• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unable to tune things out - if I understand

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
I find that if I don't understand a language, I can tune it out or let it be background noise, but that if I do understand the language (even partially) that I'm unable to - it's like I have auto-translate running in the background. Sometimes when on the train I try to just sleep and set an alarm for a couple minutes before my station to get around this. Thoughts?

Same with me. I have trouble understanding what someone is saying if there is another conversation nearby. Music also distracts me. In one of my workplaces there was always music playing and it used to drive me crazy.

Neither am I able to tune voices of people or animals out. And have found no way around it. For some reason human voices can wake me up from a relatively sound sleep. Have thought it has to do with hypersensitive hearing, and an overactive flight and fight response.

Last edited:
I can't tune out voices that easily either. Sometimes I get visibly annoyed when I'm doing something, which makes other people mad, since forcing myself to tune people out is frustrating. Certain people's voices also irritate me for no discernible reason.

My prior job and current job, l am learning to work in loud places- music, voices, etc. It can be bothersome, but l weigh it with it helps wipe out debt.

Same here. Especially if it's sporadic noise such as a dog barking, or someone speaking.

I always found it odd that I need music or the TV on at just the right volume to get to sleep,
but, if I hear people talking or a TV on in another part of the house, it keeps me awake.
Can't tune it out.

Thankfully, I live on a dead end street with no houses behind me and no houses close to the sides.
No children or dogs to bark and hardly ever a car except for the occasional residents from the last two houses down the road when they come and go. Don't even hear them go by.

When absorbed into something, I am oblivious to sounds.

I think I learned to tune out when a child. So much noise going on, but could read and close off sounds.

Same, and I have a really hard time having a conversation in a room where others are having conversations because of this. I can't tune out the other people (it also makes me feel bad sometimes because I can't help but eavesdrop, and I really don't think that's polite, their conversation is none of my business; I can't help but listen to it though).

I do OK with music, or mindless TV (like reruns of my favorite shows) - I like to keep them on as background noise and I don't get distracted by them (in fact they 'cover' sounds that would otherwise be distracting).

Same, 100%. If someone else is in the room talking, I can't follow what's on the TV - I pause it until they're done. It really aggravates me when two people talk at once.

We've noticed that our son has the same issue. We actually took him to have his hearing checked because he says, "What?" so often when someone else it talking. His hearing is fine, but he can't filter out other noises.

It's like going to a restaurant and trying to hear what the person(s) you're with is saying, but too much other talking that it just jumbles into one irritating noise. I usually end up just eating and smiling and hope I'm not smiling inappropriately. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom