• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

UK Sexual Orientation Report: "societal attitudes are changing in favour of diversity in sexual identity"

^^ The main takeaway is that large age gaps are less common and less accepted now than in the past, but that's not what this thread is about:
[A]ccording to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the percentage of new female-male marriages that are breaking the rule has declined from 30% at the beginning of the 20th century to a little more than 10% in 1980 to a mere 3% today.

It's true in the UK, too.
This is perhaps in part linked to the #MeToo movement, which placed increased attention on power dynamics in relationships. Some argue a significant age-gap, combined with the social and economic power that men wield in a male-dominated society, can leave young women in a vulnerable position. One study conducted shortly after #MeToo took hold shows that many outsiders believe that there’s an aspect of exploitation in age-gap relationships. Researchers found young people were particularly averse to relationships in which the male partner was older, and posited this was because they assumed that the relationship was exchange-based – for example, that people were exchanging sex for a certain lifestyle.

Last edited:
I had learned long ago that diversity resulted in very stable systems. I can't help but think by embracing diversity, societies become more robust and benefit us all. I have no problem embracing diversity though in my life I have had an uneasy relationship with my sexuality.

So I'm too young to date my boyfriend. Stupid rule, because I thought that as long as you are both adults it's OK. My sister was with a 45-year-old when she was 18, but for the wrong reasons (he was a controlling, toxic man), but the police could do nothing because she was 18+ (unless she confessed herself but because it was an abusive relationship and she was scared of him, she lied to protect him, out of fear).
It is sad to hear that. I hope you will be there for your sister when she leaves that toxic relationship. I was fortunate that I was very late to the relationship game, but happily that let me gain some life experience and mature socially.

I was exceedingly shy, but the positive thought I had developed to goad me into healthy relationships with women was when I thought women always fell for jerks until I realized that I was not approaching them to give them a choice. That spurred me to date and I was always an appreciative (though chaste) companion.

My whole life I've been as "progressive" as it gets despite being born into a deeply conservative country but I have to admit there's something that annoys me about the form in which modern sexual diversity is expressed, the endless sub divisions and qualifications and sub categories that become increasingly divorced from any sort of practical or objective meaning.

Clarifying I could not care less what people are attracted to or what sort of gender or sexual identity they actually belong to and its my firm belief that in an ideal society this shouldn't even be a topic of conversation because it's so utterly pointless to try and restrict what humans do with their lives as long as it doesn't harm others.

I don't know if its because of my autism adjacent condition that makes me naturally want objective and clear language and at the same time makes me naturally repulsed to the idea of having an emotional need to brand yourself in such specific ways to find social acceptance (or even the need for social acceptance at all) but I just can't deny that I'm annoyed and the endless classification of sexual identities and gender pronouns, that I perceive as mostly emanating from online circles.

Not to say that I think there's anything really wrong with it or that it's a harmful trend, if it helps some people feel more comfortable then so be it, but if I'd ever came across someone defining themselves by half a dozen labels that they've obviously learnt on Twitter it wouldn't give any external sign, but I'd certainly roll my eyes internally quite a bit.

endless sub divisions and qualifications and sub categories

Umm, ok. Possibly a little off-topic given that the report only uses these broad categories:

Heterosexual or straight
Gay or lesbian
Bisexual
Other

And Men, Women.

I never take anything away from raw statistics as there are always too many variables in the mix. I never check a box about my sexuality as I consider myself autosexual; which many class as asexual but that is not me. I have a sexuality, just not one of the readily accepted classifications. Within that, I do occasionally admire bodies of both sexes like one admires a painting, but like a painting I would never want to crawl into bed with them (sleeping with someone has always made me uncomfortable). I did try heterosexual long ago but I felt disconnected and filled with unease before, during, and after. I faked it all the way, which is what led me to where I am today.

I have been labeled as weird all my life and this is just one more notch on that classification I suppose. It probably also explains why I have been comfortable alone for long periods all my life. I think I prefer that, actually need it at times, although I can be as sociable as the next person when called on to do so. It is all part of my autism and I am not ashamed of it.

I just do not see the point and at least I am not contributing to the ever expanding population.

The ONS released a supplementary report about sexual identity and disability (among other things):

"Higher proportions of people who identified as LGB+ were disabled across all age groups, except for those aged 75 years and over."

"Among 16- to 24-year-olds, 32.4% of people who identified as LGB+ were disabled, compared with 12.6% in the overall population of the same age."

Heterosexual people didn’t need to say anything because their identity was the default assumption in all culture from the day they were born. Children’s toys, clothing, advertising, religious texts, marketing, and even school books reinforced the idea that boys would grow up to woo and marry girls, and continue the tradition with 2.5 heterosexual children and a lovely wood-panelled station wagon.

For laws and acceptance to change people need to speak up and state that they do not follow this mainstream narrative and they’ve been silent far too long.

#pride
Thats why i believe that the word WOMAN only ever means you were born a girl,if i don't speak up men are erasing women so they have the word man and woman, its terrifying to think if i need intimate care as i'm disabled a man could be coming to my home but calls himself a woman its absolutely petrifying

New Threads

Top Bottom