• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

University (getting through it)

Emzical

If you did a degree. How did you get through it, what support was put in place for you?
Did anyone develop a panic disorder, which made it impossible to attend classes?
Did you find you were treated differently by pupils and staff?

Anyone had a horrendous university experience and did you stay on your course?

I did not have any help at university. I did end up taking a break due to mental health issues 3 times. In the end I got my medical license after 10 years.
I didn’t have a bad time in university, nor did I have a great time. I got along with a few people and after a few attempts I stopped trying to befriend people that didn’t seem interested in me. I’m still friends with the people I befriended over the course of those ten years, although busy schedules prevent us from meeting up more than once/twice a year.

Edited to add that I wasn’t diagnosed until I was near the end of my masters degree.

Last edited:
I wasn't diagnosed until I was 41 so I didn't have any support or accommodations in university. At one point, I became depressed, developed some very rigid routines around eating and study to the extent that my parents thought I had an eating disorder, and very nearly gave it up - my parents wanted me to quit and actually it was me who insisted that I should continue because I was stubborn and didn't want to give in or fail. I was referred to a psychiatrist and received therapy. I was lucky to have supportive parents.

I had a great time at university, except for at the beginning of each of my degrees. I wasn't diagnosed until mid way through my MSc so I mostly went through without support. The initial settling in period was really difficult and overwhelming, but once I got into the routine it was brilliant, I made a friend or two on my BSc course through our common interest in environmental science and ecology (benefit of being at uni, you immediately have something in common with the people on your course). Didn't really make any real friends during my MSc, I was living with my parents and had a long commute so didn't make the effort to meet up with people.

Once I was diagnosed I had a mentor which was really useful, they helped with a lot of things, like communicating with my lecturers when I was having some personal problems.

I don't think I was treated 'differently'. I'm socially awkward so I didn't exactly fit in, but that's normal for me. The staff only treated me differently in so far as they were supportive of any student who put in extra effort, I expressed an interest in a career in research so they helped me get work as a student research assistant and such.

Hi, I earned a degree. I was diagnosed as an adult, but had other diagnoses since I was a child.

I had accommodations. I had mandatory tutoring hours everyday. I had private testing areas, book readers (computer scanner thing) , untimed tests and probably some other things I’m forgetting.

I graduated with a bachelors in 4.5 years.

I stayed the course. Just toughed it out and was a nerd. I blocked out everything except the neuro issues which tanked me in the end. Almost finished and hoped to one day, but it was the neuro/physical that did me in more than anything else.

I would say block out as much as you can and really enjoy learning. There are supports, but I did not find them useful.

I hope you can do it. Many on here have! But if you don't, it's not the end of the world. There are many other things....and it is never too late. There are many ways to get degrees now. Online, night classes, etc....

Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom