• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble Sleeping

CyborgSpaceKitten

For most of my life, I have suffered from severe insomnia. When I was little I hated taking naps because I always felt like I was missing out on things, and/or that everyone did all of the fun things while I was sleeping so that I couldn't be included. I know about this because my parents told me about it, but I don't how I slept after that until I was about 12 because I tended to keep my problems to myself, and my memory doesn't go back that far. But around the age of 12 is when my insomnia started getting really bad. By the time I was 15 I often would only sleep 2 or 3 hours a night, and it got to the point where I'd just start falling asleep in class or or the bus. It got better for a short while, but now over the past 5 or 6 years or so it has gotten bad again. Currently, I only sleep a 2 or 3 hours a night, and when I do sleep I have terrible nightmares and suffer from frequent bouts of sleep paralysis. I've tried teas, aroma-therapy, peaceful sounds, medications, not using screens before bed, reading before bed, changing my diet...nothing seems to help. Is this something that any of you have problems with? Is it related to being on the spectrum? Any help would be appreciated.

i am unable to really sleep more than 6 hours, without waking up, instantly feeling hungry. and after i eat, i cannot go back to sleep. sometimes i get less. it lasted, recently, for two weeks before i got a restful sleep of a whole 9 hours three or four days ago.

i am sorry that you suffer from a considerably worse form of insomnia than i do, and that your solutions didnt work.

try exercising a lot more, and/or otherwise exhaust yourself, about 3 or more hours before you sleep, it may help. it didnt help me, stayed up 24 hours, got four hours of sleep. i was irritated. it might help you.

I am now using an IOS app called BrainWaves, it works miracles for my sleep problems.
Thank you, I'll look into that. What does the app do exactly? I've tried apps that play sounds that are supposed to help you sleep, but it didn't really help me out.

Weighted blanket? Don't know if they help insomnia or not but they are relaxing.

Weighted blanket? Don't know if they help insomnia or not but they are relaxing.

One of my counselors told me about those. Do they really help? I was thinking about trying one, but was a little hesitant because I'm claustrophobic. If it would really help though I'd be willing to try it.

I've had insomnia for years. The only thing that helps somewhat has been melatonin. I don't take it every night but take it when I really need it. Then sometimes I'm back to normal sleep somewhat. From what I know- it's not habit forming, which I'm glad for. Not a fan of meds and would be worried if I got hooked on any.

I have a sound machine that plays a rain noise but it doesn't make me sleepy.

I've had insomnia for years. The only thing that helps somewhat has been melatonin. I don't take it every night but take it when I really need it. Then sometimes I'm back to normal sleep somewhat. From what I know- it's not habit forming, which I'm glad for. Not a fan of meds and would be worried if I got hooked on any.

I have a sound machine that plays a rain noise but it doesn't make me sleepy.

Unfortunately with the medication I'm on, my doctor recommended that I don't take supplements that make me sleepy, such as melatonin or Valerian. :/

Unfortunately because I take Methadone, I can't take any sort of medications or supplements that make you drowsy. I can't even take Benadryl.

One of my counselors told me about those. Do they really help? I was thinking about trying one, but was a little hesitant because I'm claustrophobic. If it would really help though I'd be willing to try it.

I just made one, and though it's heavier than it should be, I have started using it at night. First when I read in bed and then again if I wake up early. I like heavy blankets and always have. My mom never could understand why I always wanted more quilts piled up on me. If you've never liked sleeping under a pile of quilts or afghans then it may not be your thing.

Try this:
  1. Go onto this website: Sleep Disorder Help- Get A Good Nights Sleep Naturally
  2. Head down to where it says "Insomnia Cure".
  3. Put on some headphones at a comfortable volume so it doesn't hurt your ears.
  4. On the audio on the right hand side of the page, press play and listen. The audio clip is only a minute long.
See if this helps. Here's what you may expect from listening to it.

What To Expect

Simply stated, Expect Results. Binaural Beats directly stimulate the brain by altering the operating frequency. Some of the common physical effects are:

1. The body feeling heavy and the inability to move freely
  2. Total relaxation of the entire body from head to toe
  3. Vivid visualizations, colors, and patterns
  4. Separation of the conscious and subconscious mind
  5. No Anxiety or Stress. Expect a sensation of all Tension leaving your body.
  6. Feeling of sedation

Every person's brain works differently, but on the same basic principles. Some minds are more open to suggestion, while others refuse to let go. Reports of "Wild Experiences" are not uncommon, while others enjoy more mild relaxed effects. While each recording is specifically designed for a purpose, experiences will differ from person to person. Just remember that your mind wants what you want. Don't be afraid of your own consciousness. You're not going to be apart any time soon.

I just made one, and though it's heavier than it should be, I have started using it at night. First when I read in bed and then again if I wake up early. I like heavy blankets and always have. My mom never could understand why I always wanted more quilts piled up on me. If you've never liked sleeping under a pile of quilts or afghans then it may not be your thing.

How did you go about making a weighted blanket? I have recently been looking into them because of my restless leg and desire since I was a baby to have extra weight on me (or be wrapped/swaddled for better sleep) but they are very expensive to purchase. I would love to know how to go about making one for myself if you have any pointers:)

For most of my life, I have suffered from severe insomnia. When I was little I hated taking naps because I always felt like I was missing out on things, and/or that everyone did all of the fun things while I was sleeping so that I couldn't be included. I know about this because my parents told me about it, but I don't how I slept after that until I was about 12 because I tended to keep my problems to myself, and my memory doesn't go back that far. But around the age of 12 is when my insomnia started getting really bad. By the time I was 15 I often would only sleep 2 or 3 hours a night, and it got to the point where I'd just start falling asleep in class or or the bus. It got better for a short while, but now over the past 5 or 6 years or so it has gotten bad again. Currently, I only sleep a 2 or 3 hours a night, and when I do sleep I have terrible nightmares and suffer from frequent bouts of sleep paralysis. I've tried teas, aroma-therapy, peaceful sounds, medications, not using screens before bed, reading before bed, changing my diet...nothing seems to help. Is this something that any of you have problems with? Is it related to being on the spectrum? Any help would be appreciated.
Oh man do I relate to your post! I have always had vivid dreams but the past few years they have turned to agonizing nightmares that ruin me for the whole day. I think mine are PTSD related but I have been reading up on Carl lungs ideas about dreaming and it may help you, or not, but it's worth a try, hope you get some help somewhere though, it's miserable, and sleep is so important to overall well-being.

I
How did you go about making a weighted blanket? I have recently been looking into them because of my restless leg and desire since I was a baby to have extra weight on me (or be wrapped/swaddled for better sleep) but they are very expensive to purchase. I would love to know how to go about making one for myself if you have any pointers:)
I started a thread to ask about them not long ago. Several people offered really good advice. Toothless even put up a video showing his blanket. Some other people offered advice for making one.

I ended up needing help guiding it under the needle but I suspect using the proper plastic pellets rather than play sand would be an easier sewing experience. It was also very time consuming for me, I am rather slow with sewing projects and tend to take four times as long as anyone else. But the end result was so favorable that I am planning on making more though with the proper filler this time. Here is the weighted blanket discussion.

I could use some weighted blanket advice

Last edited:
"Is this something that any of you have problems with? Is it related to being on the spectrum? Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Insomnia is a cruel *****, and can be self perpetuating. My nightly "sleep set-up" : 3mg of melatonin, 1 Valerian, 500mg of Magnesium. ( I have "genetic insomnia", plus I do something called "intermittent fasting" that is notorious for causing sleep issues. ) Also, I use a "progressive relaxation technique. Yes, it works - no side-effects, all natural. Good luck to you <3

"Is this something that any of you have problems with? Is it related to being on the spectrum? Any help would be appreciated.

"Insomnia is a cruel *****, and can be self perpetuating. My nightly "sleep set-up" : 3mg of melatonin, 1 Valerian, 500mg of Magnesium. ( I have "genetic insomnia", plus I do something called "intermittent fasting" that is notorious for causing sleep issues. ) Also, I use a "progressive relaxation technique. Yes, it works - no side-effects, all natural. Good luck to you <3

I wish I could, but I'm currently taking methadone so I can't take anything like melatonin that makes me sleepy. I appreciate the advice though! :)

If you have tried all of thr above to no avail and are extremely desperate, go to YouTube and search "UltraHypnosis". He is REALLY good at what he does, typically he uses a spiral for his videos but while it's a good way to get yourself static, the main part of his spells is just listening to his voice. Throughout pretty much the majority of all his spells he starts by putting you to sleep, even for ones that Don't aim solely to put you to sleep (eg the recreational ones or the therapeautic ones) but in the ones where he helps you sleep, two things to listen for are the snap of his fingers and the part where he goes "Ssshhhhhhhhhh...", first time I heard that shush I just got so heavy.

I'm telling you man there's a cure for everything. if it's your first time being hypnotized it's going to be just a little spooky, but just trust this guy and have faith and him; your whole perception of life will change for the better. Sweet dreams!

New Threads

Top Bottom