• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

UK's first 'quiet hour' for autistic shoppers to be held next week...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

For an hour every day, shops will make their premises autism-friendly

Shops and restaurants up and down the country will dim their lights and turn down their music for an hour next week to raise awareness of autism.

Around 4,500 shops, including Toys R Us, Clarks and Sainsbury’s will make their premises autism-friendly as part of a National Autistic Society and Intu shopping centre campaign.

The idea is to create a safe space for people with autism, who are often overwhelmed by the overload of sensory information in their day to day lives.

Autism affects one in every 100 people. The condition can intensify sensory perceptions, making social situations difficult and the filtering of sounds, smells and sights a struggle.

Going out can be a challenge for people with autism because shops are often too loud and glaringly bright. Sixty-four per cent of autistic people and their families avoid going to the shops as a result.

Matt Davis is father to Isaac, who was diagnosed with autism aged three.

He spoke of the struggle of completing everyday tasks such as shopping with an autistic child, explaining: “Noise, lighting and crowds are all triggers for Isaac so either we avoid shops altogether or we have to put in a great deal of preparation to ensure Isaac doesn’t become overwhelmed."

According to the National Autistic Society, 79 per cent of people with autism feel socially isolated.

Autism hour will take place at 10am at locations across the UK, including Lakeside in Essex and The Trafford Centre in Manchester in the week of 2 October.

Find your closest Autism Hour event here.

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...c-shoppers-to-be-held-next-week-a3644281.html

I would like to go and just see the before and during the event difference... I hope someone records the just everyday normal environment and then goes in and records the environment during this process...

Would really like to see how much different it would be. : )

I would like to go and just see the before and during the event difference...

I'm going to do just this! The Sainsbury's that my husband works at is taking part, and it's a 5 minute walk from our house, so we're in there often. I'm making him go with me on Monday to see what it's like when they do the Autism hour.

I'm going to do just this! The Sainsbury's that my husband works at is taking part, and it's a 5 minute walk from our house, so we're in there often. I'm making him go with me on Monday to see what it's like when they do the Autism hour.

Please do this and post it... That would be too cool : )

A nice gesture. Though proprietors themselves are only part of this equation in terms of what makes up intrusive and stressful sensory considerations in retail environments.

Now if they could only do something about all the sensory considerations relative to NT patrons as well. Of course that reflects an exposure I must deal with wherever I shop for much of anything.

Loud conversations between people blocking access to inventory, people yakking on their cellphones, children attempting to break glass and the sound barrier with their voices, etc.. Somehow I don't see proprietors treating those customers as would a librarian, but who knows? Yes, feedback on how such events pan out would be most interesting.

Last edited:
A nice gesture. Though proprietors themselves are only part of this equation in terms of what makes up intrusive and stressful sensory considerations in retail environments.

Now if they could only do something about all the sensory considerations relative to NT patrons as well. Of course that reflects an exposure I must deal with wherever I shop for much of anything.

Loud conversations between people blocking access to inventory, people yakking on their cellphones, children attempting to break glass and the sound barrier with their voices, etc.. Somehow I don't see proprietors treating those customers as would a librarian, but who knows?

I just see it as a very nice gesture... I cant ever see anything like that happening here! People would protest it and make more noise, if only to get the attention...

I just think to even acknowledge that some of us have challenges and give even one hour is a very nice gesture, AND maybe lots of NT's will not want to be a part of that, so it could go the other way and actually be really pleasant... time will soon tell : )

I just see it as a very nice gesture... I cant ever see anything like that happening here! People would protest it and make more noise, if only to get the attention...

Exactly. They'd see such things as some kind of violation of their constitutional rights. :rolleyes:

Exactly. They'd see such things as some kind of violation of their constitutional rights.

Not quite to the same level, but I would bet any amount of money that they'll get complaints. Especially the supermarket we plan to go to, because a large proportion of their customers are miserable old people who love nothing more than a good moan. My husband is really glad that he's not working on Monday, because he said he couldn't put up with them moaning about this specific thing. They'll say things like "well this is ridiculous" and "I don't see any need for this" and more than likely "it's making it more difficult for me"....like as if every hour of every other day the shops aren't geared towards their needs.

hope auties spend enough to encourage them .
wish it had been the post office .

Good point. It makes it incumbent on those on the spectrum to get out and spend money...or such policies can be easily discarded as "unprofitable".

Last edited:
I wonder if it will be the same as the quiet coach on a train, usually find a couple of people talking, you hear the conversation in it's dullest form as every one else is quiet.

At the autism conference this year, some where talking in the quiet dinning area ffs, can't really blame NT's after that if aspies can't be bothered to make the effort.

a
I wonder if it will be the same as the quiet coach on a train, usually find a couple of people talking, you hear the conversation in it's dullest form as every one else is quiet.

At the autism conference this year, some where talking in the quiet dinning area ffs, can't really blame NT's after that if aspies can't be bothered to make the effort.
i asked the nas last week about an aspies hour said they werent planning one .
as i said sudden high pitched human and non human noises really unnerve me and i know some auties can vocalise at a very high pitch and im hypervigilant so a panic attack can
start and hopefully im not in the distressing visit to the bathroom stage of i.b.s

It's good to help make more people aware of aspies, however many people with aspies that are able to shop themselves (E.g. with asperger syndrome rather than full autism like both my brothers) would rather try to blend in than turn up to such an event and make a big thing of it, E.g. look at me I am autistic, also I would fear immature people nearby making fun of aspies attending.

Awesome! Report!!

I sure wish this was every day . I go to a gym and the NUMBER ONE TROUBLE IS THAT HIDEOUS MUSIC! Screeching and sh** . I try to play Bach to drown it out, but have you ever pitted a Bach Cantata against oh, Taylor Swift or Beyonce?? BOOM BOOM BOOM vs a beautiful melody..................................

What I would prefer is SILENCE!!! But that makes people FREAK OUT!!! OMGOSH IT IS QUIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good to help make more people aware of aspies, however many people with aspies that are able to shop themselves (E.g. with asperger syndrome rather than full autism like both my brothers) would rather try to blend in than turn up to such an event and make a big thing of it, E.g. look at me I am autistic, also I would fear immature people nearby making fun of aspies attending.
I never thought of this but that is true. Sick world and people beating up Aspies for fun

That sounds like an awesome idea. But id feel a bit like being put on display, Hope it doesnt cause spectators to watch the neuro diverse like at the zoo.

Oh, I never heard of this. I only dash to the shops in my lunch break and only then to get out of the office for a while and clear my head. I also volunteer in a bookshop. People tend to be quiet in there.

There are four that are supposed to be taking part on my local high street. Can't seem to work out who they are. And only an hour to fit them in!

That sounds like an awesome idea. But id feel a bit like being put on display, Hope it doesnt cause spectators to watch the neuro diverse like at the zoo.

I don't think it will, mainly because most people have no idea it's even happening unless they are on the spectrum or know someone who is (mainly parents of kids with ASD.) I honestly think most people will either think "hmm, the shop has changed" and then carry on without another thought, or will question it and then moan.

I agree, as what you said describes some of the challenges with which I have to deal when I go shopping at Walmart. Besides the store being laid out like a hedge-maze, the noise, lights, rude people, etc exacerbate the AS. It would be nice if they could find a way to make the shopping experience more "user (Aspie) friendly." If they do, I'd probably shop there.

Indeed, Walmart.

The only place that is almost certain to set off my sensory alarms at some point. If it weren't for their prices I'd never be there to begin with. But they're still the best deal in town for so many things. So frustrating. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom