• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Uh-oh ... going down,down,down

GadAbout

I'm getting short tempered, lethargic, teary. I don't like this trend. I'm already on antidepressants and already see a therapist. Early winter here, lots of family problems, I probably try to do too much.

Maybe I don't need to do anything, just watch and see how this looks in a few days.

All it takes for me to completely unravel is to lose sleep over a long period of time. I don't think it's possible to overemphasize the importance of sleep.

Last night I realized my furnace was off and the thermostat not working. I freaked, thinking "Oh right, another thing for me to cope with, calling for furnace service in the morning."

As it turned out, the thermostat just needed new batteries, something my husband can still do for me. But I didn't know that until I totally freaked in the night. :(

It's best to try to hold off on emotional reactions until all information is gathered, but I feel funny saying that seeing as I just started freaking out about something that could possibly happen and I have no way of knowing if it actually will. :eek:

But I think it's still good advice, even if it is for me as well. :confused:

It's positive that you've recognised that you're not in the best place at the moment, so give yourself recognition for that.

It may sound trite, I don't mean it to, but it's advice that was given to me some years back and at the time I was sceptical, but it works:

Stick to a routine, an easy routine, not a rigid one - getting up around the same time, going to bed around the same time, eat regular nutritious meals, drink plenty of water, get outdoors every day for a stroll and while you're walking, take in your surroundings rather than rushing from A to B.

Say 'no' to taking on too much. Lastly, tell others that you're not in the best place. I found this one really hard, but it reaps rewards as the people who really care about you will offer to help. Sometimes just admitting to others that we're feeling low is of great benefit.

Give yourself a break :)

Be kind to yourself. Maybe pamper yourself a little. A home spa evening for instance. With a nice glass off wine or a cup of relaxing herbal tea. Or make your favorite food, watch your favorite movie, and so on.
When I feel myself slipping I make room for such evenings just to make sure I take good care of me and relax. Plus, it’s impossible to pace around the house nervously when you have nourishing masks on both hands and feet and your face and eyes!

Another thread asked what we like in terms of instrumental music, and I mentioned Ashokan Farewell. Then I found a copy online and played it. I'm almost bawling from the plaintive wail of the violin. I watched a couple of TV shows on Sunday that had sad parts, and fought back tears. This is really not like me.

The weather has been unseasonably cold and I feel punished by it. I had yard chores that in a normal November could easily be handled, but the temperature today is well below freezing and some things won't be done till spring. I'm taking it personally! (Why is this bad weather happening to MEEEEEE???)

New Threads

Top Bottom