• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Undergoing TMS

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I will finally have my TMS session this Friday. I am anxious about it since I have never had any similar treatment done to me before and I worry it will make me suffer worse if it doesn’t help me. If it doesn’t help me get a girlfriend and remove the mental blocks that hold me back, I don’t want to keep going.

To know what that was about, I looked TMS up.

"Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a noninvasive procedure that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain to improve symptoms of depression. TMS is typically used when other depression treatments haven't been effective."

"Repetitive TMS isn't invasive, doesn't require anesthesia and can be performed on an outpatient basis. You don't need to arrange for someone to drive you home after treatment — unless, for the first treatment, you prefer a driver until you get a sense of how you'll feel afterward."

"Repetitive TMS is usually done in a doctor's office or clinic. It requires a series of treatment sessions to be effective."

Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic

Frequently Asked Questions About TMS at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland

Is There Evidence for Effectiveness of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders?
Predictors of Response to Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in Depression: A Review of Recent Updates

Well, Markness, I hope it helps you quite a lot. Just be prepared for the change to not be instantaneous.

You do certain things that prolong and maintain your depression. For instance, certain cognitive biases like black-and-white thinking, all-or-nothing thinking, as well as behavioral things like not continuing to try to make friends since previous attempts were unsuccessful, or not continuing with art or music because you can't be proficient right away.

Working with a psychotherapist, and with some relief from TMS, maybe you can stop doing the things that prolong depression. Others are telling you they have come a long way from a previous depressed state. One day, maybe that will be you, telling others in pain what worked for you.

To know what that was about, I looked TMS up.

"Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a noninvasive procedure that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain to improve symptoms of depression. TMS is typically used when other depression treatments haven't been effective."

"Repetitive TMS isn't invasive, doesn't require anesthesia and can be performed on an outpatient basis. You don't need to arrange for someone to drive you home after treatment — unless, for the first treatment, you prefer a driver until you get a sense of how you'll feel afterward."

"Repetitive TMS is usually done in a doctor's office or clinic. It requires a series of treatment sessions to be effective."

Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic

Frequently Asked Questions About TMS at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland

Is There Evidence for Effectiveness of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders?
Predictors of Response to Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in Depression: A Review of Recent Updates

Is there anything in these links about men who wish they could have girlfriends but can’t due to extreme shyness as well as anxiety and living in rough cultures but TMS helped them?

Is there anything in these links about men who wish they could have girlfriends but can’t due to extreme shyness as well as anxiety and living in rough cultures but TMS helped them?
*SLAPS YOU UPSIDE THE HEAD*

Forget about girlfriends (for now). Treat the depression, learn new ways of thinking about things, and the girlfriend will follow. Eventually.

Disclaimer: slaps upside the head are not a proven therapy. Don't use them. It's just a figure of speech!

One problem side effect of TMS is that it makes you more impulsive. Be careful if it gets bad, stop the treatmemt.

@Markness Keep us informed.
I am considering TMS as my therapist suggested it for depression and PTSD.
Wondering if there are any side effects besides the impulsivity listed.

I will finally have my TMS session this Friday. I am anxious about it since I have never had any similar treatment done to me before and I worry it will make me suffer worse if it doesn’t help me. If it doesn’t help me get a girlfriend and remove the mental blocks that hold me back, I don’t want to keep going.
Please report back and tell me what it did for you thanks

I waited a whole month just to be told I need to try another medicine prescription and see if it doesn’t work before I can undergo TMS...Really?!? I essentially waited for nothing.

I waited a whole month just to be told I need to try another medicine prescription and see if it doesn’t work before I can undergo TMS...Really?!? I essentially waited for nothing.
Did you report this exasperation to the therapist?

Did you report this exasperation to the therapist?

I will on Monday. I can’t really talk to her outside our sessions. It is indeed exasperating. It’s like I need surgery but I am not in dire enough condition.

I also think this thread’s title needs to change so it reflects what happened to me.

I do still wonder who were the ones that brought up I was going to get TMS until this 180 of events happened. Were they talking trash about me and bringing up the girlfriend thing?

Last edited:
I do still wonder who were the ones that brought up I was going to get TMS until this 180 of events happened. Were they talking trash about me and bringing up the girlfriend thing?
I am not sure what you are talking about here?

I really don't see anyone talking trash about you on this forum.

I'm glad you plan to discuss this with your therapist on Monday. You have every right to be very mad about how your feelings were disregarded. And you've already been on many different meds, haven't you?

Try to mellow out over the weekend. I'm sorry all this happened to you.

I am not sure what you are talking about here?

I really don't see anyone talking trash about you on this forum.

I'm glad you plan to discuss this with your therapist on Monday. You have every right to be very mad about how your feelings were disregarded. And you've already been on many different meds, haven't you?

Try to mellow out over the weekend. I'm sorry all this happened to you.

You told me “chatters” from Wrong Planet also use this forum and they brought up how I had considered undergoing TMS. I know that at least one person here has trash talked about me.

I have tried multiple medications and the one I was prescribed on Friday made me sedated for almost all of Saturday.

Ugh (regarding sedating drug).

As for talking trash, please report every instance to the moderators here. They are REALLY good about removing posts or asking for an edit to reduce people's discomfort. It's a very different environment than WrongPlanet.

REMINDER

If you come across something you find offensive or believe breaks the rules,
report it to a member of staff using the report button. Do not reply to the thread.

If you are having a problem with another member of the forums,
you may contact a member of staff via Private Message about it.

General Rules & Guidelines

@Markness I have been wondering what the reason was for denying you TMS.

I looked on the Mayo Clinic website for contraindications for TMS. Not surprisingly, if you have metal in your body (implants, shrapnel) you shouldn't have it. While not listed as a contraindication specifically, it is also stated that you must let the doctor know if "You have other mental health disorders, such as substance misuse, bipolar disorder or psychosis." Also if you have a history of seizures or headaches.

It may be that the place that was going to do your TMS was concerned about whether it would do you possible harm.

You should discuss this with your regular psychiatrist as well as the TMS doctor. Ask for the specific reason why they didn't want to proceed with it right away. "You should try this other medication first," is not actually a reason, it's just a delay tactic, especially when you have been on many meds already. If you are seen as having OCD, psychosis, or a personality disorder, you have a right to know that.

I really do feel horrible. I can’t stop thinking about how I am going to be alone on Valentine’s Day and the doors in life are closing more and more.

@Markness I have been wondering what the reason was for denying you TMS.

I looked on the Mayo Clinic website for contraindications for TMS. Not surprisingly, if you have metal in your body (implants, shrapnel) you shouldn't have it. While not listed as a contraindication specifically, it is also stated that you must let the doctor know if "You have other mental health disorders, such as substance misuse, bipolar disorder or psychosis." Also if you have a history of seizures or headaches.

It may be that the place that was going to do your TMS was concerned about whether it would do you possible harm.

You should discuss this with your regular psychiatrist as well as the TMS doctor. Ask for the specific reason why they didn't want to proceed with it right away. "You should try this other medication first," is not actually a reason, it's just a delay tactic, especially when you have been on many meds already. If you are seen as having OCD, psychosis, or a personality disorder, you have a right to know that.

It’s just so strange that they don’t think I need it despite telling them I am depressed almost every day because I don’t have a girlfriend, I am not happy with so many other things in my life, and I have tried multiple medications but they don’t treat the depression at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom