• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trying to find help

well, they clearly have very little understanding about aspergers, that is for sure and the fact that aspergers comes under the autistic spectrum is another thing that is telling me that that 'regional centre' is ******** frankly but, just by googleing the persons name i found an interesting pdf, i suggest you read it, some parents went to court over the centre refusing to see their son to see if he has aspergers, here you go: http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/oah/dds_decisions/N2007030503.084.pdf

oh and btw, i also find it highly offensive that they categorise aspergers to be like a severe mental retardation

although, having read more, the american medical systems way of dealing with mental conditions is to just pump people full of medication

*Merged by superboyian.

This is the crap I have to deal with in America. I contact my colleges Disability support services, they tell me there is nothing they can do to help me since I don't have an official diagnosis. I contact some local clinics to see about getting a diagnosis, and they tell me it's going to cost around $5000. I make less than $500 a month! I contact the referrals my school gave me, and I get responses like the one below! 
WHAT?!   :eek: $5000 for someone to say that you're officially on the spectrum?! Do you get aftercare or support with that? You'd need to considering the price.   :blink:

WHAT?! :eek: $5000 for someone to say that you're officially on the spectrum?! Do you get aftercare or support with that? You'd need to considering the price. :blink:

Yeah, that's what it's like in the States. Worse, if you ever want to change your insurer after you get an official diagnosis, you basically can't because they'll charge you insane amounts on money or won't insure you at all because it's a preexisting condition.

This is one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to be officially DX'ed.

What about Obama's plans for free health care? Would that not mean you wouldn't have to pay insane amounts for a diagnoses? 

What about Obama's plans for free health care? Would that not mean you wouldn't have to pay insane amounts for a diagnoses? 

Nope. His plan doesn't really help anyone unless they are very poor, living in poverty. Since I live with my dad, I most likely wouldn't qualify for any of that. Also, in the health care system in America, mental health seems to be very unrepresented in topics such as healthcare policy. Not sure why, but someone should lobby congress for it. The insurance I do have, through my father, has a very weak psychiatric department, and quite honestly, gets such bad reviews, I would not trust them to diagnose me at all. They are the kind of doctors who hands you medication and kicks you out. No long term treatment at all.

I really hate where I live. I've been trying to find support services to help me out with college, and just daily life in general. Below is a copy of an email I received in response to me being referred to them by my college. From the very first paragraph, it very much makes me doubt they truly have an understanding of what Aspergers is. 70 to 75 IQ and mentally retarded? That is just insulting to begin with, not to mention utterly incorrect with all the modern data available for aspergers and high functioning autism.

They also claim since I attend college that I'm high functioning enough to not warrant their services??? I find this very ironic since I'm trying to get help so I don't have to drop out of college!

This is the crap I have to deal with in America. I contact my colleges Disability support services, they tell me there is nothing they can do to help me since I don't have an official diagnosis. I contact some local clinics to see about getting a diagnosis, and they tell me it's going to cost around $5000. I make less than $500 a month! I contact the referrals my school gave me, and I get responses like the one below!

What the **** am I supposed to do now?! There is literally no help available for me. I suffer from extreme depression, and have had suicidal thoughts for the last 4 years of my life. No matter where I go there is no fking help! even if I tell them I want to die they simply ignore me and refer me to another place.

Welcome tot he club. I am far more low functioning than you and have no options. I also have diagnoses that were made on three occasions. Still all I ever get is money from my state, no actual help in any other way. Since I'm over 18 I am totally screwed. They feel once you cross that magic age you are an adult and must somehow get over everything and make a life for yourself when you are totally useless to yourself or anyone else. But this is just whining, nothing is ever going to change. Paperwork and protocol is more important than human life. That's been proven by idiots who hold all the pwer time and time again.

New Threads

Top Bottom