• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unsure about self diagnosing.

BumiCooper

I’ve been considering the possibility that I could have aspergers for some time now. After learning and doing research a lot of the traits felt very familiar. I’ve even taken several of the online test and they all suggest I may have aspergers. I talked to my mom about it she agrees that it would explain a lot of things in my life and makes a lot of sense to her as well. I felt a sense of relief at first but then the question of getting a real diagnosis got to me a bit. I would only want it official as a confirmation. Is an official diagnosis necessary even though I believe it to be true? I go back and forth on wether it is especially since there doesn’t seem to be a standard form of assessment and it being even harder for adult females. I went from thinking “finally an answer” to “what if it’s not true and I still have no explanation”. There is also an issue of not having the resources where I live so it would be hard to find someone to assess me. So I guess I’m asking should I be ok with my own evaluation and except not getting the confirmation? I’m just a little lost here.

Welcome! Unless you want a diagnosis because it might open the door to work accommodations or something else useful, there's nothing wrong with being self-diagnosed. You know yourself best.

As you have come across, it's also a lot harder to get an diagnosis as an adult woman as not many have the training / experience for that - some of our members here have had some challenges and perhaps some will chime in with links to their posts on their experiences.

Soooo

Many adults are selfdiagnosed, not all. For me i see lil real gain there. Likely if i undertake therapy again i will bring it up, also schizotypal, and schizophrenia as
ASD and schizo have overlapping symptom sets. Adults can also have ADD, which also seems like a sorta fit for me.
So not interested in taking pills. Supposedly it can really help for schizo issues. No meds are available for autism
But some autistics are medicated for other psych issues. I dont want any. Not unless it was somewhere safe, or i had a nurse at home or something, psych drugs terrify me, and i live alone in the wilderness

As far as i know ASD1 might qualify me for food stamps, but not much else, it varies place to place. Im not able to work but im not disabled. Im like on the border between able and crazy.

Sooo
If it matters to you to know, thats important. It matters to me to read the therapist in to it, when i get one. I want to be more awesome. Prettier, smarter,richer, not just well liked, but adored by multitudes. Sadly i will compromise for gainfully employed, self supporting and healthy, with a few friends

Last edited:
Didn’t find out until age 11 that my vision was pretty bad. First time I put on glasses I was stunned at the clarity of the world. Finally figuring out late in life that I’m autistic has had the same stunning effect of clarifying my life. Fine if you have a need for a formal diagnosis, but I don’t.

Hi and welcome. The thing is, not getting a diagnosis because the individual clinician doesn't think you fit the criteria, doesn't mean you are not autistic. They get it wrong a lot. Read more about it, look in to it more, and see if strategies that are used by others may fit for you.

Maybe also do some work on your confidence, as it may be that is affecting your thinking here, although we may be Aspies, we still have lots of other aspects to us that are changeable and can be developed if we work on them, like self esteem, confidence, attachment relationships with others, same as for neurotypical people, therapy and self study is often helpful.

"I would only want it official as a confirmation. Is an official diagnosis necessary even though I believe it to be true? "

No, it's not, unless you need to access insurance or other support. But getting a diagnosis was important for me personally. I needed to know what was "wrong" with me. This is a completely personal statement. It has helped me accept myself and also find specific strategies and techniques to help me navigate my life (and recognize the specific gifts that autism gives me). I would always have been wondering and doubting without it.

Of course, I could probably have gotten another diagnosis by going to a therapist not specialized in autism (and did - one therapist diagnosed bipolar, another wanted to go down the borderline path). My point is that I needed a diagnosis and felt the greatest fit with ASD, rather than anything else that was bandied about. Other people will need something else.

Having said that, while I would always go for a diagnosis again, I was unprepared for the rollercoaster ride that my diagnosis led me on emotionally and psychologically. First I was elated, then devastated, then in shock, then it was mostly good :) That all lasted a few years.

Welcome! You most certainly do not need a professional diagnosis if you don't want one or can't get one and you'll still be welcomed by us here and you can be a valued member of this forum.

Thoughts differ a bit on the following, but I personally think it's important for self-diagnosed people to state that they're self-diagnosed (just like you have) rather than a definite "I'm autistic".

One of the few things that Covid has done to make something easier is the adoption of telemedicine as an accepted means for medical and mental health services. That means mental health services are now available in a way that pre-Covid, they were not. I suggest if you are interested in pursuing an assessment that you contact the autism society of your state to explore telehealth options to possibly do an assessment virtually. I would think that might be possible.

Again, welcome!

I want to thank you all for being so kind and helpful. I think that I am fine being self diagnosed for now since I am not looking for special accommodations or benefits. I believe that at some point I will pursue diagnosis once I find the right path to do so without stressing myself out about it. I will keep doing the necessary learning and research in the meantime. I will make sure to state that I am self diagnosed as not to misrepresent myself. Once again thank you all and I look forward to more interactions with people on the spectrum.

Is an official diagnosis necessary even though I believe it to be true?

A proper diagnosis isn't quite as important as are what the consequences may entail for telling the rest of the world something best confined to a "need-to-know" basis only.

Making the issue a matter of medical record is critical if you truly intend to pursue legal entitlements to offset any perception of struggles in being autistic. That much is quite understandable. However if you wish to pursue a formal diagnosis simply for "peace of mind", don't lose sight of any potentially negative consequences in doing so.

In essence be cognizant of the society all around you, in which only a few will want to understand and succeed. With a few more wanting to understand and fail. Leaving the vast majority who will likely be indifferent to your "discovery" and simply expect or demand that you adjust to the neurological majority. Where assuming those closest to you in your social orbit will be the most understanding can potentially result in great disappointment.

Whether you self-diagnose or get a formal diagnosis, don't assume any doors will suddenly open for you. That the opposite is far more likely, depending on who you tell. That it's terribly important for you to know who- and what you are neurologically speaking. But everyone else...not so much.

Last edited:
I initially avoided diagnosis because it would only have derailed my career (military). Later it simply did not matter. I have not been in the position of needing anything the diagnosis would materially help with. But it is late in my life. If I was younger I might get it to keep my options open, as you never know what might happen later on.

I want to thank you all for being so kind and helpful. I think that I am fine being self diagnosed for now since I am not looking for special accommodations or benefits. I believe that at some point I will pursue diagnosis once I find the right path to do so without stressing myself out about it. I will keep doing the necessary learning and research in the meantime. I will make sure to state that I am self diagnosed as not to misrepresent myself. Once again thank you all and I look forward to more interactions with people on the spectrum.

HI and Welcome to the Forums. Being self diagnosed is fine, having a diagnosis is fine too. Hang around a bit here and join in the chat and see how things develop for you. Glad you have an answer that work for you jsut now.

Hi there

I felt pretty much as you describe and since I read everywhere that where I live, there is no possibility of a diagnosis for females, I decided that since I was welcome here as a self diagnosed aspie, that it really did not matter. However, I found that I felt a fraud and constantly explaining myself.

Amazingly, and I put it down to my God, Jehovah, that as soon as the question was posed to my psychiatrist, it was like within a few months, that I received my formal diagnosis and it has been worth it.

But, if you are not able to get a diagnosis, then, please be assured that you are accepted here.

Welcome! You are more than welcome to join us if you self-identify.

I was very lucky that my diagnostic journey was quite straightforward with none of the roadblocks I hear from other adults. I waited about five months and had a lengthy evaluation with a very skilled Neuropsychologist. She made me feel very comfortable to the extent I even sat on the floor and stimmed, because I don't like chairs. I was very tired by the process (10+ hours of clinical assessment and another couple hours of followup questionnaires at home, which I sent to a third party place somewhere in America for double-blind validation). Personally I loved the process of learning more about myself in the developmental history paperwork, in the assessment itself, and by reading the comprehensive report which compares me to other women (NT / ND) of my age. It answered a lot of questions for me about whether I was "normal" or not in certain areas, or compared to certain norms.

I know that not everyone wants this degree of data collection but I think it's fascinating. I was already on long-term disability prior to the diagnosis but it doesn't hurt to send additional info or additional diagnoses when and if they're needed. I also received a clinical ADHD diagnosis because I find the testing and the reports very interesting.

Whatever you decide you're more than welcome to be here and I hope you stay around!

just wanted to say, I feel the exact same. For me it’s like the fear of the doctor telling me no you aren’t? I guess it’s like if the doctor would at least confirm it then i could say for certain to people i know without them invalidating my experiences... i wonder if thats the same for you?

just wanted to say, I feel the exact same. For me it’s like the fear of the doctor telling me no you aren’t?
It's okay to try it on to see if it fits.
You will figure out pretty quickly if it doesn't.
Until then, no harm/no foul.
(The only exception would be if you wish to harm yourself or others.
If that is true, deal with that first.)

New Threads

Top Bottom