• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

TV's / Displays in Public Waiting Rooms

Coping with the blaring noise that gets added to the chaotic noise of everything else in the area?

Or the horrible flashing lights that you can't ignore unless you're literally facing directly in the opposite direction (and even then not always, because light reflects off of everything)?

I do struggle with those things.

Earplugs help, although they only dull the noise around me, they don't actually block it out.

I am assuming that you mean it is the loudness and difficulty dealing with the noise and enormous screens, when you can't escape them. I hate those also.

I tried complaining to the receptionist once. She said that she could not turn the things off because they got piad for running them. She did turn it down, however. That was some help.

This was one of the times when I pulled out a piece of napkin and chewed it up to make impromptu earplugs. I sat as far away from the noise as possible, while facing away from them and tried to read.

One of the very few times when it should be ok to discharge a firearm in public ;):rolleyes:

Along withd the days ending in 'y'
I am assuming that you mean it is the loudness and difficulty dealing with the noise and enormous screens, when you can't escape them. I hate those also.

I tried complaining to the receptionist once. She said that she could not turn the things off because they got piad for running them. She did turn it down, however. That was some help.

This was one of the times when I pulled out a piece of napkin and chewed it up to make impromptu earplugs. I sat as far away from the noise as possible, while facing away from them and tried to read.

You go outside without earplugs are you insane?

Always keep my silicon macks in pocket.

The only waiting room I've sat in recently was waiting to go in to see the dentist. The sound on the visual display was turned off. The waiting room was also very quiet. (And lovely neutral colours, comfortable seats, healthy looking plants, water dispenser)

I think I focused on the display to purposely use it as a distraction as I was about to go in for an extraction.
The ease and positive benefits of teeth/tooth implants and easy payment schemes being preferable to anticipating pain and disaster in my own imagination.

I have trouble with a doctors' waiting room. Lots of illness and germs and distraught, upset children, stressed mothers, unwashed people, loud mobile phone conversations.
Headphones on listening to music and playing a game on my phone sometimes helps.

I have trouble with a doctors' waiting room. Lots of illness and germs and distraught, upset children, stressed mothers, unwashed people, loud mobile phone conversations.

I feel exactly the same. We were always brought up to speak quietly in waiting rooms, because not everybody wants to hear what you have to say, and it's full of ill people who are probably feeling...well, ill. These days it's like nobody cares about anyone else in the room, or that they're also trying to listen out for their name being called. Kids running about screaming, mobile phone conversations and the worst - people coughing and sneezing without covering their face or using a tissue. Just because you're here with a physical and probably contagious illness, does not mean you should share.

As for televisions in waiting rooms, it's not so much of an issue for me, because doctors (here at least) don't have them in the waiting room. The only places I've been that did have TV's would be my dentists, which isn't an issue as it's always pretty quiet and they come out to call you (so no straining to hear a speaker) and a couple of the mental health office waiting rooms. That isn't an issue either, because there's usually very few other people waiting and again, they come out to call you.

I've never encountered a tv with the sound on in waiting rooms. Some waiting rooms here do have a tv screen, mostly with information and local news in text though. No flashing or sounds.I don't mind this, it gives me something to look at while not making eye contact with other people.

I remember going to a psychologists office where they had the news playing on the television. If you are feeling depressed or mentally unstable the news is probably the last thing you should be watching. I also once did a practicum at a doctors office where they tuned in to a vary trashy reality TV station.

In general I kind of agree that having TVs in these kinds of spaces is a bad idea. If it is just being used to run quiet PSAs that's one thing, but adding more noise to an already busy environment and subjecting people to media they may not be interested in is discourteous. This is to say nothing of sensory issues.

My girlfriend has sensory issue that are far worse than mine. If there is a TV in her field of view she has great difficulty focusing on anything else. We have to either position her so she can't see them or ask the proprietors to turn them off.

One application of screens I do like is as a means of creating a relaxing backdrop. Having a natural scene on a loop can be very soothing, especially if the screens are well integrated into the decor.

I guess if you don't mind having your head filled with all that garbage they feed to the masses via the screens. Sheep mentality is bad enough let alone the involuntary aspect to being fed like so. TV/Displays are everywhere we go. Hell ... they have them embedded into the backs of air plane seats as well as drop them from the roof whilst on the go. Pffft - They are everywhere we go!

Hear them? You don't have to hear them to be reminded of the senseless fear mongering and shallow brainwashing antics that have the masses looking up for their hourly hit of distraction. No wonder people don't know how to sit still with their own thoughts. Always in need for the screen to feed them with how it is that they should think and feel. This is why people don't care about the person suffering along side them when it comes to actually connecting with something other than themselves.

All that sheep mentality aside ... YEA - I don't want to have to plug my ears up because I am deaf as it is. Those professionals that come out of their hidy holes all complacent and tired like can barley be heard when calling names as it is. The doctors is only one small part of it, but toxic enough to be sure.

Talking about places of healing LMFAO NOT - Beep BEEP and all the screens in Hospitals ... MAN those places of healing are CHAOS!!! I'd rather walk out and be hit by a truck or leap from the top floor.

The last place I sat had 3 screens going all at one. There was a delay between two sets both on the same channel. That was a nightmare. Still is. I just pace in front of people. I put of with the TVs as best I can and in turn they will just have to put up with me as best they can. Part and Parcel of this world. Pure and Simple. Ya reap what you sow!

They don't seem to care about how it drives me up the wall. Best I can do is make my appointments early as possible. I went to another doctors and they had their display screens facing the audience like in a home theater. Pictures of the doctors profiling them LMFAO ... adds and more adds ... all your usual mission statements and then you go in to be giving the meds with no regard for the real cause or even being human.

I've only just scratched the surface of how invasive and how insane that static can get for those of us that understand the oppressive nature as well as suffer the imbalance of said visual and noise pollution. The sheep will just tell you that you can request for it to be turned down ... they obvious have no idea of what the issue really is.

At any rate ... I can only say it as I see it ... I suffer it as I suffer it. I propose not to speak for others but just call it for what I deem it as is.

I do all I can to avoid public places that project in such manner ... not because I am anti social ... but because people have become so selfish that they are easily manipulated and whilst in need of constantly being told how to think and feel ... they are basically selfish with their heads stuck up their ass and screens emended in their bowels!

[expletive deleted] the Need for Screens! Mindless Sheep everywhere you go!

I remember going to a psychologists office where they had the news playing on the television. If you are feeling depressed or mentally unstable the news is probably the last thing you should be watching. I also once did a practicum at a doctors office where they tuned in to a vary trashy reality TV station.

In general I kind of agree that having TVs in these kinds of spaces is a bad idea. If it is just being used to run quiet PSAs that's one thing, but adding more noise to an already busy environment and subjecting people to media they may not be interested in is discourteous. This is to say nothing of sensory issues.

My girlfriend has sensory issue that are far worse than mine. If there is a TV in her field of view she has great difficulty focusing on anything else. We have to either position her so she can't see them or ask the proprietors to turn them off.

One application of screens I do like is as a means of creating a relaxing backdrop. Having a natural scene on a loop can be very soothing, especially if the screens are well integrated into the decor.

Relaxing Backdrop. LOL - You must be talking like an on Emirates Flight hahaha ... or some fancy restaurant. Most places here in Australia are just peddling the same old indoctrinating crap. Pure static ... unless you lap it up like sheep in a trough.

Sadly most of the places I go have some intense plastic looking individual spouting stuff about the latest terrorist massacres, People Rioting over Race related issues and on and on and on and on ... That's in between the advertising of drugs and then of course the mission statement of how grand one's facility is and bla bla bla bla ... when you get through with all that crap, you get called in and then treated according to one's status.

I see you kind of get where I am coming from. Thanks for your reply.

I am not well of late. The screens are only part of my issues but they are indeed massive triggers for me. I try to explain but the people I talk to ... well ... the world does not revolve around me. Is what it is. I have an advocate coming with me to my next appointment. I am going to let the new doctor know where I will be pacing and that I might have ear buds in to counter all the static. The screens set off my sensitivity which heightens everything else. I don't do meds and don't see why I should have to pop pills in order to fit in. I do pretty good most of the time except when having to be subject to all that static.

I'll work on it.
Thanks again. :)

The Emergency Room at the local hospital that I don't like has tv's, with sound in every nook and cranny of the over-sized waiting areas. The local hospital I do like has tiny, cozy rooms for family to wait. No television, just a few chairs and some lovely art work by a local artist.

What is the point of all the televisions? If you want to watch tv everywhere you go you most likely will show up with a smart phone or tablet and watch anything you want.

The Emergency Room at the local hospital that I don't like has tv's, with sound in every nook and cranny of the over-sized waiting areas. The local hospital I do like has tiny, cozy rooms for family to wait. No television, just a few chairs and some lovely art work by a local artist.

What is the point of all the televisions? If you want to watch tv everywhere you go you most likely will show up with a smart phone or tablet and watch anything you want.

It is for the nurses :

Drowns out the long slow drone of the ill and dying that aren't being attended to...

The first things that come to mind are "annoying" and "amusing". Annoying first and foremost for a lack of volume to pacify those who don't want to hear anything at all. Amusing when I hear people comment on their political bias when a particular cable news network is shown. Where so many (in my experience) default to "relatively harmless" programming that is so benign that I simply have no interest at all in watching, let alone hearing.

And of course in any medical environment, is it really helpful to remind people of bad news in the first place ?

At least with magazines and books there's likely to be some degree of variety which doesn't incorporate the concept of a "captive audience".

Last edited:
As your active administrator here,I must warn the posters here that Aspies Central has a strict policy against the excessive use of profanities and finding clever workarounds for bypassing the censoring software.

Anyone else struggle with this issue?

One horrible example is I was waiting recently in the waiting room at the clinic... The TV was so freaking loud... It was the medical network or something like that??? And after each doctors blah blah blah... They would show horrible images of diseases and stuff and talk about death if your not treated...

Then the big Pharma commercials would come on and tell you how good this med works but at the end give a long list of how it can kill you... It was just perfect... If you want to go commit suicide!!!!!!!!

Geez. I dislike that and all TV mostly. I just take my head phones and try and drown it all out, but then I cant hear them call my name and get a nasty look from the nurse who just kind of swatted at my knee telling me to "COME ON" Yes ma'am, you Hildabeast.

I do so dislike waiting rooms and doctors offices... I dread them for days before I have to go. Sometimes I just cancel and don't go...

I'm not a public place person so I have a very skewed opinion, and I understand that others may not have these thoughts... : )

If the tv is loud it will bother me. Not sure what you mean by displays. If they talk or have extra bright lights it may bother me, but posters and the like I'm okay with.

I just had a mental health advocate come with this this morning to help me transition to yet another doctor. (Going through doctors has become a problem for me)

We organised a spot away from the screens and also made the receptionists aware that if I don't hear to please inform me when my name is called. The advocate will be coming another two times to ensure this practice is followed up and that I am comfortable trialing this method out.

I still aim to stay away from this places and view the dynamics of using screens as toxic to people's health. Nevertheless I will work on turning this issue into some form of mediation practice. I have hearing aids but they kind of exacerbate trigger sounds.

The biggest hurdle is fostering an understanding between the receptionists, doctors and myself. Once this can be ironed out I beleive the triggers themselves will be a lot more manageable. Stigma plays a large role into the mismanagement, handling and outright disconnects that commonly take place in public spaces filled with over stimulus and sensitive peoples. This is on all sides of the fence.

I really feel our current systems our hard enough for those considered 'normal/neurotypical' let alone that those of us deemed abnormally so.

Sitting there with advocate:
I took the opportunity to explain what goes on in my brain:

3 screens. Flashing, Texting, Constant Chatter with flexed tone projected from the walls on all sides! (general media presentation) ... It starts off with the flashing heightening light sensitivity that then makes my peripheral vision more hyper sensitive. The TV's/Screen now heighten the movement of figures outside my control - I'm now hypervigilant. Phones seem to be ringing off the hook with their clinical high pitch tones that pierce thorough my focused attempts to calm myself. Footsteps then become just as annoying as too the conversations of everyone. What once started as flashing from the screens is now a flashing from every point in and around.

So it is that only way I can sustain being bombarded like so is to get up and walk backwards and forwards. I do my best to pick the less populated rows, aisles, skirting edges or whatever part of the building is less distracted for others when I go about copping as best I can. When all else fails I'll pull out my phone and start videoing others to let them know what it feels like to be subject like so. Of course that does not go down well and only leads to feeding stigma and full blown outbursts/meltdowns.

What meds are you on? Sigh ... Thankfully the advocate assisted me on this one as we spoke about that atypical response whilst driving to appointment. We talked a little about my alternatives and brought the doctor up to speed by explaining it's more about the seeking of resolution and not so much about what pills I pop. This was the main reason I had to bring in a peer support person to overcome such stigma related responses.

The doctor then asked what was my diagnosis. I had already previously brought in the clinical psychologist report (twice) which states the long list of labels and barriers that in fact was used to warrant my disability pension. Failure to acknowledge the records is where disconnect begins that has nothing to do with myself. Long story shot I will send in a digital copy after this post and inform them to once again add to the records. I will shortly be updating with an ASD account but once again is useless if they don't take the time to even skim before assessing whatever clients they see. At any rate that's another story which only adds to the anxiety of today's overwhelmed medical practices. That's putting it nicely.

Today's outcome was not a cure, but I'll be optimistic enough to say it's gone a long way to having that particular facility understand that I am capable of compromise if they in turn meet me part of the way. I think a few more assists with peer support in the waiting room should suffice. All these measures take a bit of acceptance and effort with all parties involved. Mutuality should not just be restricted to peers. Clinical facilities would do well to practice this form of respect as well. I'm glad I had the opportunity to have help and made the effort to go back instead of completely give up.

I'll say this much though ... The reality of what I must endure when waiting in these public spaces gives me more incentive to live as healthier life style I can afford in order to avoid having to attend such places.

That's a wrap on this topic for me ... thanks for listening.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom