• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Update Your Windows 10 Version To 21H2 NOW

Judge

V.I.P Member
While your Windows 10 support is supposed to formally run out as of October 2025, be aware that this is pertinent only to those who are running the most current version.

If you are still running an earlier version (20H2) of Windows 10 and fail to update to this version by next May 10, from what I have read you will no longer be able to update your Windows 10 OS at all. Leaving you completely to vulnerable from a security perspective, where third-party programs won't be able to fill such a gap.

Windows 10, version 20H2 end of servicing - Microsoft Lifecycle

I kind of cringed at the idea of a forced version update, but clearly we have no choice in the big picture. The good news (at least for me) was that doing such a comprehensive update from version 1904 seems to be running just fine, even accommodating my "Open Shell" custom menus.

Last edited:
I resisted updating my Windows 10 for the longest time because the newest version did not support my fax modem. I finally found a working fix and did the update.

I have since replaced that computer and have Windows 11, now.
(I think that the new emoji set is ugly, though.)

I resisted updating my Windows 10 for the longest time because the newest version did not support my fax modem. I finally found a working fix and did the update.

I have since replaced that computer and have Windows 11, now.
(I think that the new emoji set is ugly, though.)

Oh how I know what you mean. But now folks like us have no choice. The Empire Strikes...er uhhhhh....Microsoft strikes again.

I'm still avoiding Windows 11...easy for me as this computer is not eligible anyways. Have to build a new PC in the near future, still waiting for GPUs to come down in price. Meanwhile I still can fall back on Linux Mint 20.3, so I figure I'm in good shape either way at this point. Options are important to me, in spite of what Microsoft wants or demands.

Last edited:
You should look on eBay. They sell tons of cheap PC sticks, set top boxes, and I even think Google Chromecast is good, when it works. Lately, I have had problems with it. I'd been using the regular black one.

The newer white one is like an Android TV box in a way, as it has a whole operating system on it.

You should look on eBay. They sell tons of cheap PC sticks, set top boxes, and I even think Google Chromecast is good, when it works. Lately, I have had problems with it. I'd been using the regular black one.

The newer white one is like an Android TV box in a way, as it has a whole operating system on it.

No thanks. I build full-fledged computers using premium components. A key reason why I almost never have hardware issues of any kind. Which is primarily what angers me so much about Microsoft dictating that I must use an entirely new computer just to run their new operating system that doesn't seem to have much in the way of innovation so much as a new look and little else.

The next computer I build will be like this one in a particular way. It will have a removable SSD system, so I can alternate between Windows and Linux. But then who knows? I may finally abandon Microsoft altogether. Linux distros keep evolving far better in comparison. No telling what kind of operating systems Linux has in the future while Microsoft perpetually wallows in proprietary mediocrity.

Last edited:
Update Your Windows 10 box to Linux Mint NOW.

There, I corrected your title. You're welcome.

Update Your Windows 10 box to Linux Mint NOW.

There, I corrected your title. You're welcome.

LOL. I already did months ago. My "ace in the hole" when it comes to Windows.

Sadly though not everyone is cut out to install a Linux Distro. It takes a certain amount of commitment and willingness to persevere where troubleshooting is concerned. But yes, it IS an alternative. Though if you're a consummate gamer, you might want to stick with Microsoft. tough call either way IMO. And even seasoned Windows users may have some difficulty with Windows 11 changes as well.

Last edited:
Sadly though not everyone is cut out to install a Linux Distro. It takes a certain amount of commitment and willingness to persevere where troubleshooting is concerned. But yes, it IS an alternative. Though if you're a consummate gamer, you might want to stick with Microsoft.

Yeah, you've got that right.

As mine is a gaming machine I outright *cant* switch to Linux. There's WAY too many things that would stop working. As in, 95% of everything on here. This is incredibly irritating since Windows blows goat chunks.

Also these updates always suck. They always manage to. Something I keep remembering is this one guy who was trying to get some assistance with getting some bloody control over the ever-dreaded Windows Update, to which the M$ official service guys wouldnt help him with and just kept telling him it was for "security", and he basically said "Security? Hah! The only hacker I'm worried about is Microsoft" and that pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole disaster.

It's not even just the updates themselves, it's the godforsaken updater program. I can always tell when a Derpdows update is coming when my PC freaking WAKES ITSELF UP and just sits there like that, doing nothing but running its fans, while I'm asleep. It took me forever to figure out what was causing that. And yeah, it's Windows Update, and it will keep doing that until you allow it a proper restart to upgrade the infection.

Seriously I'd rather go back to Windows 7, the only one in the last couple of decades that, you know, freaking Did Stuff, than have to update to YET ANOTHER virus. I mean, OS. Apparently Windows is an OS. Totally not the worst thing to ever infect computers.

Actually, no, I'd rather just go back to DOS. I miss DOS. All these stupid modern machines with their "features" and yet I'd genuinely rather go back to that stone-age thing... says a lot about how bad this virus has got. Darn, I mean, OS.

Unix was the original OS, created by Bell Labs to run computers that took up entire ROOMS. Linus Torvalds once said that if Berkeley Unix hadn't been hogtied in endless court battles in 1991 that he likely wouldn't have written Linux, which he originally called "Freax" for "Freak Unix".

As for DOS, it was originally written as "QDOS" ("Quick and Dirty OS") by some hacker in Seattle. Bill Gates had been bluffing IBM suits with his wonderful descriptions of a Unix-like OS that only existed in his head. When he had to put up or shut up, he approached the programmer of QDOS, sweet talked the guy into selling it to him, then presented it to IBM as his own creation.

Hardcore hackers never really liked DOS, calling it a "lamer" OS. But by the late 80s Lucent (successor to Bell Labs) had built a firewall around Unix because they finally realized that it was worth money, and the geeks in UC Berkeley's computer science school were suing each other over Berkeley Unix. For a while DOS was the only game in town, except for a couple minor Unix spinoffs that had very limited license terms.

I was told ages ago by a computer science prof that if one could simply rip the OS off a Xbox one would have basically a single use version of Windows that would be better for a gaming dedicated homebuilt PC than the standard version. I'm sure that there are plenty of warez-version "Xbox Windows" OSes on the darknet.

Actually, no, I'd rather just go back to DOS. I miss DOS. All these stupid modern machines with their "features" and yet I'd genuinely rather go back to that stone-age thing... says a lot about how bad this virus has got. Darn, I mean, OS.

Those were the days. The "golden days" of personal computing, IMO.

When Windows 3.1 was just a nice graphic user interface that relied on the simplicity of DOS 5.0 as the actual operating system. When you could stroll into your local Egghead Software store and buy whatever application or game tickled your fancy and it would run fine as long as your autoexec.bat and config.sys files were configured accordingly. - And it wasn't rocket science. :cool:

And how it all went to hell the day Windows 95 hit the store shelves. But then it's never been about pandering to computer users. Only to shareholders. Where quarterly deadlines are paramount whether the product released works in whole or more likely in part. Something I witnessed working for a Silicon Valley software entertainment entity most of you have heard of. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, I just read some initial reviews of Intel's new "Arc" GPUs. Not impressive at all. But at least they met their second quarter deadlines! So buy now and wait later for your hardware to eventually operate beyond nominal expectations. :oops:

Last edited:
OK, I updated earlier this morning. Do I wait patiently for end of support now? Rhetorical question there, I will in fact wait patiently for end of support now. I don't meet the requirements for Windows 11 for some reason: the processor isn't supported and TPM 2.0 is required.

Windows 11 Specs and System Requirements | Microsoft

I'm running an Intel i5-7600K (4 cores @ 3.8GHz base clock), but a 1GHz dual-core processor is the bare minimum required? I don't get it. Oh well...

OK, I updated earlier this morning. Do I wait patiently for end of support now? Rhetorical question there, I will in fact wait patiently for end of support now. I don't meet the requirements for Windows 11 for some reason: the processor isn't supported and TPM 2.0 is required.

Windows 11 Specs and System Requirements | Microsoft

I'm running an Intel i5-7600K (4 cores @ 3.8GHz base clock), but a 1GHz dual-core processor is the bare minimum required? I don't get it. Oh well...

Same here. I can ride out to the end with Windows 10, but that's the end of the line with this machine and GTX 650Ti GPU and a third-generation four-core i5 3.4Ghz CPU. But nooooooooooooooo. Microsoft insists that everyone buy a new computer with TPM 2.0 & Secure Boot functionality built into the bios/motherboard with at least an Eighth Generation CPU.

Never mind my allegedly so "obsolete" computer runs Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20.3 great at present. :rolleyes:

And is Windows 11 technologically advanced well beyond Windows 10? Not at all from what I've read. It's just a different user interface, more like some Linux Distros and Mac OS "to keep up with the Joneses". And they want all of us with these "obsolete" computers to simply replace them even in the middle of inflation and eventual recession. When buying groceries may prove a greater priority than computing. :mad::mad::mad:

However in all honesty, at the moment sidestepping any aspirations about getting back into gaming, I' looking very hard at using a Linux Distro on a full-time basis. Because I can. :cool:

I have Mint 20.3 running quite well now, but have my eyes on Pop! OS Cosmic as well. Meanwhile using Wine 7.0 I am running a 20 year old version of Photoshop on a more stable and secure Linux platform than what Windows 10 provides. ;)

Though for any of you considering migrating or at least giving Linux a try, like @oregano posted, your best bet is to try Linux Mint 20.3 (or Zorin OS16) first, as the installation process is both simple and complete compared to many other distros. Though mind you, whatever you know about Windows won't be of much help with Linux.

So even if I do build a new system, I've decided to design it like this one where I have removable SSD capability. Where I can simply insert a new drive and run a free, more secure Linux distro instead of being at the mercy of a proprietary monopoly.

Last edited:
I just use a kind of rare version of Windows 10 Enterprise that you can't even officially get as an individual, just corporations. Obviously obtained through unofficial methods.

Security updates until 2032.

No other trash updated of any other kind unless I specifically select them.

No windows changing settings or breaking things on its own with each update.

Comes without all the pointless bloat and at least less spyware than the regular versions of windows 10.

And I also ran all those scripts and changed all those options to rid myself of the extra BS.

It's actually incredible what an absolute pile of crap windows became after 7 (well, 8.1 wasn't so bad). If one day I have a powerful enough PC I'll just use Linux Mint and use a Windows virtual machine for anything that doesn't work natively or something.

If one day I have a powerful enough PC I'll just use Linux Mint and use a Windows virtual machine for anything that doesn't work natively or something.

That "one day" might just be right now. ;)

There are a number of Linux distros that run on very lean- and old hardware platforms. Take a look at Linux Zorin OS16 Lite and see if your present system meets their system requirements. I know that Linux Mint 20.3 runs quite well on my computer with an 11 year-old bios. It uses a fraction of memory on bootup compared to Windows.

Zorin OS 16 Lite Review – Perfect Combination of Beauty, Performance and Simplicity

Last edited:
The oldest PC I have run W10 on is an x64 system powered by a Q6600 core2quad CPU. This was unsuccessful due to missing driver that caused problems (the generic driver didn't work and caused freezing/crashing). It runs W7 just fine so will one day be used as an 'old game' system where they won't run on later OS.

The oldest PC I have run W10 on is an x64 system powered by a Q6600 core2quad CPU. This was unsuccessful due to missing driver that caused problems (the generic driver didn't work and caused freezing/crashing). It runs W7 just fine so will one day be used as an 'old game' system where they won't run on later OS.

Yeah, I've read a few articles about two-core CPUs and whether or not they are truly obsolete in the present day.

Though I find such things to be a big reason for how proprietary technologies can be so obnoxious and disgusting. Where they deliberately render your hardware obsolete by not updating drivers. And I suspect there are a number of hardware manufacturers who routinely collude with Microsoft to mutually benefit in forcing their customers to spend more money just to keep up pace with an endlessly evolving OS.

While I hold out little hope of Microsoft changing their mind, I suspect they could very easily rescind their hardware requirements of Windows 11, ensuring many more migrations to that OS rather than to see more and more migrating to Linux. Microsoft continues to poo-poo Linux as a competitor, yet in Windows 11 they designed it so you can no longer dual boot it with Linux. If they truly believe it's not a threat, why did they bother? Uh-huh...;)

...And they want all of us with these "obsolete" computers to simply replace them even in the middle of inflation and eventual recession. When buying groceries may prove a greater priority than computing....

You're right about that, buying groceries...no worse time than right now with prices on everything rising and it's ridiculous. I'm not sure many people can even shell out that kind of cash on hardware with budgets being strained. I really hope this blows over in due time so everyone can afford some sort of upgrade without breaking the bank. Here's hoping we all can ride it out until then...

I also skipped over this list of compatible Intel CPUs:

Windows processor requirements Windows 11 supported Intel processors

Mine's not on there, go figure. Still not interested, don't care about workarounds, no biggie.

Mine's not on there, go figure. Still not interested, don't care about workarounds, no biggie.

Glad you brought that up. Yes, there are a number of "workarounds" you can find, particularly on YouTube in altering the registry so your Windows 10 will accept the upgrade to Windows 11 directly from Microsoft.

However for starters, Microsoft is now placing an ugly watermark on the desktop of anyone who utilizes such workarounds. An indicator that eventually they will introduce hardcore programming that probably renders the OS useless in the event it cannot pass such "tests" such as their "genuine advantage" programming. So I see no point in such a workaround in the long run.

Microsoft may be champions of mediocrity when it comes to their OS, but they aren't stupid when it comes to enforcing the proprietary nature of their product either. Something to consider if anyone is seriously contemplating such workarounds in the Windows Registry. Being mindful that the registry can be very unforgiving in the event you don't backup whatever you alter.

I'm guessing that upgrading your Windows 10 to the required version is no more effective than such workarounds. Except that maintaining Windows 10 may ultimately buy us more time than attempting to use any workaround that Microsoft will likely intervene over, and in a less-then-cordial manner.

I've stated before in other threads that while I fundamentally support intellectual property rights, what Microsoft does as an effective monopoly is just "over-the-top". Even ghastly. Especially with potentially really bad economic indicators looking us all in the face at the moment.

Last edited:
I guess I'm safe.

I'm not, and never did run Windows 10. Never got passed Win 7 before I was fed up with it. I'm so much happier with the non-commercial world of Linux. Yea, it's a bit harder, but I prefer that to having my computer experience being controlled and dictated by Microsoft or any other monopolistic commercial interest.

I guess I'm safe.

I'm not, and never did run Windows 10. Never got passed Win 7 before I was fed up with it. I'm so much happier with the non-commercial world of Linux. Yea, it's a bit harder, but I prefer that to having my computer experience being controlled and dictated by Microsoft or any other monopolistic commercial interest.

Shoutout to @Ken for suggesting I give Linux a shot. :)

At this point I pretty much got all the Intel HDA audio issues out of Mint 20.3, except for that weird bios bug that shows up just before booting into the OS. According to the very helpful Mint Forum, it's not an issue. Just an annoying message and little else. If anything it's just my AMI bios complaining that I'm booting into an OS other than Windows. My Bad ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom