• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

trying to decide what kind of computer keyboard is right for me

musicalman

Hi everyone,
I'm one of those who dived head-first into the mechanical keyboard camp, and now am questioning whether I like them after using one for almost three years. In fact, I'm questioning whether I like desktop keyboards in general now lol.

As someone who is blind, I use computers completely with the keyboard. Until 2016 though, I just used whatever cheap keyboard that was available, and it was often a membrane/rubber dome keyboard. I was never particular about how they felt until my last one began really wearing out. I was fully set on going out and getting one exactly like what I had, but a friend of mine told me that having a mechanical has improved his typing speed/accuracy, and gaming performance. I do play a few games, and type a lot, so I was interested.

For better or for worse I am the type of person to get curious and want to try everything. I took to Twitter and asked about whether mechanicals lived up to the praise. Except for one person, Everyone who responded was like "seriously you neeeed to get one!" I remember one follower promising that I would never, ever want to go back. Judging by her insanely quick response times without any typos, I assumed she was an insanely fast typist, and this was just about the time when I thought I was about as fast and accurate as I could ever be. I think that really had me convinced that a mechanical made you type better.

When I was looking at keyboards on display, I believed I had found the reasons why people liked this so much. Clicky switches did feel satisfying, and since I am sensitive to that sort of thing, I felt the click would give me some extra tactile sensory stim when typing. It certainly sounded like it when I listened to them on Youtube, and for me, sound is important. Far more important than looks.

I ended up getting the keyboard my gaming friend got: the Razer Blakc Widow. Everyone I asked about it said that it was a good keyboard, with one person saying that they don't like Razer because they're pricy, so they hadn't tried the keyboard. I'm not sure what the switches on mine are called, but they're noisy.

When I started typing seriously on it though, the novelty kinda wore off. Typing was just different, but I didn't find it necessarily better. I felt a lot of movement in the keys before they hit bottom, and equally as much movement when letting them come back to the top, which I'm not used to. I don't have to press the keys very far for them to register, but I'm still looking for a bottom anyway. While I like the sound of the clicky switches I have, they don't really do it for me in a tactile way. I should've listened to quiet switches a little more carefully, because I can hear how much the keys can travel, and I really don't like it.

Another illustration of travel is that I often type double capital letters by holding shift too long. This is a common thing with me and with everyone I'm sure, but it's always happened more on the mechanical. It's gotten better because I've started slowing down a little more when I hit shift, but this was something I had to almost consciously make myself do at first, and I still do it more than I used to.

As I was typing this post I decided to get my laptop out to refresh my memory on its keyboard feel. It's a Dell from 2012 (I'd have to look up the model if anyone is curious, but I don't believe there's much special about the keyboard). I used it for 4 years almost daily while I was in college. The funny thing is that I still feel more comfortable on it, even though I haven't really used it or any keyboard like it in about two years. The keys have a bit of resistance, but when they start to go down, they immediately bottom out. They don't travel much, but they do have a nice bump sensation both when they go down and when I release them, so I can type lightly but confidently. They don't have as much of the sponginess as a lot of desktop membrane keyboards seem to have, and which I've now come to dislike. Also I like how the laptop keys are slightly closer together, which makes typing easier for me. Come to think of it, I think most of the keyboards I used before have been that way though.

The thing the mechanical has really improved for me is gaming, which is what it's really made for. I have read that preferences for keyboards can change dramatically depending on whether we're talking about gaming or typing though. The wider spacing of the keys on the mechanical does make mashing the arrow keys easier if I have to do that, and I can see why other tasks would be easier with it too. There are moments where I can tell the mechanical is making a definite difference for the better. Plus, since those keyboards are built more for that sort of thing, I won't wear them out so quickly by mashing keys.

So can anyone relate to this at all, or am I just crazy? I'm trying to look around to see if I can find a keyboard that I like better for typing, where the keys have less travel and don't feel too spongy. I'm kinda over the nice click clack now, so I'd prefer something on the quiet side. I haven't actually gotten out and tried keyboards yet, but am starting to look stuff up on Youtube to get rough ideas. I'll still keep this mechanical around for gaming just in case I really think I'll need it. At this point I don't even know if mechanical or membrane is what I want. Part of me just wants to go back to the cheap membrane type I used previously, but I think I can do a little better than that. Cheap keyboards don't seem to have the build quality or solid feel which I've come to appreciate a little more than I used to.

I've seen some people recommending wireless or Bluetooth keyboards for typing, but I am looking for something for my desktop which is always going to be connected. I'm not a fan of wireless especially on my desktop. I'd rather plug it in and use and just know that it'll always work. Also I'm looking for a full size keyboard. I don't need any extra bells and whistles like lights and special keys. Maybe my wants are pretty unique and nothing really exists like that. But I really haven't looked extensively, since the market is more saturated than ever. Does anyone have ideas?

If you're still with me, thanks for reading and for any input you can offer!
Edit; fixed spelling of Razer lol

Last edited:
Well, it's a good thing you've asked because I'm rather knowledgeable in the Mechanical Keyboard realm! I actually did a few blog posts here about them a few months back.

Some questions first to help narrow down your search:

What's your budget?

What kind of Switches do you prefer? (since you already said you prefer something quiet and small travel, I'll say Cherry or Gaterons Silent line-up. They have rubber inserts on the stem to quieten the up and downstroke. They both have Red, Brown and Black switches)

What size would you prefer? (Fullsize, TKL, Compact, Ortholinear?)

If you have no use for the Numpad, I say get the GMMK TKL. It has Backlighting, but you can turn that off on the keyboard itself or with the GMMK Software.

I've got a fullsize GMMK and I love it. The switches are hot swappable (using Kailh Box Pale Blues with the click bars removed and Box Blacks, both sets of switches of which I bought off of MecKey Alpha; got the pale blues on all my keys except the modifers, which have the blacks)

I also came from a Logitech G710+ that I used for about 3 1/2 years or so, and wanted something different.

Last edited:
Hey there, thanks for your suggestions and your blog!
My budget isn't a real concern at the moment. I'm not sure how expensive these things can go, but I'm not in a big rush to get a new keyboard, so I can wait and save if I need to. But I think $200 would be my limit.

The keyboard has to be full sized because the screen reading program I use has a lot of commands requiring the numpad. There is an alternative laptop configuration but I don't like it as much.

I did some more research this morning looking into different switches. From the limited assessment I was able to make from listening to Youtube videos, those switches you suggested are definitely in the right ball park. I'm not serious enough though to need a modular keyboard like the GMMK series. I would probably just use what came on it, which I think sort of defeats the purpose.

As I kept looking at things, I kinda got overloaded. I was about to just wait until I could try some keyboards before moving forward, but then I decided to try something I should've done before I even made this thread lol. I looked up computer keyboards on Wikipedia to get a nice organized overview of the different types of keyboards. It was sort of a good reset for the brain.

I essentially read that laptop keyboards are of the scissor switch type which has less travel, similar to low profile keyboards. That low profile term, and its comparison to a laptop scissor switch, was like an aha moment. So there are other people like me who prefer something slimmer with less travel. And Come to think of it, the keyboards I used regularly from 2012 to the time I got my mechanical at the end of 2016 were all low travel, and before that, I wasn't typing as much as I am now, plus I was a kid/teenager who didn't think much about keyboards. I do remember typing on bigger keyboards sometimes and, subconsciously anyway, being glad I had something smaller at home.

Apparently low profile is a pretty recent thing for mechanicals, and I really don't know what it would feel like. I have found some full size low profile mechanicals though, which use cherry reds. I've never typed on those switches, but they seem to be as opposite from my Razer as it is possible to get. That might be a good or bad thing, I'll wait until I see one.

I'd still like to keep all my options open, so don't think I am just totally ignoring all the advice I get! I'm just so glad I found a track that definitely makes me feel like I'm onto something. For a while I really did wonder if I was crazy.

Hey there, thanks for your suggestions and your blog!
My budget isn't a real concern at the moment. I'm not sure how expensive these things can go, but I'm not in a big rush to get a new keyboard, so I can wait and save if I need to. But I think $200 would be my limit.

The keyboard has to be full sized because the screen reading program I use has a lot of commands requiring the numpad. There is an alternative laptop configuration but I don't like it as much.

I did some more research this morning looking into different switches. From the limited assessment I was able to make from listening to Youtube videos, those switches you suggested are definitely in the right ball park. I'm not serious enough though to need a modular keyboard like the GMMK series. I would probably just use what came on it, which I think sort of defeats the purpose.

As I kept looking at things, I kinda got overloaded. I was about to just wait until I could try some keyboards before moving forward, but then I decided to try something I should've done before I even made this thread lol. I looked up computer keyboards on Wikipedia to get a nice organized overview of the different types of keyboards. It was sort of a good reset for the brain.

I essentially read that laptop keyboards are of the scissor switch type which has less travel, similar to low profile keyboards. That low profile term, and its comparison to a laptop scissor switch, was like an aha moment. So there are other people like me who prefer something slimmer with less travel. And Come to think of it, the keyboards I used regularly from 2012 to the time I got my mechanical at the end of 2016 were all low travel, and before that, I wasn't typing as much as I am now, plus I was a kid/teenager who didn't think much about keyboards. I do remember typing on bigger keyboards sometimes and, subconsciously anyway, being glad I had something smaller at home.

Apparently low profile is a pretty recent thing for mechanicals, and I really don't know what it would feel like. I have found some full size low profile mechanicals though, which use cherry reds. I've never typed on those switches, but they seem to be as opposite from my Razer as it is possible to get. That might be a good or bad thing, I'll wait until I see one.

I'd still like to keep all my options open, so don't think I am just totally ignoring all the advice I get! I'm just so glad I found a track that definitely makes me feel like I'm onto something. For a while I really did wonder if I was crazy.

Yeah, Low Profile switches are indeed fairly new and so keyboards that have them are rather hard to come by, as not many are available. Also I think they'd be akin to laptop keyboards, but with actual mechanical switches rather than scissor or membrane switches.

Can't find any keyboards other than Corsair that have Silent switches, but if you're any good at soldering, you can build your own keyboard. All you'd need is the switches, case, plate if you want to do a plate build, and keycaps. Should run you about... $250 to $300 tops? I've never built my own so I'm not too sure. You could always ask on r/mechanicalkeyboards on Reddit for advice in their daily thread on new stuff to get as well, they're always fairly helpful.

I can't help you in keyboard shopping, but I can relate. I have always preferred full size keyboards that have hard keys with good travel and noise. I often use my keyboard to drive Autocad, so I control the crosshairs with the mouse in my right hand, and type everything with my left hand which is always skating across the keyboard.

I really don't like using laptops or anything else but a full size keyboard on a desktop.

New Threads

Top Bottom