• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

UK research request- the language we use to talk about autism

JuliaB

Hi,

I am currently carrying out research to learn more about autistic people’s preferences for the language used to communicate about autism in the UK and whether there is a relationship between language, stigma, and social identity. There is currently a lack of research in this area and it has been suggested that simple changes to the language used may help to reduce stigma within society.

https://robertgordonuniversity.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/autism-stigma-and-identity-language-preferences-and-wide

If you live in the UK, are over 18 have a spare 5/10 minutes to complete the anonymous survey above to share your opinion, or if you are able to share it with others, I would be so very appreciative. There is more information about the survey on the link and also a link at the end to enter a prize draw to win £10 Amazon vouchers.

Thank you so much for reading,

Julia

Changing how people choose to speak isn't what I'd think to be a simple change. Often when new terms, or new faux pas are brought to the public's attention - a lot of people just scoff at the idea their vocabulary should adapted to suit, and some of them will be the types who will stigmatise others.

Ed

Changing how people choose to speak isn't what I'd think to be a simple change. Often when new terms, or new faux pas are brought to the public's attention - a lot of people just scoff at the idea their vocabulary should adapted to suit, and some of them will be the types who will stigmatise others.

Ed

And changing the language doesn't change the condition so I'm unsure of the point. Behavior is what matters, not words.

New Threads

Top Bottom