1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trump's Mental Health is at a Dangerous Point, Psychologists Say

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Joshua Aaron, Oct 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua Aaron

Joshua Aaron ️Autistic Pansexual ️, Chaotic Good V.I.P Member

--Article By Psychology Today--
    --Source Article--​

Why Is the Trump Presidency of Extreme Psychological Interest?
    Since the campaign that led to his 2016 election, Donald J. Trump has defiantly flipped the presidential script, making chaos and deliberate combativeness the new normal of White House operations, manifest in hostile briefings, high rates of staff turnover, and cultural exchanges that appear aimed at dividing the nation.

There is widespread debate about the degree to which Trump should be held directly or indirectly accountable for changes in civil discourse, with some citing his rhetoric and policies as a spur to hate crimes while others claim he has been unfairly demonized by the press.

Millions of people around the country and the globe have expressed bafflement at the nature of the personality at the center of it all, and many are alarmed by tactics and policies that appear not only erratic but often retrogressive and undermining of long-established democratic practices. Chief among them is a well-documented distortion of facts if not outright lies about everything from crowd size at the inauguration to discussions with foreign heads of state.

A large segment of the population seeks to quell their emotional reactivity to the chaos of the presidency and to rationally navigate the civic, legal, and ideological battles that play out daily, from Twitter to the federal courts.

The President's Personality
    [​IMG]
    Trump’s manifest grandiosity and disregard for facts, beginning with failure to accept clear evidence about the size of the crowd attending his inauguration, has put mental health professionals in the spotlight from Day One of his presidency.

Psychologists and commentators from all ideological camps early converged on a label of narcissistic personality disorder as the condition that “explains” Trump’s behavior. Among those making this assertion are more than 70,000 mental health professionals who signed a petition warning of Trump's potential dangerousness, despite longstanding professional injunctions against "diagnosing" public figures whom experts have not personally examined.

Americans remain divided as to how authoritarian or grandiose Trump may or may not be, as well as who has the authority to make clinical pronouncements or draw historical parallels.

At some as-yet-untested point, the clinical becomes the constitutional. The behavior of President Trump has sparked both legislative action and public discussion about whether and when to invoke the 25th Amendment to the Constitution, which calls for the orderly transfer of power when a president becomes temporarily or permanently incapacitated.

What Psychological Terms Characterize the Trump Presidency?
    [​IMG]
    Trump’s presidency has given rise to heated discussion about a range of psychological phenomena, well beyond the debate about his own personality. The term “gaslighting” refers to the manipulative attempt to make people question their own perceptions or memory, and it has often been invoked to describe Trump’s actions and statements, especially those about “fake news.”

The question of whether or not Trump’s style could accurately be characterized as authoritarian has sparked analysis of other world leaders, past and present. Whatever one’s position on Trump and his policies, a narrow area of agreement for most Americans is that the political climate has never been more corrosive, and that it reflects, to a greater or lesser degree, Trump’s contrarian approach to leadership.

——————​

Yeah, I'm going to trust the experts here and say that, due to mental health issues, along with his obviously authoritarian tendencies, he is not fit for president. Another reason we should evict him straight out of Washington.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

From what I have read about the narcissistic personality,
    that seems to me to describe Mr. Trump's behavior.

This is a sort of review for me.
    My major was psychology.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I saw a Youtube video interview recently in which it was said that people with narcissistic personality as well as people with antisocial personality disorders (fka sociopaths) gravitate toward politics. They also apparently gravitate toward professions such as law and medicine. Ergo, it's believed that many politicians are narcissists or sociopaths. I believe it. Expert manipulators with prime directives of personal gain regardless of the cost to others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

So if we are going to have experts diagnose from afar, we should also consider that it is very likely that Joe Biden has dementia. The 25th amendment is being brought about not because of Trump, but in the possibility that Biden is elected. Nancy Pelosi even said it herself - that it was not about Trump. So to me it seems very likely that the democrats ultimately plan to deem Biden unfit for office if he is elected. And seems to me that is true. It is indeed concerning if the most powerful person in the world would have dementia. Kamala Harris could very well become President and the democrats will salivate at accomplishing one of their biggest goals - getting a black woman to be President. Then they can truly show the world how much they do for women and minorities. But in realty they do nothing for women or minorities, and their policies harm them despite what most media would want you to believe.

If you are concerned about Trump's mental health, then why are you not equally or more concerned about Biden's diminished cognitive abilities? If Joe Biden was a nobody and had to interview for a demanding management position I think he would have a hard time getting hired. But apparently he is somehow qualified to be the President.

5. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

I must discuss that with my mother who is in heaven ,she was a sociopath !!!! as she was a solicitor !!!that will be an interesting conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Your mother was a sociopath?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Please provide us with some links to support your contention that Biden has dementia. He looks and sounds fine to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Joshua Aaron

Joshua Aaron ️Autistic Pansexual ️, Chaotic Good V.I.P Member

He seems completely fine to me, as well. Please do send links @mw2530. Who told you that Biden has dementia? Trump? His supporters?

Biden is way too lucid to have dementia. I need you to give us at least one link well-written, logical, unbiased, peer reviewed, and professional article or other form of document from a trustworthy source to back up your claim.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tree

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

Sure it is speculation, but not a "unwarranted flight of fantasy". Joe Biden will be 78 years old in another month. I don't think it is "fantasy" that there is a real possibility that Biden would not be fit enough to finish a 4 year term. Especially when you consider the difficulty he has speaking. He seems to lose his train of thought on a regular basis.

12. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

Seems like we are listening to two different people. He loses his train of thought on a regular basis. Seems like I am getting ganged up on regarding my post, which is not surprising as conservatives are underrepresented on this site.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

I'll get you that article when you provide a well-written, logical, unbiased, peer reviewed article explaining why it is a good idea to totally get rid of the national and state governments and go back to living in "clans". You claimed something to that effect on a different thread.

14. tree

The fantasy to which I alluded was not the fact that Joe Biden is in his late 70s.
    It was the leap of imagination, unqualified by any citations to back it up,
    that the Democratic party planned to employ Joe Biden as a figure head, and then
    use the 25th amendment to instate the *real* choice for president.

15. oregano

oregano This or that?

Excuse me, but @Joshua Aaron did NOT claim as such. Instead, they was replying to ME, who suggested that a future government in the US, post-constitution, might look something like the organizational structure of Antifa. Joshua Aaron was putting me down by making a sarcastic statement to the effect of "sure, the US has it's problems, so let's just break it up and return to clans". I know sarcasm comes across poorly online, and add to that the communications difficulties we all have, but they was being sarcastic in a reply to my post. Please don't accuse somebody of something they didn't say.

16. tree

REMINDER

Members who participate in the Politics forum are expected to treat one another with courtesy and respect at all times, ESPECIALLY when you disagree with each other.

• When you disagree, address the context of the post and not the poster.
    • When you disagree with someone's position, you should post evidence and supporting statements for your position. This policy, sometimes referred to as "X means Y because of Z", must be followed especially when posting claims that are widely considered to be controversial.
    • When you disagree and you find yourself becoming frustrated and angry, step away from the computer and give yourself time to cool down.
    • Always proofread your post before hitting the "Reply" button to make sure you have responded with courtesy and respect.
    Politics Discussion Forum Statement of Purpose

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Once again, please post links.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. oregano

oregano This or that?

At 78, Biden will be the oldest man to ever take the Oath of Office for the first time on Inauguration Day, should he win. Four years later he will be 82. He himself has said that he will not run for reelection, should he successfully serve four years. He seems to regularly launch into bizarre tangents while talking, and can lose his train of thought. I think that there are preparations going on for the possibility that Biden may need to be relieved of his office in the event that his mental acuity suddenly takes a turn for the worse and he is no longer able to fulfill his duties.

Kamala Harris would be a groundbreaking president, but a deeply unpopular one-any black woman who has grown up and spent most her life in Oakland and San Francisco, with the hard leftist views she is known to hold, would immediately be widely hated by much of the country. If she then attempted to fulfill the far left's dream of enacting a permanent leftist government, she could be facing a serious rebellion in the American hinterlands, one she may not be able to handle. She has virtually no leadership experience, and certainly nothing to help her guide a fractured nation in the case of an insurrection. Trump, meanwhile, has proven himself a poor leader.

This is why I've decided to go into the wild and give up on the system.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.