• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding emotions test coming up in a couple of week's time

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Anyone else had to take this test? How did it go?

I admit, that the need to get things right comes into play and yet, I know that I am terrible with explaining emotions and it has caused a lot of misery.

I did not understand the emotions test where one looks at pictures of eyes or faces and then picks the emotion that supposedly goes with it. I guessed through the entire thing.

I have worked for decades to become an expert at explaining my emotions. It's a long, hard road, but worth it.

Anyone else had to take this test? How did it go?

I admit, that the need to get things right comes into play and yet, I know that I am terrible with explaining emotions and it has caused a lot of misery.
no but they asked me so many questions, tire yourself out before you go -wish id done it !i perspired for britain sitting waiting for them to arrive !

Cambridge Cognition's "Emotional Recognition Task". Measures the ability to identify six basic emotions in facial expressions along a continuum of expression magnitude:

Emotion Recognition Task (ERT)

The Cambridge Face Memory (Facial Recognition) Test:

Psychology Experiments: Cambridge Face Memory Test

One thing that has always puzzled me about such tests, is that if one inherently has difficulty facing another person eye-to-eye, just how much can it impact their score to begin with ?

Yet I've also heard of those who have no issues with such a test only because they are not having to stare down a real person in real-time either. Puzzling...:confused:

Last edited:
When I saw your post I looked online for a test. Found one. It was hard! I always hate at the doctors office when they ask for a number for my pain. I mean it hurts to the point I could cry or not cry but almost.

Not quite sure, but think that it involves reading accounts of a situation and then, describing the emotions involved, somthing like that.

I did tests where I listened to what was basically a radio play, listened to social situations read out, or watched video skits and then answered questions about the situations and the perspectives of the characters. These things were evaluating more than how well I recognized/understood emotions in others, though.

I don't really know/remember how well I did, except that the results showed impairment and I got the impression I surpassed some expectations held by the person testing me.

Can you give an example?

One specific example?

Overall I have found that I must put in the effort to think about how I am feeling. Many discussions with 'feeler' types (see Meyers-Briggs) has shown me that they are always aware of how they feel. In fact it seems that they make decisions primarily based on their feelings. So what I do now ... is to stop several times a day and think about how I feel about something or someone that has been the focus of my attention. This allows me to access my feelings and to have an exercise that is familiar and that I can call on when needed to do so.

If someone asks me how I feel about a particular thing, then I either can answer them because I have already thought about that thing or I can tell them that I need to think about it, but it is not a painful process to go away and think about how I feel and then let them know.

As for recognizing the emotional states of others ... I seem to do fine on those tests, but in real life it's hit and miss. I tend to be overly sensitive to the emotional state of those who I care about and anyone who displays even a modicum of disrespect toward me.

New Threads

Top Bottom