cannot diagnose Personality Disorders when they don't even do any screening.

Besides, a shrink I know said you CANNOT dx PD until you see hte person for a long time, like months. It's not possibvle!

The problem is okrad gp's oftenknow

New Threads

Top Bottom